PDA

View Full Version : Couple quick questions

FrankenScagMachines
12-14-2002, 09:35 PM
1) when driving only a few blocks to the next lawn do you fasten your seatbelt?
2) do you ever fasten your seatbelt at all? Maybe just on highways, anything over 35mph?

3) This one only applies to owners of deisel trucks, but when doing small lawns that take 8-13 minutes or so (not long) do you shut off the truck or leave it running? I have been raised to beleive that deisels are better off left running for a few minutes than shut off, start, shut off, start all the time. Maybe this is only applicable to old school deisel engines and the new ones you can run alot like a gas? I don't have any knowledge or experience with deisels, fill me in.

Thanks,
Eric

Arnold
12-14-2002, 09:58 PM
I always were my seat belt no matter how for it is or how fast I plan to be driveing. I believe the same thing with diesels best left running but don't know if thats true with todays new and improved diesel engines.

wojo23323
12-14-2002, 10:22 PM
I always wear my seat belt and so should you.:)

Lawn Wizard
12-14-2002, 10:30 PM
Yup everytime I get into the truck the seatbelt goes on. Its just a habit now so even if the next stop is only a minute away I click it out of habit.

theplantdoctor
12-14-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by wojo23323
I always wear my seat belt and so should you.:)

I'll second that!

Now, for diesels, we shut it off. Diesels need heat to run. In the summer, heat is usually no problem:p . It will start right up with no hesitation. Remember, it is still burning fuel when it is idling. If you are not driving the truck then you are losing efficiency. If you are the one paying for the fuel, this will add up. Don't forget, most diesels you see running all day are being paid for by someone else! Most employees couln't care less how much fuel the company has to pay for! These days, starting and stopping a diesel engine is no harder on it than a gasser. A very close friend of mine has been working on diesel engines for about 20 years now, and has seen the "myth" destroyed over and over again.

My 0.02

Ken

DLCS
12-14-2002, 11:08 PM
I wear my seatbelt all the time. I don't care if I'm just going a block, anytime the vehicle is moving seatbelts are on. I don't know about Indiana but in Illinois its the law. I've also been told most accidents happen within a few miles of home. Let's be safe.

Mike
DLCS

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-15-2002, 12:59 AM
No seatbelt here. Know I should, but don't. Very uncomfortable. NC has a loophole in the seatbelt law. If your line of work involves alot of stopping and getting out of vechicles, you're not required to wear a seatbelt. EX. Pizza delivery dudes. LCO's would fall in this catergory. Don't get me wrong. Seatbelts should be worn. But I've never worn one while working. Now when I'm in the mommy mobile, that's a different story. First thing I do is click on the belt.

odin
12-15-2002, 01:16 AM
Took a while to get use to it but its the law so i finally got to buckleing up.

bobbygedd
12-15-2002, 01:35 AM
funny this post should come up. just yesterday, i got stopped in my truck at one of those road blocks, where they pull u over and just look to find something wrong(have to meet their quota u know) well, i got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, as i was pulling away, the cop yelled, "sirrrrr, dont u think u should put on your seatbelt?". i said, " i dont have one". well, now hes saying he should impound the vehicle, etc, etc. so, i blew a little smoke up his butt and swore i would take it directly to the repair shop, please dont take my truck, .....its xmas, i have kids to feed, etc, etc. he let me slide.....

PR0 TURF
12-15-2002, 01:55 AM
Me & my guys don't ever wear the seatbelts. No particular reason, we just don't bother. I don't plan on starting to anytime soon either. When its 100 degrees out and youve gotta pile 3 guys into a truck to drive 3 minutes to the next lawn...seatbelts are the last thing on our mind. Maybe its just how we've been brought up??

bobbygedd
12-15-2002, 02:10 AM
the seatbelt law was invented to create revenue. easy dough for the p.d, and also allows them to justify thier exsistance.

Darryl G
12-15-2002, 03:18 AM
Yup, I always wear my seat belt, even for short trips.

Brickman
12-15-2002, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by theplantdoctor
I'll second that!

Now, for diesels, we shut it off. Diesels need heat to run. In the summer, heat is usually no problem:p . It will start right up with no hesitation. Remember, it is still burning fuel when it is idling. If you are not driving the truck then you are losing efficiency. If you are the one paying for the fuel, this will add up. Don't forget, most diesels you see running all day are being paid for by someone else! Most employees couln't care less how much fuel the company has to pay for! These days, starting and stopping a diesel engine is no harder on it than a gasser. A very close friend of mine has been working on diesel engines for about 20 years now, and has seen the "myth" destroyed over and over again.

My 0.02

Ken

An idling diesel pickup does not burn that much fuel. Once on a trip east I idled mine for like 7 hours on one tank of fuel because it was night and I slept in the truck, (let it run for the heat). I noticed a .02 mpg drop on that tank. Not nearly enough to worry about. This was on my PSD, maybe the GM diesels drink enough to make a difference.

I heard that even the big semi engines use about a quart an hour idling. So if it idles for an 8 hour break for the log book it will use 2 gals at $1.139 for fuel your looking at less than $3 for a night. Not bad.

