PDA

View Full Version : Spring Clean-Ups

zechstoker
04-07-2012, 12:28 AM
I imagine many of you are getting slammed with the clean-up jobs this time of year, as to be expected. Luckily, we've only had one so far, and it was a complete disaster upon arrival. How's the clean-ups going with the rest of you guys? Also, how do you price them in comparison to routine maintenance jobs? We've had a pricing system of our own set up for clean-up work, but I get the feeling something's still not right with it.

weeze
04-07-2012, 12:31 AM
i don't really know what spring cleanup is. to me it's just the first mowing of the season which generally takes a little longer than the other mowings the rest of the year. i don't charge more for it i just charge the usual rate. i don't do shrub trimming and such in the spring either or mulch. i do them rarely. most of the time i do that work during the fall. also i mow/mulch the leaves in the fall too so there aren't leftover leaves in the spring time in the yard or there's very little left over. i guess everyone does things differently though.

zechstoker
04-07-2012, 12:48 AM
i don't really know what spring cleanup is. to me it's just the first mowing of the season which generally takes a little longer than the other mowings the rest of the year. i don't charge more for it i just charge the usual rate. i don't do shrub trimming and such in the spring either or mulch. i do them rarely. most of the time i do that work during the fall. also i mow/mulch the leaves in the fall too so there aren't leftover leaves in the spring time in the yard or there's very little left over. i guess everyone does things differently though.

Ah, yeah... It probably varies by region. Typically for us here in Cali., our customers remain being serviced year-around, but there always ends up being at least a couple customers who discontinue service during the winter months. Only had one do that this year though.

This clean-up job we had today though (not the one who stopped for winter) hadn't been touched since probably the beginning of Autumn. All the leafs that came down were still in the lawn and tangled up in all the bushes. Nothing but good times... Ended up being a 4 hour job for 2 guys. By the end of it, it felt like someone slammed a car door on my arm repeatedly.

willshome
04-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Spring Cleanup
• Cleaning debris from lawn, walkways, & garden.
• Dethatching lawn
• Mowing and line trimming lawn
• Removal of debris from property
Mulch Re-edge all mulch beds
Different lawns take different amount of time. If they did not do fall cleanup this will be a pain to do so charge keeping that in mind

zechstoker
04-07-2012, 04:48 PM
The majority of clean-up work we end up doing, not necessarily for Spring all the time, consists of a lot of bush pruning, debris removal from beds and hardscapes, edging the lawn (normally it's really out of shape), and mowing the lawn twice (once to knock it down, and again to clean it up). Just seems like we get more of this type of work this time of year than any other time, so that's why I refer to it as "Spring clean-up.
Posted via Mobile Device

zechstoker
04-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh yeah, and can't forget the abundance of weed control, depending on what point in the season it is.

TaskForceLawnCare
04-07-2012, 09:10 PM
We've started our season with a hale storm tearing through the area i service. So, I've been fortunate in the sense that i'm getting a lot of spring/storm clean up. That I can price as high as I want to an extent. Now the bad side of that is that I typically have to deal with an insurance agent to get paid. Normally, I would price the spring clean up according to the size of job and do my best to guess at how many hours it will take. I figure $80 an hour, by the time I pay myself, employee, insurance, fuel, and equipment. thats a far price.

BOSS LAWN 2343
04-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Spring Cleanup
• Cleaning debris from lawn, walkways, & garden.
• Dethatching lawn
• Mowing and line trimming lawn
• Removal of debris from property
Mulch Re-edge all mulch beds
Different lawns take different amount of time. If they did not do fall cleanup this will be a pain to do so charge keeping that in mind

About the same that I do, done about 12-13 so far. Most of them were not done in the fall so everything was wet.

willshome
04-07-2012, 11:21 PM
I figure $80 an hour, by the time I pay myself, employee, insurance, fuel, and equipment. thats a far price.

is $80 per man hour or for both of you?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
all my spring cleanup was done in march and grass growing like crazy here

TaskForceLawnCare
04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
is $80 per man hour or for both of you?
thats per man hour, obviously my employee doesn't make that much but he still using my equipment, fuel ect... typically it doesn't take to long for us to clean everything up, as long as, everything goes well. I run it like i run like i would an Army Platoon, easy to get along with but no messing around. we can rest when we are, going between jobs.