PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer burned centipede - help!

higherground
04-06-2012, 08:40 AM
hey all - Ive got a few customers who went hogwild with lime and/or nitrogen on their centipede grass. very dark green with nice VW sized brown spots (already)... and now I'm stuck fixing it. very sandy soil / hot SC summers.

(on the advice from the local Nursery) last year about this time I let the acid die down and tried 1/4" Erth Food top dressing hoping the centipede runners from the nearby grass would like it and run though it filling in the brown spots... that didn't work... (got some great weeds though). I'm not going down that path again.

sprigs? plugs? reseed? resod? -
what is the proven fast easy way to fix this type of problem.

Thanks in advance.

Lawn132012
04-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Not sure how fast you will fix that problem.

You need to start looking into something else. The fertilizer burn is why I am probably going to use the SumaGreen Turf full time especially with all of the benefits not to mention the price benefit. The early results I am seeing is very promising not to mention the people I have talked to about it.

Smallaxe
04-06-2012, 06:02 PM
You got dark green grass, with a brown areas?... Like a giant Dog Spot???...

So was this a Nitrogen Burn, much the same way that Urine generates, toxic levels of Urea(N)??... Or was it the fertilizer itself? ... (You said something about, "acid die down")

higherground
04-07-2012, 08:19 AM
You got dark green grass, with a brown areas?... Like a giant Dog Spot???...

So was this a Nitrogen Burn, much the same way that Urine generates, toxic levels of Urea(N)??... Or was it the fertilizer itself? ... (You said something about, "acid die down")

yes - like giant dog spots where nothing grows and everything dies. I'm not sure what the owners did but I suspect too much nitrogen.

Smallaxe
04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Sugar/molasses are supposed to help digest the excess N, then all I do is reseed KBG from there... Good Luck with the Centipede...

Duekster
04-07-2012, 12:58 PM
If the top dressing was fully composted, you should not get weed seeds in it.

The Sugar is just adding carbon so the microbes can work.

You might try something called Bio PaK or even Bio Pak Plus.

Lawn132012
04-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Sounds good I think I am going to lookk into it and see what I can do with it on some spots that I have seen