PDA

View Full Version : keepind down weeds

Mowerboy04
04-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, i do maintenance for a car dealership here in town. I need some advice on keeping the weeds down. During the spring clean up we went though and weeded everything very well and sprayed down snap shot which is suppose to prevent weeds. I came back to mow this week and there seems to be weeds poping up everywhere!! Any advice on how to keep them under control? anything i can put down in addition to the snap shot? Or am i just stuck weeding for a few hours each week.

thanks
alex

charmill26
04-09-2012, 12:54 AM
snapshot is a pre-emergent. its not gonna stop weeds that already germinated

Mowerboy04
04-09-2012, 09:13 AM
snapshot is a pre-emergent. its not gonna stop weeds that already germinated

so would my best bet just be to go though and pull them all again? or maybe spray with round up?

Dr.NewEarth
04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Expect to do some weed wacking every week. Use round-up when the temperature stays around 70 degrees ferenheit. Pull the grass out by hand.

andersman02
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
im confused as to where the weeds are, planting beds or in the turf area?

like othershave said,spraying preemergent will only stop weeds seed that have not germinated yet.

If in the lawn, an application of something like weed-be-gone may by an option

We always try to keep in mind proper cultural practices also like mowing at the correct height- right now you could mow as short as 2.5" when it gets later in the season where drought and heat stress can occur, we mow at 3.5" to keep the turf from burning out because as soon as this happens, weeds will start to take over.

Dr.NewEarth
04-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm presuming the weeds are growing in the black top car display area.

Mowerboy04
04-09-2012, 05:30 PM
weeds are mainly in the landscape beds in front of the dealership.

charmill26
04-09-2012, 06:34 PM
You should be able to spray the new ones with roundup and be set for a few months after since you put down snapshot

Weekend cut easymoney
04-11-2012, 07:43 PM
early Feb....
-spray weeds with roundup
-spread snapshot
-add mulch to beds
DONT go digging around in the bed after you have installed the snapshot, if you disturb the ground, you nullify most of the preemergent-

Dr.NewEarth
04-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Spray the small garden weeds with a 2,4-D solution. Pull the bigger ones by hand. Glyphosates will drift and damage or kill the garden plants.

Duekster
04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Spray the small garden weeds with a 2,4-D solution. Pull the bigger ones by hand. Glyphosates will drift and damage or kill the garden plants.

I would worry more about 2,4 D drift but that is just me.