PDA

View Full Version : Being license

Lawnstar
08-10-2000, 11:39 PM
Can someone tell me if it is necessary and or required to be licensed to cut grass? Are there any advantages/ disadvantages to being licensed? I have been insured for many years but not licensed.

I have just recently moved, and plan on having new business cards printed up. Instead of just having "insured" on my cards I thought I would have "licensed and insured" printed on the cards if I decide to become licensed.

How would I go about becoming licensed? Whom would I contact? County Registers Office?

Thanks,
Lawnstar

KirbysLawn
08-11-2000, 12:13 AM
Don't know of anywhere that has a license to mow. If you take a pesticides class and get you license then that would apply. Most local ag. agencies can help you with that. There are several universities that offers classes to become "certified" here is one: http://www.gactr.uga.edu/is/turf/whatisturf.html , hope that helps.

yardsmith
08-11-2000, 12:21 AM
I think it depends on where you live.
Here in Ohio you have to have a Service vendors license to operate in the state of Ohio.
It's only $25 to get one, & $10 to renew each year. Small price to pay to keep feds off your back, or anyone else for that matter.

BRL
08-11-2000, 10:18 AM
Every state, county & city government has their own rules for operating businesses in their jurisdiction. You'll have to check on your's.

Lanelle
08-11-2000, 12:15 PM
In our area, two types of licenses can be important. The first is a business license for the local jurisdiction. The second is a state contractors license, for landscaping. (Yes, pesticide applicators' license is imperative if you are going to do that.) Every place is different. Talk to your dealer to get an informal idea of what others are doing.

Guido
08-11-2000, 12:23 PM
Lawnstar, I think your referring to a state contractors license. I don't believe you'll need one for lawn care, but I think your supposed to have one for any type of landscape work you do. Contact your local small business association and they should be able to answer questions specific to your area better. Hope this helps!!