PDA

View Full Version : Is my bermuda coming back in right ?

JERELG
04-07-2012, 08:49 PM
I seeded my yard in bermuda last spring and had great results. Now that it's getting warm again my bermuda is coming back in patches and some areas are better than others or nothing at all and this week I had a lot of weeds pop up. I know it is little early in the season. I just want to know what should I do to get the yard greened up all around.

agrostis
04-08-2012, 08:42 PM
What kind of bermuda did you seed ? Is there full sun everywhere ? Do you have irrigation ? Could be lot's of thing's. Could be as simple as needing more seed. Please post more detail's and picture's if possible.

JERELG
04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I used Sun Spot Bermuda from John Deere landscapes , my yard and house faces east and gets full sun and it's a full acre. I'll try to post pics soon. I do not have a good way to water daily.

Pro-turf lawn
04-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Sorry for the questions. What size of bag did it come in? Cost? What rate did you seed on thanks for the help.. I'm sure you may want to mow a little higher at first

Duekster
04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Bermuda greens up at different rates depending on type but most needs 65 degree soil temps which means greater than 80 days and 50 nights and it loves full sun.
They need more than 6 hours but like all day full sun.

It loves nitrogen. Feed it about 4 Pounds of N broken up into 4 to 8 feedings and mow it often and low. Have you done a soil test?

JERELG
04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info. The temperature is not up to where it needs to be. I plan to put out some fertilizer at the end of the month. As for the weeds I'll just keep them mowed down until the Bermuda comes in full.

JERELG
04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Sorry for the questions. What size of bag did it come in? Cost? What rate did you seed on thanks for the help.. I'm sure you may want to mow a little higher at first

This Bermuda seed came in 5 gallon buckets, it cost around $150.00 a bucket and I put out 4 buckets per acre.

Duekster
04-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the info. The temperature is not up to where it needs to be. I plan to put out some fertilizer at the end of the month. As for the weeds I'll just keep them mowed down until the Bermuda comes in full.

Be very careful about treating weeds. I know you started this grass last season but weed killers do weaken grasses.

I strongly suggest you contact your local ag about a soil sample to get an idea about fertilizers and amendments. Sort of that try to find a 3-1-2 ratio fertilizer. I would not hit it yet. Maybe a week or two sounds right.

JERELG
04-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Be very careful about treating weeds. I know you started this grass last season but weed killers do weaken grasses.

I strongly suggest you contact your local ag about a soil sample to get an idea about fertilizers and amendments. Sort of that try to find a 3-1-2 ratio fertilizer. I would not hit it yet. Maybe a week or two sounds right.

Thanks, I did a soil sample last year and maybe I should go ahead and do another sample.

Duekster
04-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I did a soil sample last year and maybe I should go ahead and do another sample.

Typically every few years is ok but if you did add lime or other amendments then yes you should run another one to make sure you applied the right amounts.

agrostis
04-17-2012, 07:06 PM
So you put out 1/2 Lb. of seed per 1000 sq. ft. 1 acre = 43,560 sq. ft. Bermuda should be seeded at 2 Lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. That's your problem right there.

JERELG
05-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry it took so long but here is some pics of my bad bermuda.247632

Duekster
05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Kind of hard to tell weeds from grass in the photos. The first photo needs a close up as it looks like dirt only.

JERELG
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
The green patches is Bermuda and the spots are weeds. There is some small spots of Bermuda coming up. I went to Johndeere landscapes Friday and I took them my iPad and showed them my pics. They told me to wait another two weeks before hitting it with Nitro and I may need to overseed This growing season. I plan to put in an watering system this fall. I hope the weeds get chocked out like they did last year. I had the best lawn last summer than I have had in 8 years since I moved here.
I hope for a repeat.

JERELG
05-19-2012, 09:18 PM
I went and got a soil sample kit from Lowes and the PH level came in at a 5. I also sent a soil sample to the state to compare. My question is I'm getting a lot of weeds can I spray some 2-4-D to control them or wait until late July or Aug. and see how the Bermuda is running.

