PDA

View Full Version : Scag blades- high lift?

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Are there any downsides to Scags high lift Marbain blades?
Posted via Mobile Device

Green Machine Mowing
04-05-2012, 03:53 AM
Moving the extra air will pull some power from the engine. What kind of turf will you be on and will you be discharging?

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Mostly fescue and southern weeds, dandelions, clover,etc. do they stripe better?
Posted via Mobile Device

bohiaa
04-09-2012, 12:00 AM
All BLades come from ORGON, there is NO SUCH THING AS A SCAGGS BLADE.......

There all the same

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Really? So are Oregons blades Marbain coated?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Maybe all of Scag's blades come from Oregon, but not ALL blades do. Deere makes their own, and so some other companies.

richardsonlawnnlandscape-
Marbain is not a coating, it is a type of steel.

http://www.scag.com/marbainblades.html

Ridin' Green
04-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Actually, IIRC this is the company that makes Scag's blades. Their Eliminator blade is identical to Scag's mulcher blades, and they use the same materials-

http://www.fisher-barton.com/fisher-barton-blades-inc

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 01:09 AM
So I I want High lift Marbain steel blades what should I get? I need then for my tiger cat 52"
Posted via Mobile Device

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 01:10 AM
If*
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-09-2012, 01:21 AM
If you haven't tried the G6's from Oregon, try them. I doubt you'll ever use anything else again. They are simply amazing blades, and there are guys here everyday who come on and post in one thread or another that they have bought some and are hooked. There are a ton of threads, and/or posts here about the G6 blades, including this one-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=355237&highlight=is+anyone+using+the+new+G6+blades%3F

However, if you are insistant on using Scag blades, here ya go-
http://www.scag.com/bladerecommendation.html

weeze
04-09-2012, 01:26 AM
yeah the high lift blades would bog my engine down in the thick stuff but the g6 blades do not. they cut just as good if not better than high lifts too and the cost is less.

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 02:10 AM
But those are mulching blades right? I don't want mulching. Just something that will stand up sh:t grass and fescue the first time I cut. And a better stripe
Posted via Mobile Device

chip25521
04-09-2012, 02:42 AM
I actually just got a set of the g6 blades for my scag pro v. The scag just didn't make the clippings as small as I wanted with the normal standard lift blades. Part of this was due to spring growth and the grass was longer then it should have been. Instead of just getting the high lift, I decided to try out the g6 blades. From my experience the last two weeks, I think the scag standard lift blades left a better stripe. The cut is virtually the same except for the stripe. When I first got the scag and it had the standard lift blades on it, the stripe was pretty much equal to my z trak with the high lift blades stripe wise. Now that I have the g6 blades on, the stripe has declined. I'm actually thinking about buying the scag high lift blades right now, so I would be interested to hear the results if you do purchase them. I wish a set of john deere blades would fit on the scag. If that would work, I bet they'd do great. I know the center hole is just a hair off though.

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Alright so I guess I should just get high lift blades. Are the ones from Oregon made of Marbain steel? Dang I wish they made a quick connect feature on blade spindles hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Get the Scag blades. Much harder and will last longer.

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 09:01 AM
That's what I thought. So for the third time, are the Oregon look a likes made of Marbain steel or not????
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
04-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Oregon has a Fusion coating on the tips. OEM SCAG blades are NOT Made by Oregon.

Either are great blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 11:10 AM
That's what I thought. So are they just as good? Sounds like the Oregons are lighter
Posted via Mobile Device

TLS
04-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Marbain is the lighter material. You can feel it in your hands It would then depend on width and thickness with regard to weight.

Marbain is a lighter and harder grade of steel. Oregon would be softer, but the Fusion tips really do work.
Posted via Mobile Device

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 12:00 PM
So, I live in middle Tennessee and am mowing fescue, k31, the occasional Zoysia and Bermuda yard and all of then mixed with sh:t grass and weeds. I mow every 10 days so nothing really gets thick. I cut off about 1.5-2.5 inches of grass each mow and I want the cleanest cut and best stripe.Should I still go with the Scag high lift Marbain's? I'll be putting them on a Scag Tiger Cat 52" cut 24hp Kaw engine with a K&N air filter on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
The difference in hardness between the two blades is minimal, but the "Fusion" treatment is actually carbide that is infused into the bottom side of the G6's cutting edge, and it holds its edge as long, or longer than anything out there right now.

Yes, the G6 is a mulching blade, but not a tradional mulching blade like those used with a mulch kit. They are for side discharging, and bagging only. It is a high lift blade designed to mulch the clippings much smaller before they get blown out onto the surface of the lawn, and they do that extremely well. The pieces left behind are much smaller than what is left behind with anyone's high lift OEM factory blades- Deere and Scag included. They stripe just fine for the multitude of guys here using them, and better than many guys previous blades did.

