PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else having a bad year?

APLUS LAWN CARE
04-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but this year has not been off to a very good start. To start with, my truck started leaking oil around the beginning of the year. I went to the mechanic and he told me it was the valve cover gaskets that were leaking. I believed him and had him change them. However, the leaking did not stop so I consulted another mechanic. I was told by that mechanic that it was a leaking rear main seal. I did not have him change it because I was leery about spending that kind of money so I decided to get a second opinion. I checked with yet another mechanic who told me that he had seen this before and that it was a bad headgasket. I did not know who to believe so I did some research on the internet and found that the type of truck I have had been known to leak oil out of the head gasket (something I had never heard of before). So I took it back to the last mechanic about a week ago and he still has it. So, needless to say, I have not had a truck for about week and I don't have a backup truck so it has been interesting trying to get anything done. Well the mechanic called today and informed me that the intake gasket was bad and it needed replaced as well, another $350 on top of the $1,100 it is already going to cost. On top of all of this, I have been having quite a few mower breakdowns lately. It has to get better because it sure can't get worst!

american dream
04-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Never say it can't get worse cause guess what insure can fast! Hop things turn around for you soon.

APLUS LAWN CARE
04-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Good point, things could actually be ALOT worst than they are. It has just been one of those days when nothing has went right.

american dream
04-03-2012, 11:11 PM
If it makes youfeel better I trashed a brand new walker blower $500 plus a half day my labor to change 800$ worth ball joints 900$ tiers snapped a throttle cable on g3 and it's only Tuesday!

scotts lawn care
04-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I hear ya aplus. The bad days make the good days that much better, keep your head up, things will get better!

zak406
04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
I got you beat, I found out after my hockey season this year that I had to have surgery on my hip. Get this, im a broke college kid that now has to pay someone to have all my work done (so I dont lose any customers). Im on crutches for four weeks and I cant do anything until july other than rehab...

APLUS LAWN CARE
04-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I hear ya aplus. The bad days make the good days that much better, keep your head up, things will get better!

Amen to that!

billythekid
04-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Out of curiousity APLUS what kind of truck? year.motor, etc

TriCityLawnCareLLC
04-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Eh, gotta take the good with the bad. 1/2 mile from home i get a flat tire. I limp home. get tire to my buddy (mechanic out of his house, with a tire machine and balancer) hole is too big to patch or plug. 10pm get home to put spare tire on (never before used since bought new in 05) spare tire won't come down, appears GM's wonderful design of the secondary lock is frozen up. I worked on it for about an hour and i just left everthing and came inside to unwind, shower and sleep. I've been crazy busy, tonights plan after work (got home around 8) was to do office work. Meh, everything happens for a reason.

Richard Martin
04-04-2012, 03:05 AM
Well the mechanic called today and informed me that the intake gasket was bad and it needed replaced as well, another $350 on top of the $1,100 it is already going to cost.

Boy did they bend you over. If your truck has a V-6 or V-8, it's impossible to change the head gasket without destroying the intake gasket. Replacing the intake gasket is part of the job. A professional shop should have been able to do this entire job for under $1,000 (parts are less than $50) and have it in and out in a day.

1whitetail
04-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Boy did they bend you over. If your truck has a V-6 or V-8, it's impossible to change the head gasket without destroying the intake gasket. Replacing the intake gasket is part of the job. A professional shop should have been able to do this entire job for under $1,000 (parts are less than $50) and have it in and out in a day.

I was thinking the same thing. You always have to replace the intake manifold gasket when you replace the head gaskets.

jrs.landscaping
04-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I am having the same type of year with trucks. One of our dumps went to the shop on a ramp truck because it wouldn't start. It was a bad Fuel Module, one week later the oil pump let go and was towed again. Once there they found bad injectors and a bunch of other stuff. Cost around 7k to get the truck fixed. Now it runs like a champ. Hopefully the rest of the year is less costly.

APLUS LAWN CARE
04-04-2012, 10:50 AM

I apologize, I said that wrong. It wasn't the intake gasket they were replacing, it was the whole intake manifold.

APLUS LAWN CARE
04-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Out of curiousity APLUS what kind of truck? year.motor, etc

1997 f-150 4.6L Romeo

APLUS LAWN CARE
04-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Update: I got the truck out of the shop, finally. It ended up costing around $1,380. The good thing is that it is running good and back to normal, Thank God. Now, the hydrostat is getting weak on my mower. It costs about $800 for the hydrostat. I am just going to get a new mower and fix this one later when I have the time and money.

OakNut
04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
If it makes you feel any better, in the fall my dog needed a $5,000 surgery, the following week, the cat ran up a $400 bill, and my truck needed brakes AND rotors to pass inspection.

I shoveled 4 driveways over the entire winter. That was my income for the winter.

So far so good this spring until this morning.
Today, my truck was making noises so I got it to my mechanic pronto to have it checked. Bad front wheel bearing. Getting replaced in the morning.

It got me thinking about what I'd do if I were stuck without my truck for more than a day or two.

APLUS LAWN CARE
04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
If it makes you feel any better, in the fall my dog needed a $5,000 surgery, the following week, the cat ran up a $400 bill, and my truck needed brakes AND rotors to pass inspection.

I shoveled 4 driveways over the entire winter. That was my income for the winter.

So far so good this spring until this morning.
Today, my truck was making noises so I got it to my mechanic pronto to have it checked. Bad front wheel bearing. Getting replaced in the morning.

It got me thinking about what I'd do if I were stuck without my truck for more than a day or two.

I guess we all have rough patches from time to time. I am just waiting to get out of this rut. Things are starting to look better though. One good thing about the mowing breaking is that I will be getting a better mower, even though I don't really have the money for it.

I was without my truck for about a week, that was a nightmare.