MikeLT1Z28
12-15-2002, 06:56 PM
where are you getting diesel for 1.13/gal? i think it avgs. 1.38/gal here

Randy Scott
12-15-2002, 07:06 PM
No seat belt here. Not that I'm proud of that, I just don't. Also, I wonder how many of you guys that wear seatbelts smoke cigarettes? That's another discussion though.

My diesel is a 2000 and it gets driven like a gasser. Off at every stop unless it's extremely hot out and I leave it run for the A/C to cool off a little between jobs.

Brickman
12-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by MikeLT1Z28
where are you getting diesel for 1.13/gal? i think it avgs. 1.38/gal here

Cheyenne WY, price is down nicely right now.

Doogiegh
12-15-2002, 07:25 PM
I always wear a seatbelt as well. It just doesn't feel the same without it.

For those that don't wear a seatbelt, I believe there should be some kind of medical coverage penalty.. Like if you get in an accident and have a seatbelt on, you're covered. But if you don't have it on, and get hurt, the medical bills are on you and insurance won't pick up the tab.....

Same goes for those who smoke, those motorcycle dudes who refuse to wear a helmet, etc.

Why should MY rates go up because Joe Dork took his harley into a tractor trailer and now he needs a $3,000,000 operation all of which could of been prevented if a $49.95 helmet was being worn...

Seatbelts are there for a reason, and for those who think it's a money generating process, well duh, just keep NOT wearing them and the money for the not wearing a seatbelt ticket will keep rolling in..

If you wear it, you have nothing to complain about and in the event of an accident, you'll be real glad you did.

Gary

odin
12-15-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Also, I wonder how many of you guys that wear seatbelts smoke cigarettes?

I dont smoke never have, is it harder to smoke with seatbelts?
Im not trying to start nothin just wonderin nobody in my family smokes .

Turfdude
12-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Never wear one for work - occasionally strap it on when going long distance for tripsand/or vacation.
Bobbygedd - Unless the seatbelt laws have changed in NJ - you are NOT required to wear one while operating or driving in a commercially registered vehicle. I do not know if the law has changedsinceit firstwent into inception in the late 80's in our great state, but I've been through many a roadside checkpoint and Never been pulled over. Only harrassed by the NJ State Police who pulled over a truck a few years ago on 295 to check operation of electric brakes and brakeaway system.

Bob

Brickman
12-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by odin00
I dont smoke never have, is it harder to smoke with seatbelts?
Im not trying to start nothin just wonderin nobody in my family smokes .

I think he was referring to useing a seat belt to save your life in a wreck while smoking cigs doesn't really make any sense. Seeing as how cigs will kill you too.

odin
12-15-2002, 07:57 PM
O dumb me i see his point .I myself have to be honest the only reason i wear em is the law says to around here.So its just second nature put em on first thing getting into any vehicle now.

mulchmonkey2000
12-15-2002, 08:10 PM
You guys that are getting diesel so cheap can send some my way!!! It runs about $1.49 - $1.51 per gallon here in eastern Pa. I could run a trip over to NJ where i think it's running around $1.30 a gallon but with the time and the new toll rates i'ld be right where i started. Gas is running about $1.38 here, i dunno how that compares to you guys that got diesel so "cheap"
As for the seatbelts, i personally don't wear them unless i'm in a friends car that drives like an idiot or on long trips. Had a friend who's dad was the fire Chief when i was little tell me about an accident where a guy was wearing his seatbelt and it just about cut him in half. I know it's a one in a million thing and that a lot worse happens when you don't wear one, guess i'll learn someday. :blob2:

lawncare3
12-15-2002, 08:20 PM
Always wear one

Darryl G
12-15-2002, 08:27 PM
Doogiegh - Yeah, and penalize fat people too, because they get high blood pressure and die of heart attacks. And stupid people who do stupid things like putting their hands in snow blowers.:D

Randy Scott
12-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Brickman
I think he was referring to useing a seat belt to save your life in a wreck while smoking cigs doesn't really make any sense. Seeing as how cigs will kill you too.

Brickman is correct.
People will wear a seat belt for safety yet smoke cigarettes that knowingly can kill you. It's called being a hypocrite.

bubble boy
12-15-2002, 10:00 PM
in a residential area, no. on major streets (say with 4 lane with lights) always .

remember (and i don't smoke) smoking is an addiction. not wearing the belt is not an addiction, although both could kill you.

Doogiegh
12-15-2002, 10:14 PM
As far as the food goes, we all need it, we all buy it, we all eat and we can all die because of it (too much). So being that food is readily available, I can't argue as strongly against fat people because some of them are not doing anything wrong.

But with a car, it's an ADDED piece of equipment in a car that is there to be used. People choose NOT to use it. That is NEGLIGENCE. And on a case of NEGLIGENCE, if you are hurt, you should pay.. Same thing goes if you side-discharge and bust out a window.. You pay for it.. You MIGHT MULCH which reduces your side-discharge problem, but still crap happens and you try to minimize the risk..

So when you ride on a motorcycle without a helmet, crash, and wind up like Chris Reed, don't do the golly gee and sue Harley for $5 million.. But our insurance rates DO go up because of it.

