PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a Hustler Trimstar

TennisBum
04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
I like the deck height adjustment and I've read that the steering controls are very nice. Can anyone here comment on the cut quality? I think the deck is just 4 inches deep, so I'm a bit concerned with clogging and how well the clippings disperse. Any input is most appreciated. Thanks guys.

SDLandscapes VT
04-04-2012, 11:05 PM
I have that same deck on an older Hustler mini-Z circa 2003 and I demoed the trimstar last season when we were looking for new walkbehinds.

We had a bobcat 48" hydro and a exmark turf tracer s series for comparison--both the bobcat and a exmark out cut the hustler and the exmark had the best cut of the three. Nice machine, but there have been some issues with the transmission--it is also very large for what it is--we went exmark, but demo the machine and see how it works for you

TriCountyLawn
04-04-2012, 11:17 PM
I have an 04ish hydro walk behind that ive been very happy with. The exmarks cut wasn't good enough to make up for the sucky ESC controls. Check out Toro's if you can also.

jiggz
04-05-2012, 12:16 AM
I cant tell you how they are because the only time I used one was on a country club i worked it..and they cut those areas every 3 days, I used it once.. but was never cutting off enough growth to get a feel for how it cut.. the controls were sorta comefortable. but the thing that i really really didnt like is there was no way to strong arm the machine..Im a verry physical with a w/b I want to pull it.. I want to push down on something to lift the deck/front of the machine up and you cant do that with the machine..Felt like i mine as well be using a zeroturn..t

ps the build was real nice!! It just didnt fit what i use a w/b for

TriCountyLawn
04-05-2012, 12:28 AM
I cant tell you how they are because the only time I used one was on a country club i worked it..and they cut those areas every 3 days, I used it once.. but was never cutting off enough growth to get a feel for how it cut.. the controls were sorta comefortable. but the thing that i really really didnt like is there was no way to strong arm the machine..Im a verry physical with a w/b I want to pull it.. I want to push down on something to lift the deck/front of the machine up and you cant do that with the machine..Felt like i mine as well be using a zeroturn..t

ps the build was real nice!! It just didnt fit what i use a w/b for

Not sure why you would want to muscle around a hydro walkbehind ? FWIW I lift the front tires off the ground alot either to get a jack under it,up on curbs or to make my trailer tilt etc. :weightlifter:

TennisBum
04-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks gents for the feedback.