PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

FIMCO-MEISTER
04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm yanking up some piss poor malibu lights. They were path lights for the railroad tie steps. Besides putting out less light than my IPhone they were buried in snow half the year. I've got 60 watts to work with. Originally I was thinking about putting two 20W spotlights on the pine trees on each side of the steps pointing at the steps. Now I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better mounting 4 10W lights underneath the rail on the left side. I'm using an existing 88W Intermatic transformer and 10-20W I'm using on a fountain not in these pictures. I bought an underwater Vista light for it.

American made is always my preference. I'm dealing with a condo association so I can't go crazy. Here is my thought. The malibus have that wire running through them. So if I cut out each of the malibus I can splice in a decent light under the left rail. If I do anything different I'll need to get some wire and run it differently but I am okay with that as well.

FIMCO-MEISTER
04-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Something similar to this under the rail?

bcg
04-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Are you trying to light the steps? How tall are the pine trees?

FIMCO-MEISTER
04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes just the steps. The pine trees are 20'+

While we are at it would you use the spread deflector in this fountain light?

BrandonV
04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
here's a bench I did fimco, similar I think to what you're wanting. problem with the rail will be hiding the source. might led rope work? you could run a grove down the center of the rail and bore, or it might be even easier to box in the handrail.

FIMCO-MEISTER
04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Gregg suggested the led rope light as well. It doesn't really fit the decor and attitude of this place. I like the light on your bench? Brandon. Are those 10watt? What if I did three 20watt two on the left side at the top and near the bottom and one on the right side in the center. I could still run the wire mostly in the ground and come up along the back of the posts and do a little better job hiding the wire.

bcg
04-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Any chance you can downlight from the trees? The effect will be better and you'll need fewer fixtures.

FIMCO-MEISTER
04-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Yeah that's possible. Will I get enough light to make the steps safely visible?
2. 30watt?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
1: Stop worrying about your limited power supply by using LED lamps in what ever fixtures you choose.

2: Use post mounted fixtures to effectively light the rail / step feature. There are a bunch of different styles and price points on the market.

bcg
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
I'd look at LED with an equivalent to 2 35W lamps. In Kichler, I'd be looking at the 15742 (8.5W, 35*). This is the retirement condo, right? If so, you might need to add a 3rd fixture to get it bright enough for the residents since our ability to see in low light diminishes with age.

Alan B
04-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Fimco,

Good to see you on the lighting part of lawnsite... bring some of your irrigators over with you.

Because of the heavy snow fall, and it being a HOA I like the idea of the downlights from the Pine tree and the hardscape lights under the rails (as opposed to area lights that can get covered by snow or knocked over).

I would use the hardscape lights on the right side rails (when looking down) to highlight the stairs and rails for safety, as well as hit the rock wall for aesthetics. 20w halogen bipin or or LED equivalent so it is bright enough for safety. Run the wire up the backside of the post and use a dado cut molding to cover the wire and stain to match wood.

Aim 2 downlights from the pine (20w 60 degree LED MR16). One aimed more towards the top section of stairs, one more towards the bottom section. Have these lights aimed in between the tree and the stairs for general soft moonlighting of the area. The hardscape lights will be more task oriented and the 2 downlights will both look nice on the tree and area below the tree but also add ambient and fill in lighting around the stairs.

For the fountain, I would have used 3 fixtures, each with 35 w (a lot of the light gets wasted since there isn't much to reflect off, so sometimes in fountains you need a lot more fixtures-- but depends on the effect you want and level of ambient light).

The fixtures we carry to suit the above would be:
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/v/vspfiles/photos/668-2T.jpghttp://www.landscapelightingworld.com/Hardscape-Light-p/668.htm

http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/v/vspfiles/photos/181-top%20dog%20downlight-2T.jpghttp://www.landscapelightingworld.com/LED-Outdoor-Lighting-Downlight-p/181-top%20dog%20downlight.htm

http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/v/vspfiles/photos/680-2T.jpghttp://www.landscapelightingworld.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=680

Lamps:
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/v/vspfiles/photos/8-LED-MR16-3w-2.jpghttp://www.landscapelightingworld.com/LED-Landscape-Light-Bulbs-MR16-3w-p/8-led-mr16-3w.htm

All the above fixtures are solid cast brass (superior to aluminum), include 25' lead wire that is tinned copper, have pregreased sockets and have a lifetime warranty. Everything is in stock and ships same day.

By the way I would replace the home run cable if the Malibu's had quick connectors (pierce points connectors). Pierce point connectors tend to wick water into the cable and most of the time the cable has corrosion inside the cable (under the insulation). That corrosion creeps down the wire and spreads and will contaminate new fixtures as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us and we'd be happy to help (813) 978-3700. Be sure to say you came from Lawnsite and apply for a wholesale account as well.

Good luck!
Sincerely,

Stuttering Stan
04-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Pete, I'm a big fan of post mounted fixtures such as this. Wide range of prices depending on bronze, brass material. Considering this is an HOA, LED can be pricey compared to halogen but each have their pros/ cons.

Alan B
04-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Pete, I'm a big fan of post mounted fixtures such as this. Wide range of prices depending on bronze, brass material. Considering this is an HOA, LED can be pricey compared to halogen but each have their pros/ cons.
Nice fixtures but the vertical posts in the pic are 2 x4's with the thin 1 3/4" side facing the stairs. Typical post mounted deck lights like the hockey puck style above will be too big and overhang the 1 3/4" stud-- looks bad and can get torqued off if hit or caught on someones pants. The hardscape style light will be mounted higher (greater illumination area) and they can be bend slightly to better aim the light direction exactly where you want it.

irrig8r
04-11-2012, 02:39 AM
1: Stop worrying about your limited power supply by using LED lamps in what ever fixtures you choose.

