PDA

View Full Version : Any Spring Overseeding Success Stories Yet?

Smallaxe
04-04-2012, 11:49 AM
We don't have any Crabgrass around here, but niether has the seed applied this Spring germinated either...
Is anyone else out there growing grass???

nortonlawncare
04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I haven't done any overseeding yet, i usually wait till then end of april to throw down any seed. I dunno why i do wait till then but i always seem to have all my jobs for seeding done then

MikeInMKE
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Smallaxe,

Yes, in Grafton, WI. There was a handful of days in the middle of March that got into the high 70's, but it's been mid-50's and below since.

Thus far, I have not seen any crabgrass, but I'm not all that good at spotting it until it's too late.

On 3/12, I overseeded two neighboring sections of shaded lawn, separated by a chain link fence.

The procedure I used was to spread by hand Seed Express SS6000 (Predator hard fescue, Zodiac chewings fescue, Garnet creeping red fescue, Intrigue chewings fescue and Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass). I top-dressed that with a thin layer of topsoil, which I spread with the back of a garden rake. A week ago, I finally had the time to put out two daisy-chained impact sprinklers on one of the two sections, irrigating for ten minutes at 7AM, noon, and 5PM.

Both the irrigated and non-irrigated sections have new grass about an inch tall. However, the irrigated section has twice the germination of the non-irrigated section.

I know that amount of irrigation seems light, but last year I found that the areas that received at least some, but not much irrigation had much better germination rates than those areas that received non or lots of irrigation.

The big question is when I should put down Dimension. Given the seed I put down contains several different cultivars, I doubt they have all germinated. I may just skip the first app of Dimension on just these two sections of lawn to give all the cultivars a chance to germinate, and use Drive on any crab that comes up before the second app.

RigglePLC
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
We have plenty of crabgrass up around here. However, the weather has cooled off so it is growing somewhat slowly. I could have overseeded during the warm spell, 87 two weeks ago. But I did not.

But I did start some 2 by 10 foot plots this week. Light rake and throw down seed.

In small pots I used Dimension to treat new grass that was only 2 inches tall. So far no sign of injury to the grass. (I am sure it is mainly rye).

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Riggle how do you have loads of crabgrass? None here so far (usually my bare dirt full sun garden gets it pretty quickly but none yet). Now with temps in the low 60's/upper 50's and overnight temps in the 30's, don't anticipate crab to be a problem for a while now. That said, I am using Dimension this season just in case, split app.

Smallaxe
04-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Smallaxe,

Yes, in Grafton, WI. There was a handful of days in the middle of March that got into the high 70's, but it's been mid-50's and below since.

Thus far, I have not seen any crabgrass, but I'm not all that good at spotting it until it's too late.

On 3/12, I overseeded two neighboring sections of shaded lawn, separated by a chain link fence.

The procedure I used was to spread by hand Seed Express SS6000 (Predator hard fescue, Zodiac chewings fescue, Garnet creeping red fescue, Intrigue chewings fescue and Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass). I top-dressed that with a thin layer of topsoil, which I spread with the back of a garden rake. A week ago, I finally had the time to put out two daisy-chained impact sprinklers on one of the two sections, irrigating for ten minutes at 7AM, noon, and 5PM.

Both the irrigated and non-irrigated sections have new grass about an inch tall. However, the irrigated section has twice the germination of the non-irrigated section.

I know that amount of irrigation seems light, but last year I found that the areas that received at least some, but not much irrigation had much better germination rates than those areas that received non or lots of irrigation.

The big question is when I should put down Dimension. Given the seed I put down contains several different cultivars, I doubt they have all germinated. I may just skip the first app of Dimension on just these two sections of lawn to give all the cultivars a chance to germinate, and use Drive on any crab that comes up before the second app.

Not sure which direction Grafton is from here(I don't get out much), but I must say that if we had any CG above ground, it would be dead now from the frost... and even colder tonite... fortunately fescues and KBG will be fine, well into the lower teens...

I will continue to wait for germination with what's there, but will try again after the 1st app of pre-m has gone through... Unfortunately I don't control the squirt&fert on this lawn...
Thanks for the story, it is good to know that somewhere in Wisco, Spring germination is happening... :)

Greenery
04-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I did some late seeding in the fall and it has actually come up quite nicely for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
I did some late seeding in the fall and it has actually come up quite nicely for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device

Here too... the dormant seeding came up great, but seed I've placed this Spring,,, not so well, yet...
Another hard frost last nite, with parts of my garden being white, with a possible crust, at sunrise... :(

RigglePLC
04-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Dormant seeding sowed March 6th 2012, as a test in an outdoor flower pot (plunged 2 inches deep in soil) is up. But weather had record warmth around here.

Frost at 29 degrees her last night April 5th. There was a slight film of ice on rain water collection bucket, but so far, no damage to crabgrass across the street.

Smallaxe
04-06-2012, 04:37 PM
I think I seeded on March 11 and didn't consider it "dormant" seeding, in that the soil was thawed, never to freeze again, and the air temps stayed above 29 degrees for the remainder of the month...

I'm going to do what you just indicated, once it warms up... I'll make some aeration holes in the garden and dump seed to see what happens through the course of the season... I do have doll plugs on some of my lawns, to watch... but here I'll have better understanding of what is happening...

Is that CG across the street getting larger???

RigglePLC
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Crabgrass in the neglected lawn across the street is growing slowly. Last nights frost--had no apparent affect--but--another frost is expected tonight.