As far as the snowblower, I've found out that my model was first made in 1978 and is a 1983 r 1984 production unit. Apparently the auger engagement is DIFFERENT on current models than it was in the past since the machine could be off and the augers, under pressure, could still turn.. Which happened to me... Newer machines have a clutch type system that disperses such tension so accidents like ME don't happen again.

After the accident happened, with my fingers bleeding like you can't believe (inside a glove), I still collected my money from the customer (waited for them to make out a CHECK! UGH!) and then loaded up and went on my way. Didn't even tell the customer what happened - why stress them out? I'm not suing Toro or anyone and I'll even take it that if my hospital bill was "denied" for some reason, I'd pay it myself. I made the mistake, I SHOULD of known better and didn't and got hurt, and whoops on me.

It just pains me to know that for some, seat belts are out there, not used, and these people COULD be seriously hurt and the "pain prevention" is in the car, not 6 inches away from them..

And crap happens so fast (accidents) and you always wish you could go back in time just 2 or 3 seconds to prevent the accident, etc..

Gary

Boycea
12-15-2002, 10:19 PM
I never used to wear my seatbelt, but it unfortunately took an accident to make me wear it. I totaled my work truck one year and ever since then I dont go anywhere without wearing one.

bubble boy
12-15-2002, 10:22 PM
if it hasn't yet been said...

for all those that don't wear them fine but make your kids wear them. please.

GLS
12-15-2002, 11:48 PM
I always wear mine. Even if i'm just backing the truck up to the street it goes on, not because I mean to, just because it is a habit.

Darryl G
12-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Doogie, I was just yanking your chain about the snow blower accident.

The problem I have is your comment about smoking. Lots of people do lots of things to their health, eat too much, don't eat right, don't exercise etc. That actually costs us more money in health care costs annually than smoking. For the record, I do smoke, but not very much, and am in pretty good shape for 40, and I already pay higher health care and life insurance premiums because of it.

Also denying coverage to people who don't wear belts doesn't sound fair, because who's to say you wouldn't have been injured anyway.

yourlawnguy
12-16-2002, 12:00 AM
Always wear my seat belt, have been for 38 years and it's the law in Florida... funny though...helmets are optional....except on bicycles. This state just doesn't make sense sometimes.

AztlanLC
12-16-2002, 12:30 AM
for all those that don't wear them fine but make your kids wear them. please.

Very good point, I don't care if you guys wear seatbelts or not I personally don't when I'm working.

Doogiegh
12-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Here's a ramble for ya Darryl, it's late <G>

Ok, lets say a smokers house burns down because of a cigarette.... should the house insurance pay the homeowner $200,000 to build a new house? HMM. <G>

I mean heck, you lite a match, puffed up a fire and now wanna cry cause your house is burnt.. Sorry, but what did ya expect.

Now, have a electrical wire cause a switch went bad or a light bulb exploded or something.. that's unavoidable and a bad case of bad luck.

What I am saying is that I don't have "as much" sympathy for someone who is hurt by an event when the events damages may very well of been minimized by using a safety device that was available OR reasonable common sense.

I can't WAIT for NYC to outlaw smoking in public places.

As an advanced society, smoking does NOTHING that is good. NOTHING. It was a mistake back years ago to make smoking cool, the human race made a mistake and it should be stopped. Kids died of lead paint, so they stopped it right away. People die from lung cancer of smoking for the last 100 years and no-body says Boo. I don't get that one..

And yet we go about our protective ways in our seat-belted, crumple zone, airbag, side air bag cars so we don't get a broken pinky. <G>

Got the stitches out today from the snowblower chopped hand. Feeling much better, thanks. :)

Gary

Darryl G
12-16-2002, 12:57 AM
Doogiegh - If you make you example a crack head instead of a smoker I'll go along with you.:D

It's a matter of where you draw the line. What about the romantic couple who has a candle lit dinner and ends up in the bedroom, forgets about the candles and burns the house down. You gonna deny them the insurance check too. Or the idiot who uses a torch to thaw his pipes and catches the house on fire.

And, smoking certainly does do some good things, gives me an excuse to run out and buy some and stop at the local tavern for a quick beer. Also, the coating of tar is like asphalt and protects your lungs!!!:D :D :D

bilbo7021
12-16-2002, 01:22 AM
Gary, I hate to pick a stupid fight but, seatbelts can neither improve the chance of living, nor do they detract from it. I've been on accedent scenes where the seatbelt killed or mamed; and I've been around when they saved lives. It's 50/50 no matter what they tell us all. I remember as a child being saved by one; and I remember just last year when the passenger side of a F250 I was in got crushed into the center. And yes, I was the passenger; and yes, I was told by the firemen that if I had the seatbelt on, I'd be dead cause I wouldn't have been able to move as far left as I did. Seatbelts were created out of a good idea, no problem there. The laws and the fines, and all the little words they keep throwing at people were meant for one thing....to make money off of stupid people who didn't go along. So I guess that makes me a stupid person. Like I said, 50/50, if you're meant to go, you go.....seatbelt or no seatbelt.