PDA

View Full Version : My take on the YBravo 21, correct me if I'm wrong.

Lance L
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
First off I'm in the Dallas area, and I bought this mower about a year ago. I was very impressed with what they have done, and the problems they seemed to have addressed with the Toro 21s we use.

Such as - no loose cables, height adjusters don't look like they can wear out, belt can be changed easily out in the field, heavier blade will take more sharpening and more of a beating(it happens), wheels look like they will hold up better, the braces for the handle don't look like they would wear out or need constant tightening, removes the pinions that wear out from the rear wheels, more solid deck, cheaper parts, no grease points.

I did only use this on my own lawn and when I go out and mow a lawn every now and then so it probably only has 30 hours on it.

The 2nd time I mowed my lawn, the little plastic insert that goes in the rear wheels for the drive to work broke, the girl where I bought it gave me the part at no charge and said she hadn't seen that happen before so no big deal, it hasnt happened since. More recently, its not rolling back, sometimes the transmission locks up and I have to drag it, which is no fun, not that I'm dragging it all over, but I don't think this should be an issue. The last problem I've had with this mower, is the quality of cut, it has been bad in both tall and regular conditions, I shouldn't say bad, but it isn't as good as the Toros, the lift just isn't there, it leaves strays all over. And yes the blades are sharp. It will pack a bag better than a Toro will, but we rarely bag anything so that isn't much of a concern for me.

Conclusion - I really like the thought, I have been brainstorming something similar for my Toros for a while, to simplify them and address the problems I could easily fix(for instance we only run the traction cable, and no throttle or kill cable). But at the end of the day the quality of the cut is what matters to the customer, they aren't concerned with the mower being cheaper to buy/maintain, they want their yard to look like it was mowed by a pro when they get home, and I don't think the cut quality is up to par with the Toro for me to replace our mowers with these.

I haven't been on this site for a very long time, so if any of these issues have been addressed feel free to respond, that's why I put in the title correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Thanks!!

headz77
04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Do a search on the transmission issue- wasn't that a problem they addressed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lance L
04-04-2012, 11:04 PM
The only transmission issue I was able to find had to do with the case busting open on the bottom.

Mikegyver
04-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Are you sure its the transmission and not the little ratchets in the wheel?

greenerman
04-05-2012, 01:16 AM
How is your belt tension? If it is too tight or you get debris on it you could have these issues.

Exact Rototilling
04-05-2012, 01:27 AM
The updated transmission on the 25 has a red mark on the housing....? Not sure about the 21".

The cut quality on.the 25 is.better than many 21's. Can't speak for the Ybravo 21...?

Was the quality better before and only recently deteriorated...? Or has.it always been poor?

Hands down my BOP mowers leave a nicer cut than the Ybravo 25. I belive the cut can be improved with a better blade. Ybravo seems to be content with a copy of.the Exmark metro 26 blade. I'm not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
04-05-2012, 01:41 AM
If my.memory is correct I.belive Ybravo has more blades.available from the 21....? Check their website.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lance L
04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the slow response!

The ratchets you speak of are actually built into the transmission, I am pretty sure that is where the problem is, but I don't think that they can be serviced, but I shouldn't need to as new as this machine is.

I will check the belt tension, the way it acts, I doubt that is the problem because it never tries to surge forward, the wheels will either lock up, or have a lot of resistance and not roll freely.

The cut quality has always been poor IMHO, and I do have the other blade options, and they don't seem to help.