MikeInMKE
04-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Just how hard of a frost is necessary to kill off CG?

A few nights this past week the temperature has dipped, though briefly, below the freezing point. Even so, the CG in my neighbor's lawn looked quite healthy yesterday. I will check it again today.

But last night, around 10PM, the temperature dipped below 32F, got as low as 27F at 5AM, and then warmed above freezing around 7AM. This morning, frost was visible on the lawn.

suzook
04-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Just how hard of a frost is necessary to kill off CG?

A few nights this past week the temperature has dipped, though briefly, below the freezing point. Even so, the CG in my neighbor's lawn looked quite healthy yesterday. I will check it again today.

But last night, around 10PM, the temperature dipped below 32F, got as low as 27F at 5AM, and then warmed above freezing around 7AM. This morning, frost was visible on the lawn.

I have seen cg tolerate low 20's this time of year. The roots are well protected by the warmer soil we have.

Smallaxe
04-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Those last couple of rains, during the freezing overnites we've had over the past couple of weeks, have done the trick... the rains of course were during the past few days... but the overnite lows have also been below freezing over the past few days... sometimes with warm sun during the daytime...

The main thing is is that the seed finally germinated... I noticed it yesterday and soaked it all down again... the ground has been thawed for about a month now so the roots should be out of danger of the root inhibiting "CG Preventor" by the time it is applied...

How many LCOs believe that daily watering and a constant, wet surface is necessary for germination???
I watered twice during that time, we had 3 rains, constant wind, over 50% freezing nites from the time of planting to noticeable germination... about 3 weeks total... 5 waterings in 3 weeks... :)

suzook
04-08-2012, 11:38 AM
How many LCOs believe that daily watering and a constant, wet surface is necessary for germination???
I watered twice during that time, we had 3 rains, constant wind, over 50% freezing nites from the time of planting to noticeable germination... about 3 weeks total... 5 waterings in 3 weeks... :)

I'm thinking if you watered more often, it would have germinated quicker. Who knows though with this wacky late winter/early spring we have had.

RigglePLC
04-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Good going, Axe. Three weeks is a long wait for germination, but you were patient--as if you had any choice. Right you are. No need for daily watering under cool conditions--unless you are using warm water--perhaps. Our water comes out of Lake Michigan--so cold you can hardly drink it.

No grass seed germination here and none planted until about 5 days ago. Crabgrass is up in spots. About an inch tall. Not injured by recent frost.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=243827&stc=1&d=1332870892

Everything in the above picture is crabgrass--except for young maple tree seedlings. Picture was taken about March 25, 2012. There is a reddish residue of maple tree bud scales--red maple.

Smallaxe
04-08-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking if you watered more often, it would have germinated quicker. Who knows though with this wacky late winter/early spring we have had.

The interesting thing about that notion is that one area had to be delayed because the ground hadn't thawed all the way yet... It was planted 9 days later than the 1st one, so having 16 days from seeding/soaking 1 time to germination, at the same rate at the same time...
All the while with freezing air temps at night and 50s during the day, and don't forget the dessicating winds... I believe we are dealing with substance, "outside the box"... :)

suzook
04-08-2012, 12:45 PM
The interesting thing about that notion is that one area had to be delayed because the ground hadn't thawed all the way yet... It was planted 9 days later than the 1st one, so having 16 days from seeding/soaking 1 time to germination, at the same rate at the same time...
All the while with freezing air temps at night and 50s during the day, and don't forget the dessicating winds... I believe we are dealing with substance, "outside the box"... :)

Not disagreeing, but how is that seed germinating with such little water? The moisture from the soil, and morning frost/dew?

Smallaxe
04-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Not disagreeing, but how is that seed germinating with such little water? The moisture from the soil, and morning frost/dew?

It isn't such little water... ever sit down on the dry ground in the evening to talk with a pretty girl in the park, and discover that your shorts are stuck to your backside in an embarrassing fashion??? and it's the color of the ground???

Once the seed is 'in the soil' there is all kinds of ways that water perculates through that micro-system, even through the natural activity of fungi... Once that seed soaks up the moisture it is only waiting for the correct moment to pop... Seeds even have the ability to absorb moisture from humidity in the air, which is why seed can germinate in its plastic bag, once opened...

This time of year, I don't worry about drying out unless you see the surface turning to powder under the midday sun...

suzook
04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Makes sense but we haven't had much precipitation at all this year along with low humidity and fire warnings because of it, so I'm keeping my soil moist with irragation.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
04-16-2012, 11:24 AM
New seed is up, after 13 days. Its amazing. Seed was planted April 3rd 2012. We had a short dry spell, but then a good rain or two. True, the new sprouts are only about a half-inch tall, but if you get down on your knees and look close...
The only seed that has sprouted so far is Scotts "Classic". Its a cheapie mix that has about 30 percent rye grass. Two other types have not sprouted yet,(Scotts "Sun and Shade", and "Heat Tolerant Blue"). Soil temp is 60 degrees. Seed was planted in a shady area that was nearly bare due to shade. I sowed one ounce of seed on 10 sq foot plots. Soil was lightly raked with a leaf rake before adding seed--no other preparation. No starter fert.
Air temp is 61 at the moment.

BOSS LAWN 2343
04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
I planted my seed about March 13th and most of it came in, some of it is just starting. Put down starter fert. two weeks ago, temps have been up and down but now its in the 30's.