PDA

View Full Version : Part time solo ops and leaf removel

We do 4 U
12-13-2002, 11:07 PM
So far this year I ahve collecting all the leaves and taking them to the street for the city to pick up. I would like to know how many of you solo part timers (like me) haul leaves and how you go about doing it. Being only a solo part timer, a deticated truck or trailer for leaves only is not cost efective. I also have a F-150 so a e-z dumper is out until I can get at least a F-250 which is gong to be a while. Thanks in advance.

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-14-2002, 12:04 AM
Hauling away is not an option for me. One of three disposal methods for me. Dump or blow to curb for town to gobble up,mulch with mowers, or blow into woods.

rvsuper
12-14-2002, 12:24 AM
I haul them away. Our city will not pick them up, so I have to take the extra time to haul them away, although I charge an extra $15 to take them away. Some people here say that I can leave them on a pile and they will do it themselves.

bobbygedd
12-14-2002, 01:24 AM
hauling away is no joke around here anymore. dump fees are at an all time high. if i haul, its big $$$$$

McKeeLand
12-14-2002, 01:29 AM
this is exactly what i posted a couple of weeks ago. i asked what u guys thought of offering leaf collection service for smaller LCO who don't have the equipment or for home owners that don't have pickup in their town. so We do 4u, is this something u would consider and ir so what would it be worth to u. just wondering. thanks

Darryl G
12-14-2002, 01:39 AM
I'm a full time solo part timer. Some accounts have on-site dumps or I blow the leaves to the woods. For hauling, I put a leaf box on the front 2/3 of my 6 x 12 trailer. I still have enough room to get my 48 inch WB mower and wheel blower on the rear (barely). I reduce the leaves with the mower and haul them to my property where I compost them. For large one-time jobs, I have another local LCO come and vac them up for me, but this is rare. I handle all of my regulars without his help. I keep mowing and mulching them through October to keep the bulk down.

bobbygedd
12-14-2002, 09:40 AM
how does this "leaf box" work? how do u get the leaves out of the box? rake em?

Darryl G
12-14-2002, 09:49 AM
Bobby - The leaf box works pretty well. I put a tarp on the bottom and then another one for every foot or so of leaves. Then I just pull them out one at a time.

When the box is empty, I haul the equipment up front. The only real problem is the weight distribution with the equipment on the rear when there aren't many leaves up front.

bobbygedd
12-14-2002, 09:59 AM
what i dont get, is y the "box"? it just takes up room on the trailer, and sounds like alot of nothing. we spread a tarp across the trailer, put the leaves on tarp, when we are done, fold tarp, and put something on it to secure the tarp from blowing open(catcher, blowers, etc.) this leaves plenty of room for a mower and equipment. when we get to the dump, simply take equipment off, drag tarp off, and we are done. it just seems like alot of extra wood and taken up space with this leaf box. what bennefit is it?

LLMSERVICE
12-14-2002, 10:20 AM
I either mulch, or bag and leave by the curb or haul to dump or compost site. In the past, I've made arrangements with freinds with a farm to dump by leaves and other compostable material for tilling into their soil. Our city does not have the formal curbsite leave removal...although I see some people piling blowing their leaves into the street figuring the street sweepers will pick it up or it'll blow away.

I'm a part time LCO as well and I just yesterday, invested in a new 83" x 12' trailer for next season. Even though I'm small, having the trailer is a must as its easy to throw your back lifting a Toro commercial 21" off a truck.

For leaves, I plan to mount plywood sides on the trailer next year. I've also in the past used old large plastic drums with an end cut off and handles cut into the sides. 5 or 6 of those on a trailer takes care of most debris I accumulate, then just empty them at a compost site and reuse.

Darryl G
12-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Bobby - The box is 4 feet tall, 6+ feet wide and 8 feet long and holds about 7 cubic yards if my calculations are correct...way more than I could hold in tarps. I can usually work all day without having to dump. I don't see what you mean about it taking up room, I loose 1.5 inches of width and 0.5 inches of length on the trailer. I built it out of lumber I already had and the only cost was for wood screws. I'd do it again...no regrets.