PDA

View Full Version : how close am i

voglernut
12-14-2002, 11:19 PM
the pastor of my church told me to give him a bid on mowing the church property. before i tell him my bid, i want your opinion. it's just under 5 1/2 acres and it's all flat. no trees. i have a 60" ZTR. there is some trimming to do but mostly mowing. i figure i can do it by myself in a couple of hours. does $110 per mowing sound about right to you guys. i'm brand new at this bidding thing. remember, it's also my church. i'm sure i'll probably be asking your opinion on other properties in the future. thanks for all your comments and advice.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
12-14-2002, 11:29 PM
If it were my church I would charge for the equip.and help and donate my share to the church then use it as a tax right off.

grassdaddy
12-14-2002, 11:32 PM
that sounds about right, if it turns out you can actually do all them acres in 2 hours.

CMerLand
12-15-2002, 12:18 AM
Garden Guy,

Personal services provided to a non profit are not tax deductible. Was asked to provide a years service contract for a friends charity and spelled out all the terms of putting a value on the cost, then learned from my accountant that this would not be tax deductible. I could obviously deduct the cost of my paid laborers to be at the site, but not the full value of what I would charge if they were paying.

Still waiting to hear from the winner to find out where his lawn is.

CMerrick

Runner
12-15-2002, 12:33 AM
This has been discussed before, and the part about the service donation not being fully tax exempt is correct. However, if you DID want to have it exempt, collect the full amount, and write it as a donation afterwards. This way, you have billed and recieved the monies, and now you are donating the actual money.
Now, let's get to the real deal. No one said you were donating all that to the church, right? That's fine, too. As far as the price, that sounds very fair. You always want to do right by your church for a number of reasons. Mainly, being the obvious, it's the right thing to do.
Look at it this way; Mowing 5 1/2 acres of flat church turf $110.00
Impressing an entire congregation of potential future customers;
Priceless.;)

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-15-2002, 12:41 AM
I started mowing my new church 3 years ago. Takes 1 1/2 hours, $75/cut. What I did was raise my pledge amt. by 50%. I don't bill the church for my services until I reach my pledged amount in terms of mowing. Strange when the plate goes by every week. Think to myself, just look outside at that beautiful yard. There's my offerring.:angel: :angel: :angel:

bobbygedd
12-15-2002, 01:46 AM
dont charge? hmmm, interesting. when my children were baptized(my wifes doing), i was required to give a "mandatory donation". you see, it wasnt a fee, it was a "mandatory donation" . and there was a $100 minimum! it took this guy 45 min, to "baptize" 12 children. at a minimum of $100 a pop, thats alot of dough for babbling a few words and eating a cookie, and splashing some water. charge !!!!

KLMlawn
12-15-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
dont charge? hmmm, interesting. when my children were baptized(my wifes doing), i was required to give a "mandatory donation". you see, it wasnt a fee, it was a "mandatory donation" . and there was a $100 minimum! it took this guy 45 min, to "baptize" 12 children. at a minimum of $100 a pop, thats alot of dough for babbling a few words and eating a cookie, and splashing some water. charge !!!!

Hummm... why does this scam sound familiar ???

When I was going to be wed to my first wife, I remember that the Catholic Church (her desire) wanted a "mandatory donation" of something in the area of $300 to perform the service. Then in speaking with the priest, he wanted me to become baptised (seeing as I never was formally brought up in any specific religion) which required another "madatory donation", I think there was mention of Pre-Caina classes, again requiring a "madatory donation", and all this was aside from the usual county clerk fee for the license.

In the end, the church didn't get a dime of the close to $1000 they were expecting and we were very happy to have the Justice of the Peace marry us, including the County licensing fee for a total of about $275 ...

Why should ANY place of worship for any religion be absolved from paying taxes and being accountable when most make HUGE amounts of untraceable money from "donations" - mandatory or otherwise, but we, the working stiffs, have every dollar scrutinized and taxed at least 2-3 times as it passes thru each and every one of our hands.
Just sit back and think about the average usable length of time every bill printed for circulation has ... we will say 5 years to be conservative but I am sure that in many instances, it is much more. Consider how many times in that 5 year period, does that $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, or $100 change hands, either in practice or on paper ... and every time, it is (suppose to be) taxed.
And another thing to consider ... after you have been overwhelmed by figuring out the amount of money our gorvernment makes every day off every dollar in circulation, maybe you can answer the question as to why our goverment is in debt.