Duekster
05-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I went and got a soil sample kit from Lowes and the PH level came in at a 5. I also sent a soil sample to the state to compare. My question is I'm getting a lot of weeds can I spray some 2-4-D to control them or wait until late July or Aug. and see how the Bermuda is running.

You can spray weed killer not preventer. Look for something indicating safe for bermuda.

What else did it say? Add more lime? Aerate. :rolleyes:

Patriot Services
05-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Wait for the state results. The test kits from the big box store are worthless. The Ag office that does the test will also tell you how to correct the deficiences. At the least I think you will be doing some spot seeding.
Posted via Mobile Device

JERELG
05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
I got my soil sample back from the state and my PH is a 4.5 . So Should I go with some fast acting lime for this season to get the Bermuda going and what can I do about the weeds that have came up. I been kind of scared about spraying weed control like 2,4-d on new Bermuda. Thanks for any advice.

Patriot Services
05-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Its no big deal to spot spray. It will fill in pretty quick. You can always us round up spot and seed same the same day. I wouldn't blanket spray yound Bermuda but spot apps you'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
I say it looks pretty good for seed...I wouldn't expect a full green carpet in one season. I would suggest to get more seed and go ahead and oversees the bare areas. If you can't irrigate seed what you can handle with hose and sprinkler.

As far as irrigation, I'd either bite the bullet and do it now or with until next June. You don't want mud trenches all winter with strips of winter weeds.

I would also be cautious using any herbicides now. I might suggest leaving weeds until grass has thickened and is all the way out of dormancy and growing vigorously. Spot spray the bad areas as the poster before me said...just be careful with rate...maybe even cut the rate to .75 oz per k of three way. Celcius is also pretty safe at low rates.
Posted via Mobile Device

JERELG
05-31-2012, 10:24 PM
I think I'll mix some 2,4-d in my sprayer and spot spray an area at a time for weeds and start trying to get my soil right with the PH levels and put out nitro to get my Bermuda also. I wish could do irrigation just can't afford it right now. I thinking about make some sprinkler stands and timers to water the lawn. I will just have to moved them around in the late afternoons before the the next morning watering.

JERELG
06-08-2012, 10:34 PM
I went to John Deere landscapes today and took them my soil sample and they got me some Cal-Turf Pro for the PH level and They told me not to add fertilizer for 3 weeks after. Since when I have fertilized the last time the yard I got little to not response from the Bermuda. The Bermuda is spreading some and I hope to get my soil straight so the grass will fill in.

Duekster
06-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Sounds like a plan. Also keep in mind Bermuda thrives best in full sun and 95 to 100 degrees. If you do not have 6 hours of full sun, it will not do as well.

I see some big trees in the pictures and hard to tell what kind of sun it is getting as it looks overcast.

JERELG
06-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a plan. Also keep in mind Bermuda thrives best in full sun and 95 to 100 degrees. If you do not have 6 hours of full sun, it will not do as well.

I see some big trees in the pictures and hard to tell what kind of sun it is getting as it looks overcast.

Yes it was overcast that day. This yard gets very little shade from the trees about 8-10 hours of sun. some of the back yard is against the woods and it is shaded but it is okay for now. That is a later plan for that less than a 1/16 of an acre.

Duekster
06-09-2012, 07:05 PM
More sun is more better for Bermuda. 6 hours of full sun is considered a minimum. Bermuda takes off when the temps are 95 to 100.

Patriot Services
06-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Or you get 8" of rain in the last 5 days. Mine almost got away from me. I could almost watch it grow.:usflag:

cgaengineer
06-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Or you get 8" of rain in the last 5 days. Mine almost got away from me. I could almost watch it grow.:usflag:

It will easily outgrow a reel mower in 3 days!
Posted via Mobile Device

JERELG
06-09-2012, 08:54 PM

It's calling for rain mon,tues,and wed this week. I'm going to put out the Cal Turf pro lime out tomorrow when I Get off work.