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 01:13 PM
G6s it is. Hope they're worth it
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-09-2012, 01:31 PM
G6s it is. Hope they're worth it
Posted via Mobile Device

The oregon rep here (Oregon OEP) just posted this AM in the G6 thread that if you buy a set and are not completely satisfied with them, take them back to your dealer and get a full refund, and if you buy them online and have trouble getting your refund, PM him here, and he'll help you out. I doubt you'll want to take them back, but you won't get that kind of offer from Scag or anyone else that I know of.

richardsonlawnnlandscape
04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Damn. That's a selling point right there
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
04-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Damn. That's a selling point right there
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd get the Scag blades. The G6 blades are nice but they are a mulching blade. Go with the Scag blades and you'll get the best cut and stripe.

Snapper Jack
04-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I'd get the Scag blades. The G6 blades are nice but they are a mulching blade. Go with the Scag blades and you'll get the best cut and stripe.
I use Oregon Scag blades on my old Snapper Pro and use G6s and to be honest with you, the G6s cut just as good or better than any Scag hi lift blade,( less air drag occurring from the wing angle,I use less fuel with the G6s and due to being slightly heavier in mass,more inertia energy is stored in the blade tips thus reducing engine bogging down when cutting over grown grass) The G6s do hold an advantage over a regular blade IMO

Snapper Jack
04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
The difference in hardness between the two blades is minimal, but the "Fusion" treatment is actually carbide that is infused into the bottom side of the G6's cutting edge, and it holds its edge as long, or longer than anything out there right now.

Yes, the G6 is a mulching blade, but not a tradional mulching blade like those used with a mulch kit. They are for side discharging, and bagging only. It is a high lift blade designed to mulch the clippings much smaller before they get blown out onto the surface of the lawn, and they do that extremely well. The pieces left behind are much smaller than what is left behind with anyone's high lift OEM factory blades- Deere and Scag included. They stripe just fine for the multitude of guys here using them, and better than many guys previous blades did.
Having modified my fusion G6s and a set of Scag super hi lifts with a grinder, I believe the steel hardness between the two to be more than minimal. The G6s may be receiving a different heat treatment process:confused:

gene gls
04-09-2012, 09:21 PM
All BLades come from ORGON, there is NO SUCH THING AS A SCAGGS BLADE.......

There all the same

Every blade manufacture put out a slightly different blade. There is a big differance between some blades of the same size.

Ridin' Green
04-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Having modified my fusion G6s and a set of Scag super hi lifts with a grinder, I believe the steel hardness between the two to be more than minimal. The G6s may be receiving a different heat treatment process:confused:

I don't know exactly what Oregon's hardening process is, and I am betting they keep that under wraps anyway, but what I meant was the cutting edges on both blades are very similar in hardness/durability. In fact, since the G6 has carbide infused along the edge, it may be even harder than the Marbain Scag blades edge is.

Valk
04-10-2012, 12:47 AM
The G6 blades are nice but they are a mulching blade.
G6 blades are intended for side-discharging (or bagging). They create too much lift to mulch well.

Ridin' Green
04-10-2012, 12:57 AM
G6 blades are intended for side-discharging (or bagging). They create too much lift to mulch well.

The G6's are a mulching blade. A mulching blade meant for side discharging or bagging only as you stated, but they are designed to mulch the clippings while doing so, and they do that great.:)

Valk
04-10-2012, 01:05 AM
I'd say these G6's shred the clippings extra fine.

Mulching to me means no discharging...but obviously my mileage varies! :laugh:

Ridin' Green
04-10-2012, 01:17 AM
I agree. I always thought of mulching blades as the wavy type for use with a baffled system. These blades definately don't work well that way though. But used as "directed", they are the best thing since (your favorite line goes here).:)

Valk
04-10-2012, 01:20 AM
But used as "directed", they are the best thing since LAWNSITE!!

Ridin' Green
04-10-2012, 01:21 AM
But used as "directed", they are the best thing since LAWNSITE!!

Well, sure! How else would you have known about them?:laugh:

kawakx125
05-22-2012, 11:09 PM
does anyone have a part# for some 18'' scag high lifts? i don't trust my local dealer very much. i've got the g6's right now but i'd like to try some of the high lifts just for giggles to see if there is much difference at all with my mower.

ed2hess
05-22-2012, 11:27 PM
That's what I thought. So for the third time, are the Oregon look a likes made of Marbain steel or not????
Posted via Mobile Device

The only downside to buying the scag blades are if you bend one it hurts due to cost. So even though I like the blades better and they do a great job I switched to cheaper blades. Even since I starting running the cheap blades I haven't bent one:dizzy: