PDA

View Full Version : Totalled Truck In Accident

Runner
12-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Well, it happened. Early last evening, I was involved in an accident, and my truck was totalled. As I signalled and began shifting lanes to the inside lane to prepare for a left hand turn, the guy that was behind me (quite a ways and in the right lane) must have been traveling at a pretty good clip. He began to come around me, I guess, because all I know is that I was hit from behind and spun around to face the other direction. Other than a goose egg on my head behind my left ear and a really sore neck, I think I'm o.k.. My truck, however, is a mess. The back is crushed in, the rear quarter is all bashed where he spun me around, the frame is all twisted up and has a broken spring shackle, and the bed is driven up against the cab. I LOVED that truck! A '97 GMC Sierra, 4X4 extended cab shortbox - loaded. 1 owner, and very well taken care of.:(

mdb landscaping
12-14-2002, 07:23 PM
That stinks man. Sorry to hear about that. At least you are ok. I always worry about being hit by somebody else. For the most part you can control your driving style, but cant expect what other drivers will do.

KirbysLawn
12-14-2002, 07:36 PM
That stinks, very glad to hear you are ok. Let us know what you get next.

rkbrown
12-14-2002, 08:00 PM
Wow, Runner, sorry about the accident. Glad you are alright !!!

Lawn Dog2001
12-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear that Runner. At least it happened now when you didnt have a trailer full of equipment behind you. I hope his insurance takes care of you.

1MajorTom
12-14-2002, 08:55 PM
Wow, I was very sorry to read this. No matter how careful you are, you never know how the other guy is going to be driving. That sucks. With a good company name like Ground Control, you deserve to have things work out the best they can. ;)
Please keep us updated.

stick9
12-14-2002, 09:34 PM
Man! That sucks about the truck, but thank God you're fine! Whew! Trucks can be replaced.

What happened to the other driver? What kind of vehicle was he/she driving? Was it nighttime? Slippery?

Stick-NIne

Lanelle
12-14-2002, 09:57 PM
Runner,
Sorry about your accident. Take it easy and hope you find a great new truck.

JohnyNCa
12-14-2002, 10:24 PM
Hi Runner
Sorry to hear about your accident. My work trucked was hit a week ago as it was parked, some minor dent damage and flat tire and such but her blazer was totaled! She was trying to avoid a cat as she says...:dizzy: anyway cops came by and took down all her insurance info and later i found out she cancelled her insurance back in june! Man i cant believe these irresponsible drivers w/o insurance....so i feel for you. My insurance will take care of it but just the hassle of it all ticks me off...anyway life goes on and trucks are replaceable were not...good to hear no one was seriosuly injured...take care

wojo23323
12-14-2002, 10:24 PM
Glad you're OK. You must have been wearing your seat belt.

Ken's Lawn Service
12-14-2002, 11:16 PM
I know that your truck is gone but you are going to be OK, that's what matters. Take care.

stslawncare
12-14-2002, 11:30 PM
sorry to hear about your luck, however in reality u are lucky, when riding the fire trucks u see what some accidents result in.

Darryl G
12-15-2002, 03:40 AM
Runner - Sorry to hear about the truck, but glad you are O.K. I don't want to sound like one of those personal injury attorneys, but if your neck is sore from a rear end collision, you probably have whiplash. The bad news is that it will probably feel worse before it gets better. If you haven't already seen a doctor, I would recommend it. Wearing one of those collars will help.

Tony Harrell
12-15-2002, 06:12 AM
Whiplash is a real injury. I had it from a motorcycle racing accident and didn't realize it at the time. Now, it causes me lots of problems from time to time. The calcium buildup between the vertebra causes me to pinch a nerve occasionally. Take my advice and get it checked out with a chiropractor. There are excercises that can help and you may need to take some meds to keep the calcium from building up before it's better.

excel25
12-15-2002, 06:23 AM
Sorry to hear about that, but now you can get a new truck for Xmas, glad you weren't hurt bad.

GarPA
12-15-2002, 06:45 AM
Glad you seem to be ok...be very careful you dont settle to quickly on the total cost of replacing your truck. The other insurance company may try to give you a value for your truck which will more than likely not make you happy. I would also contact YOUR insurance agent and ask him the best way to handle this to get maximum value for your "cherry" truck. And dont sign off too quicky that your neck is ok.
2 months ago my wife was rear ended in a very similar accident to yours...brand new Camry smashed to crap...minor neck injuries ...we used our insurance carrier to subrogate against the other carrier and it worked out well....also, keep in mind it sounds like you the other driver is clearly 100% at fault... and if that is the case, you hold the cards.....dont fold them until you believe you are getting that which you are fairly entitled to. I am in no way a supporter of ripping off an insurance company...but, the purpose of insurance is to return you to the physical and monetarry condition you were in PRIOR to the accident.
Good luck...if you'd like any insurance advice email me privately ...good luck

Mr_Marc
12-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Runner glad you are ok.
I have never been sued or sued anyone myself but in this case the person that hit you has to be taught a lesson. I would say that 99% of the people on lawnsite pay for business personal and auto insurance through the nose. The fact that the person that hit you cancelled their policy prior to the accident is a blatant violation of the law. This is the reason we all pay high insurance costs. I hope that the proper authorities will prosecute
this person for a violation of the law that affects all of us. I would also consider a suit against this person. Look he/she caused you inconvenient and not to mention a truck you liked very much & the possibility of a neck injury that might not show up for years to come. Iím pretty sure that if your insurance pays for your truck they will raise your rates and through no fault of your own. I donít know if you have a backup truck for work or if you guys are still working in your neck of the wood this time of year. But what would have happened if this occurred in the height of the season. Time is money.

Sorry for the long post but this is an issue that affects all of us law abiding, insurance paying and hard working citizens.

Darryl G
12-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Mr_ Marc - I can't find anywhere in Runner's post where it says the other driver cancelled his policy.

jeffyr
12-15-2002, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear about that Runner.
I had an accident a few weeks ago in my Dodge 1500. Someone in oncoming traffic turned left directly in front of me into a parking lot. I creamed him doing about 25mph and sent his car flying, and almost hit him again before stopping (rainy and leaves on the ground). It was written up as the other guys fault. My grill guard took the brunt of itleaving me with 1 broken turn signal and grill, and new bumper and brackets. The other car was totalled, which is a scary thing to see from the drivers seat. The miracle was that he was turning into his church parking lot at 10am on a Sunday--we both wound up in the parking lot 15 feet from the building and nobody walking into church was hurt. There was somethin goin on. :angel:

jeffyr

Mr_Marc
12-15-2002, 10:05 PM
darryl gesner

Sorry I read all the posts to fast. My fault!

The fact remains that this is ONE of the many reasons we pay such a high premium.

Again my apologies

Markus
12-16-2002, 12:35 AM
Runner sorry to hear about your accident, just be greatful that nobody was hurt, Ive had one of my trailers ran into twice,both hit and run......Marks Mowing Service

Cutter1
12-16-2002, 01:05 AM
glad to hear your ok. Could be worse, you could of been rear ended like I was last week. She plows into me doing about 40mph. TOTALS my 3 week old air-flo salt spreader. Does 1500 damage to my truck also and it gets better........................she has no insurance on her car!!! It was her daughter driving too, how can you let your daughter drive your car without insurance??!?!?! And she hurt my neck.

Albemarle Lawn
12-16-2002, 11:33 AM
Sorry to hear about your wreck.

Is the cab hit?

Sounds like a frame and bed + rear bumper will fix it.

Since it is a 97 you could use and frame from 88-98 if it is the same length (all 8' bed, short cab are same, all 6' bed ext cab are alike, etc).

You could concievable buy a dead 88 or 90 cheap and get yours back on the road for $3k-$4k or so.

KB

Cutter1
12-16-2002, 11:36 AM
KB are you talking to me or Runner.

Runner
12-16-2002, 03:17 PM
KB,
Yes, the cab is hit, too. The box is driven into the cab, THe drivers door has a big gap at the top, the frame is twisted, so the box is off camber and sticks out further on the passenger side than the drivers. Also, it belly sags, so the frame is bent right about where the back of the cab is. The rear spring hangars are busted, the rearend is twisted as such that the two rear wheel bothe lean, and there are other dents in the cab area under the rear windows where it is buckled. I looked up the bluebook of this, and it gave me $11,700. The assessor is supposed to contact me in the next 24 hrs. to come and take a look at it and let me know. I'm almost aFRAID to have it fixed if they decide to do so, because it probably will never be right as far the bed sitting compared to the cab. A friend told me that when his was done like this, they just cut the rear half of the frame off, and welded new on. These frames are designed to do that in sections, I guess. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Albemarle Lawn
12-16-2002, 03:33 PM
EOM

Gravely_Man
12-16-2002, 04:14 PM
I wish you the best and I am glad to hear that you were not hurt too badly. I would be very concerned to get the truck repaired. Don't rush into a settlement.

Gravely_Man