PDA

View Full Version : Toro grandstand love it or hate it?

svaleko
04-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Hello everybody
I would appreciate any feedback I could get on it.
I have recently purchased a used Toro Grandstand 36" 2010 with 220 hours on it. I heard these mowers were touchy, but it seems to be really tough to make it go straight. Everything was checked on it as far as the tire pressure, the pumps are fine as well everything seems to be in good shape. It seems to be pulling to the left when going forward and when in reverse the left wheel goes with more power then the right one, it also creeps in neutral when on a slight slope. I tired the dealer's demo model and it seemed to be doing the same thing. I just read the manual and I know that some adjustments could be done and when I mentioned it to the dealer he said that it is pretty much gonna be the same no matter what I do with is as far as adjusting. He told me that it is adjusted to its best and I just have to play more with it and get used to it. . Toro company advertised it as being one of the best and easiest mowers to use - "anybody could use it" - I realize that this is my first hydro mower and I have to get used to it , but I had no idea it would be such a pain in the ... I used bob cats walk behind with kawasaki engine and thought I would upgrade, now I am having second thoughts.... Maybe it was a mistake. There is also a chance that maybe this particular dealer does not know too much about it as that model came out a couple years ago and he said himself they did not sell too many of them and did not do any work on any of them. Does anybody have ( did have) similar issues with Toro grandstand particularly 36" deck - I know that the bigger the deck is the more stable it feels . Thank you for your help

cutn4alivin
04-04-2012, 09:21 PM
first off you have a 36 ride on machine. Anything that little and the way the platform is will have a learning cure. I have a 48 and love it. I have tried some serious hills and had no problem. I love the fact I can pop off if I need to and walk behind it. Like anything you have to put your time in on it and learn it's and your capabillities. I would be patient and I'm sure you will get a hang of it.

svaleko
04-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for your advice I do appreciate it

jequigle
04-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I demoed one before I bought and decided that it wasn't for me. Found that its was a great mower but was going to take more time to adjust to.

svaleko
04-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I might have rushed into buying it. I will give it a shot - if worse comes to worse I will get rid of it and get something different, but definitely demo one before I commit to buy. thanks for your reply

BrunoT
04-05-2012, 03:17 AM
I demo'd a Toro GS 36" last year and had a very short learning curve with the steering. I was doing straight lines within minutes. If you're used to gear drive you definitely will just need to be patient and take it easy on the controls. I've got a lot of years on hydros so I was ready for it.

Many of these have a speed adjustment bar you can set to limit the max speed and make it less jumpy. I recall the Toro had one but I can't remember how it worked.

You will be a lot less tired and much more productive, so on cool season turf I think the stand-on is a lot better than a walk behind.

They should be able to adjust the hydros. Get a manual, I'm sure it shows how to do it via the linkages. Toro probably has them online for downloading.

Grandstand users may know more about which year models had issues and if they're fixable.

Hello everybody
I would appreciate any feedback I could get on it.
I have recently purchased a used Toro Grandstand 36" 2010 with 220 hours on it. I heard these mowers were touchy, but it seems to be really tough to make it go straight. Everything was checked on it as far as the tire pressure, the pumps are fine as well everything seems to be in good shape. It seems to be pulling to the left when going forward and when in reverse the left wheel goes with more power then the right one, it also creeps in neutral when on a slight slope. I tired the dealer's demo model and it seemed to be doing the same thing. I just read the manual and I know that some adjustments could be done and when I mentioned it to the dealer he said that it is pretty much gonna be the same no matter what I do with is as far as adjusting. He told me that it is adjusted to its best and I just have to play more with it and get used to it. . Toro company advertised it as being one of the best and easiest mowers to use - "anybody could use it" - I realize that this is my first hydro mower and I have to get used to it , but I had no idea it would be such a pain in the ... I used bob cats walk behind with kawasaki engine and thought I would upgrade, now I am having second thoughts.... Maybe it was a mistake. There is also a chance that maybe this particular dealer does not know too much about it as that model came out a couple years ago and he said himself they did not sell too many of them and did not do any work on any of them. Does anybody have ( did have) similar issues with Toro grandstand particularly 36" deck - I know that the bigger the deck is the more stable it feels . Thank you for your help

svaleko
04-05-2012, 03:38 AM
thanks a lot
as a matter of fact I had the manual printed out and it explains how to do these adjustments. I will do it this weekend. I just thought that since its my first hydro I would let the professionals take care of this now and then when I start using the mower a lot more I will get into working on it myself. I guess I will start learning all these things sooner. Nobody would take better care of your stuff then yourself. Thanks again. I will give a shot.