GrassCtr
12-15-2002, 04:54 AM
Being a Baptist I have never heard of a mandatory "fee" for baptisism. If you become saved and accept Christ the next step is to be baptized, no charge for that. Anything that charges would raise a BIG flag to me.

wojo23323
12-15-2002, 07:31 AM
The church has operating expenses just like your business. They need to charge "donations" to stay in business. They have salaries to pay, mortgage and utility bills just like any other business. I have not been to church in years, but if you are a member of a church you should pay your fair share. As for charging for services my opinion is you should charge them what your equipment costs are or swap your services for an ad in the church bulletin or newsletter.

sheppard
12-15-2002, 07:50 AM
This is an effort to show how fickle churches can be.

I've been doing my church for the past year for free. They've had hard financial times so I thought it would be a good move. I eventually ended up on the vestry (an Episcopal version of the Deacon board).

Well last month at our monthly meeting the vestry thought they wanted to hire a LCO to handle the property. The Sr. Warden thought that since I was on the vestry it would not be a good idea for me to do it for pay. After some thought I agreed with that.

They bugeted $2,400.00 for the year for the servece. I quickly spoke up and said "It takes 3 hours to do the property...no company in town will do it for less than $35.00 an hour. That's almost $3,800.00 with the proper number of cuts."

Everyone's jaw dropped and suddely they wanted to rethink paying for it...they eventually agreed to put in my budget numbers and bid it out.

Moral of the story?

Even you're good friends at church can be cheap...don't cut your price. Eventually someone will find something wrong or demand extra services or just start gripping. If you charge them your normal price then they will be another normal customer,

Cordially,
Sheppard

Christianstine
12-15-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by GrassCtr
Being a Baptist I have never heard of a mandatory "fee" for baptisism. If you become saved and accept Christ the next step is to be baptized, no charge for that. Anything that charges would raise a BIG flag to me.

AMEN BROTHER!

mowerman90
12-15-2002, 10:15 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again,"NEVER EVER WORK FOR DOCTORS,LAWYERS,OR CLERGY!!!"

Brickman
12-15-2002, 10:28 AM
Back when I was a good little boy and went to church, myself and another LCO would trade months of mowing. I would mow the whole month unless I couldn't for some reason and then I would trade with the other dude. Worked out good. On the month that I mowed the offering plate was short the amount I would usually put in. I felt no guilt with doing it that way.

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
Bobby I am charging. Reread my post. Instead of billing the church for my services, I receive a credit on my pledge acct for the same amt. Once I receive enough credits to satisfy my total pledge amt, then I start getting $$$ from the church.

lawncare3
12-15-2002, 08:45 PM
Are we all now in church

Doc Pete
12-15-2002, 09:50 PM
FWIW,
The head minister of my church makes about $130,000 a year. This includes his SEP, housing offset, FICA donation, clothing offset, and medical coverage. The organist makes in the $60,000 range. I'd say, with these figures, and the Church being a business.... I'd keep business and Church separate. Charge the Church as a business, and make your yearly offering what you feel comfortable with.
FYI, everything associated with the church is billed as a normal business. Digging graves, putting in foundations, painting, roofing, A/C repairs, and masonery, is all done "as business". Why should you be any different? IMO, doing the fall cleanup at no charge is fine, but a week cutting of the property is "business". Furthermore, you may find people want the lawn done at a certain time, or want the walks blown clean, or want it cut more often. IOW, I'm suggesting your are opening a can of worms by doing a job that should be a "contracted" one. Remember you'll never please everyone in the congregation.
Pete

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Switch If your last post was directed at me, have you ever heard of TRADING OFF? There's quite a few threads on trading off, and quite a few people on this forum do this. Just another way of doing biz. I don't have to write checks every week to the church and visa versa.

Doc Pete
12-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by LAWNS AND MOWER
Switch If your last post was directed at me, have you ever heard of TRADING OFF? There's quite a few threads on trading off, and quite a few people on this forum do this. Just another way of doing biz. I don't have to write checks every week to the church and visa versa.

OK, this "is" the original post from "Voglernut"........
<<<the pastor of my church told me to give him a bid on mowing the church property. before i tell him my bid, i want your opinion. it's just under 5 1/2 acres and it's all flat. no trees. i have a 60" ZTR. there is some trimming to do but mostly mowing. i figure i can do it by myself in a couple of hours. does $110 per mowing sound about right to you guys. i'm brand new at this bidding thing. remember, it's also my church. i'm sure i'll probably be asking your opinion on other properties in the future. thanks for all your comments and advice.>>>>

This is all I was responding to. You must be worrying about something else I don't know about.
Pete

strickdad
12-15-2002, 11:32 PM
switchless is right, charge them like you would any other biz. btw 110.00 is to cheap. for 5.5ac. (60,000 for the organist?) man i need to take lessons..