PDA

View Full Version : Rip rap rock

wkbrafford
04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
75 yards of rip rap rock needs to be taken out a ditch and smoothed out how would I go about bidding for job have bobcat and may have to remove stone by hand out of the ditch. Ma and one other amigo
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
04-05-2012, 12:01 PM
75 yards of stone... in a ditch... possibly done by hand,,, isn't a job... it's a construction project, much like road building through a mountain pass...

I would calculate how's the best way to do 10 linear feet and multiply it by the total linear feet and add 50%, amybe double if it's all done by hand...

grandview (2006)
04-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Find someone with a backhoe ,you'll be glad.

Tizzy
04-05-2012, 09:50 PM
how big is this ditch??? width depth length.
is it being removed from the ditch and hauled off site???
or is it being left on site or reinstalled???

would suggest excavator.

tailboardtech
04-07-2012, 10:54 AM
There's a reason that rip rap in is the ditch it's there to prevent erosion if your removing it and not replacing it your going to be having big problems with wash outs. And that's if you don't get cought by your local dep officers
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
There's a reason that rip rap in is the ditch it's there to prevent erosion if your removing it and not replacing it your going to be having big problems with wash outs. And that's if you don't get cought by your local dep officers
Posted via Mobile Device

and being a sensitive area, it's fun to hear the talk about skidsters and other heavy machines... :)

LindblomRJ
04-07-2012, 07:57 PM
75 yards by hand? No replacement? WTF, over. It sounds like an expensive train wreck. Riprap is for erosion control. The question that needs to be first asked is "why?"

Get Some...
04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
250,000 pounds of stone removed by hand would be kinda expensive........

Is this a joke?

wkbrafford
04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I mean a 75 yard ditch about 4 foot wide. Not 75 yards. Sorry for that. Rock taken out topsoil down and sod just finished the job
Posted via Mobile Device

Brown & Co.
04-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Ok Im scared... Ive never used it...but everyone is saying that its for erosion control...its a ditch...which contains water from time to time which causes erosion...My common sense is saying that that sod and soil if not properly install and rolled...and pinned on slopes...gonna wash right away.

Pictures worth a thousand words. What size rock... I would think it could be cleared out for under $1k.

BlazerRidge
04-12-2012, 11:31 AM
What erosion control practices are you going to employ once the rip rap is taken out of the ditch?

jrs.landscaping
04-14-2012, 08:43 PM
What erosion control practices are you going to employ once the rip rap is taken out of the ditch?

This is the real question. A plan to control erosion during and after your project should be the first item on your list. This will also be a factor in your your end price. Can you use hay or rock as a buffer to slow water in heavy rain? Do you need a silt fence? Does this lead to an inland stream or even worse a lake or pond? There are WAY more factors than ripping out some rock and throwing down loam/sod.

AzLawnMan
04-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Ok Im scared... Ive never used it...but everyone is saying that its for erosion control...its a ditch...which contains water from time to time which causes erosion...My common sense is saying that that sod and soil if not properly install and rolled...and pinned on slopes...gonna wash right away.

Pictures worth a thousand words. What size rock... I would think it could be cleared out for under $1k.

Holly crap!!!!! Under $1k to do that job!! How are you in business!!! Do your homework or get some experience. :hammerhead: