PDA

View Full Version : can i start trees then transplant later?

grass disaster
04-07-2012, 08:12 AM
ok so i ordered some trees from the county but i'm not sure where i want to put them yet.

can i start them in a nursery setting? and still be able to move them by hand in 2-5 years?

i thought about buying some black mat then roll it out and leave about 3 feet in between so i could get a tiller through there to keep the soil loose.

then plant the trees in the black mat. not sure what the spacing of them should be?????

trees are about 18" tall they tell me

50 black hills spruce
25 lindens
25 maple
25 dogwood bushes
25 river birch

or do i burlap the root ball somehow?

easy-lift guy
04-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Are you trying to create a tree nursery for resale or for your own use?.
easy-lift guy

grass disaster
04-07-2012, 09:29 AM
for my own land.

i have 40 acres and plan to build a house there some day.

also have a landscape project going on presently.

easy-lift guy
04-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Place the seedlings in 1 gal pots set up drip irrigation system, fert. during growing season use when ready.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
04-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Be sure that as you move them to larger pots that you do not put too much soil on them. Container trees often have 2" or more soil built up too high. Also as you step them up to larger containers, check the roots for circling. The roots will grow in a ball and the tree will often die many years down the road as the roots girdle each other and choke the tree.

easy-lift guy
04-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Ditto on the pots.

Just use good one gallon pots to start them out. Then in a year or two, step up to some larger 5+ gallon pots.

Then at that point, you can just heal in the pots in a berm of compost, mulch or soil. Then remove them as needed.

I'd think with the potting, heal method you can get 10 years of wait time before you need to get them in the ground.

easy-lift guy
04-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes of course you will have to move up the pots over time, I would find them a permanent home by the time they get to a Ten gal container. You will have your work cut out for you. I would make this project a family affair to help reduce the chance of loss. It is more fun raising the trees that way as well.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device

grass disaster
04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Not sure I'm digging all that work and added expense with all them pots.

I do have access to a bobcat. Couldn't I transplant them with that in 5 year. I'm guessing my spacing would have to be increased.

Some of the trees I may be moving in their permanant spot in 2 months or by this fall.

Some may get moved by the 3 year mark. But none further out than that I don't think.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Not sure I'm digging all that work and added expense with all them pots.

I do have access to a bobcat. Couldn't I transplant them with that in 5 year. I'm guessing my spacing would have to be increased.

Some of the trees I may be moving in their permanant spot in 2 months or by this fall.

Some may get moved by the 3 year mark. But none further out than that I don't think.
Posted via Mobile Device

You would still need to rent at a minimum a skid steer and a small tree spade for the skid.

So it's a matter of what is more effective in your situation.