PDA

View Full Version : Removing Creeping Juniper!

vtkish7
04-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Hey guys,

So I've got a man who I do regular maintenance for who needs his beds basically revamped...that's not a problem and I'll be installing mulch, new annuals, etc when all is said and done. However, he has one square bed about 5'x6' that is just coated with pretty well established Creeping Juniper. It's really not an attractive species and seems to grab every leaf within a mile radius :cry:!

Now, I don't have any experience with removing this kind of Juniper ground cover but I've heard it can be a pain...what is the best way you guys would go about removing it? Thanks and I'll post pictures when it's all done! :drinkup:

Get Some...
04-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Mattock...

vtkish7
04-07-2012, 10:56 AM
That's definitely what I was thinking, maul it into about 4 pieces then rope em up and go about it that way

White Gardens
04-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Mattock...

Ditto.

Not a hard tear out by any means. 9 times out of ten, you just need to find the main stems coming from the ground and cut them. Then the rest of the creeping juniper should generally pull right out.

If your concerned with the stem growing back (which I don't think it will), then just use some round-up concentrate on the freshly cut stump to kill it off.

Smallaxe
04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
... It's really not an attractive species and seems to grab every leaf within a mile radius :cry:! ...

This comment even made me do an image search, incase the was some kind of viney ground cover that was also called, creeping juniper...

What do you mean that it seems to grab every leaf within a mile radius?

vtkish7
04-07-2012, 12:59 PM
This comment even made me do an image search, incase the was some kind of viney ground cover that was also called, creeping juniper...

What do you mean that it seems to grab every leaf within a mile radius?

I'll be sure to snap a picture next time I'm there mowing and such but I routinely have to take a wire rake as his neighbor's (who hardly pay attention to their property :nono:) leaves from last fall continuously get caught up on this cover as they blow around. I can usually mulch the stranglers that land on the lawn but this juniper proves a special PITA

vtkish7
04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Ditto.

Not a hard tear out by any means. 9 times out of ten, you just need to find the main stems coming from the ground and cut them. Then the rest of the creeping juniper should generally pull right out.

If your concerned with the stem growing back (which I don't think it will), then just use some round-up concentrate on the freshly cut stump to kill it off.

Thanks man, this subdivision has only been constructed for ~4-5 years now so hopefully the offshoots as it "creeps" won't have established themselves very well either!:waving:

Smallaxe
04-07-2012, 04:27 PM
I'll be sure to snap a picture next time I'm there mowing and such but I routinely have to take a wire rake as his neighbor's (who hardly pay attention to their property :nono:) leaves from last fall continuously get caught up on this cover as they blow around. I can usually mulch the stranglers that land on the lawn but this juniper proves a special PITA

OK, I understand now... the one thing I hated about them was the grass growing in them... I agree, they catch garbage, protect weed growth and look ugly... :)

White Gardens
04-07-2012, 05:29 PM
OK, I understand now... the one thing I hated about them was the grass growing in them... I agree, they catch garbage, protect weed growth and look ugly... :)

I have one client with the same issue. It's taken about three seasons to..

A.) to 90% eliminate the miniature, twisted sister morning glories in one bush alone.

B.) Eliminate the grass growing in the creeping juniper by way of wicking RU on the grass blades to kill it off.

These are either blue rug or blue chip junipers. I personally like them, but yes they are a bear to keep clean.