2: Use post mounted fixtures to effectively light the rail / step feature. There are a bunch of different styles and price points on the market.

I suggested Peter check out the various versions of NS Postliters and a Vista equivalent, and he could use those with Illumicare LEDs, right?

I think all he needs is 5: one on every other post alternating sides.

He could use downlights from the trees and LED MR16s would certainly increase the maintenance interval, but that might also mean problems as the trees grow around the fixtures or cable that might not get noticed.

BTW, they look like 4 x 4s or at the least 3 x 4s for the posts and 2 x 6s for the top rail to my eyes.

FIMCO-MEISTER
04-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Okay it's 2:40am and I've combined all the suggestions and here is what I'm going to do. I see the beauty to led now. 3watts which is the equivalent to 20 watts. So with a 88 watt transformer I have 20-25 fixture potential. Unfortunately I won't get the okay for that BUT I will eventually. I need to light at least one tree and add two under rail lights plus boost the fountain light bulb to a 10 watt led? Eventually I'll get more lights in the fountain. Since I'm replacing a tri color piece of plastic junk one decent light is going to be a vast improvement. Do pine trees light well? Unfortunately all this is next a giant flag light. I'll go take a pic now for the night time view.

BrandonV
04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
my lights you see there powered by leds from james' company, worked really good. tree lights are also a great idea.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
my lights you see there powered by leds from james' company, worked really good. tree lights are also a great idea.

Just to clarify; The LED lamps that Brandon is referring to are from Illumicare.
www.illumicaregroup.com

Thanks.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
I suggested Peter check out the various versions of NS Postliters and a Vista equivalent, and he could use those with Illumicare LEDs, right?

I think all he needs is 5: one on every other post alternating sides.

He could use downlights from the trees and LED MR16s would certainly increase the maintenance interval, but that might also mean problems as the trees grow around the fixtures or cable that might not get noticed.

BTW, they look like 4 x 4s or at the least 3 x 4s for the posts and 2 x 6s for the top rail to my eyes.

I agree with Gregg on this one. The posts are certainly 4x4 and mounting traditional 'post lights' on them, just below the rail, would effectively, efficiently and attractively light the steps.

I would also include downlighting from the trees using appropriate tree mounted downlight fixtures such as the Illumicare Hyperion. http://www.illumicaregroup.com/2011/11/hyperion/

irrig8r
04-12-2012, 02:09 AM
I agree with Gregg on this one. The posts are certainly 4x4 and mounting traditional 'post lights' on them, just below the rail, would effectively, efficiently and attractively light the steps.

I would also include downlighting from the trees using appropriate tree mounted downlight fixtures such as the Illumicare Hyperion. http://www.illumicaregroup.com/2011/11/hyperion/

Hyperion looks like a well designed unit.

What was that line I've heard you say... something about "the higher the light, the closer to God"...?

You won't catch me up high in trees though...

Just read this: "Hyperion is IP68 rated, making it fully water-tight and submersible to 15 meters (49’) depth; a first for any tree mounted downlight."

So, this is in case your tree gets knocked into a lake? Or just how high do those snow drifts get there in Muskoka?

:laugh:

S&MLL
04-12-2012, 11:48 AM
So, this is in case your tree gets knocked into a lake? Or just how high do those snow drifts get there in Muskoka?

:laugh:

Hahah hopefully the lake isnt deeper then 60ft
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
04-12-2012, 12:22 PM
We have a board meeting Sat and i'll see what I can squeeze out of them

BUT I have another question getting back to the fountain light. Right now its just a 10watt which isn't going to do a whole lot. I was studying Illumicare site and see that LEDs max out at 20 watt halogen? I was looking at those LED G5.3 BI-Pins which put out more side light? If you were going with one light in a fountain (more may come later) what would you advise in regard to the bulb and would you use the deflector? My VISTA fixture allows up to 20 watts.

S&MLL
04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I would not use that fixture. You want a mr based spot fixture. No matter what lamp you use you will never be happy with that fixtures output
Posted via Mobile Device

irrig8r
04-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I would not use that fixture. You want a mr based spot fixture. No matter what lamp you use you will never be happy with that fixtures output
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you ever used one? I have, and it worked fine. Even had to shield it on the side where there was a walkway. It was a concrete bowl on a pillar in the center of a maybe 7 ft diameter above ground brick-sided pond.

Lit it up just fine.

Just tried searching for a photo but can't locate right now. Install was 5 or 6 years ago.

David Gretzmier
04-13-2012, 12:46 AM
I think puck lights mounted on the posts with a newer LED retrofit bi-pin would work fine. another option might be the newer silicone covered LED strip lights that come in 15-16 foor rolls mounted under the rails. they give much greater lumens that LED rope. but For the most of the strip lights you need DC, not the AC voltage that comes out of landcape light trans.

a really cool fountain option is the deeper fountain mr-16 fixtures and then use an RGB LED 5w mr-16 retrofit bulb from ebay. you can program them to slowly fade between colors, or just stay with blue, or red, green, or many colors in between. costwise it is not too much, and so far I am finding they last around 3-5 years. they usually come with a remote to change the program without removing the bulb from the fixture. buy and replace bulbs in groups on the same property if you want them all to sync when fading or changing colors, not all manufacturors have the same time and color sequences.

FIMCO-MEISTER
04-13-2012, 10:44 AM
You have a link for those silicone covered LEDs? Thanks I like out of the box thinking