PDA

View Full Version : problem with trailer lights on Different trucks!!!

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Well im trying to pull my enclosed trailer with my 2007 GMC 4500. Did it a couple years ago and it worked. Just hooked it up today and the whole left side of the trailer doesn't work! No lights what so ever on that side. Now the right side works (Turn signal, brake, etc..) But nothing on the Left side.

So i hooked up the 4500 to the open trailer and i have NOTHING what so ever working on that trailer. In the meantime EVERYTHING works when i hook up a pickup truck to these trailers.

Anyone know what the problem sounds like??

LBA1999
04-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I have had this problem on several GM trucks. They were all smaller pickups but the 4500 may be different. There are several different fuses to run the lights. I think brake lights and maybe turn signals have a separate fuses than running lights. Both times it was a blown fuse that was keeping the lights from working. There are two fuse panels on 1999-2006 gm pickups. One on the dash by the driver's door and one under the hood. The panel under the hood is where the problem fuse is. Like I said the 4500 may be different but I have had this same problem where some lights work and others don't on two separate gm vehicles and this same fuse was blown both times and when i replaced it the lights worked. Hope this helps.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your help! I appreciate it! Just a quick update, We do have running light just no turn signals or brake lights on the left side of the trailer.

So i think there has to be a fuse out or the wire is split. Gonna google the scems. of my 4500 and see where the other fuse box might be....

HeyLBA.. do you know specifically what fuse has been giving you trouble? i know there are a bunch down there! Dont wanna pull out every single one!

dieselss
04-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Should be fuses under the hood. Start there as stated,,,the ck the truck side trail plug before you start probing wires under the truck
Posted via Mobile Device

APLUS LAWN CARE
04-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Check the fuses first. I would also check the ground

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Should be fuses under the hood. Start there as stated,,,the ck the truck side trail plug before you start probing wires under the truck
Posted via Mobile Device

Replaced the truck side plug today. Wires looked Crystal Clear! Never seen them so clean!

Check the fuses first. I would also check the ground

Looks like im going to have to First find the fuse box under the hood..... then figure out which fuse goes to the trailer lights

dieselss
04-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Ok wires looked good, but did you ck for left side signal at the plug? If your not getting signal at the plug, you have to back track to find out why.
Posted via Mobile Device

dieselss
04-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Sounds like its your truck that's the issue 100% find the fuse box,,,and double ck your truck side gnd as mentioned before
Posted via Mobile Device

T-Trim
04-11-2012, 01:32 AM
So you tested the same truck to two different trailers? One is given different results then the other. Please clarify why?

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Sounds like its your truck that's the issue 100% find the fuse box,,,and double ck your truck side gnd as mentioned before
Posted via Mobile Device

YEah i just gotta get a minute and look up which fuse it might be...then locate it.

So you tested the same truck to two different trailers? One is given different results then the other. Please clarify why?

Yes i connected the truck to 2 different trailers. One was and enclosed and the other was a enclosed trailer.
This was to see if it was a truck problem or trailer problem. When i connect my 2500 to BOTH trailers all functions work.

So this leads me to believe it is the 4500/ truck problem. If i knew why this was happening i wouldnt be on here asking this question :laugh:

Once again when i connect the 4500 to my open trailer i get no lights what so ever.

When its connected to the enclosed trailer i get runners but no brake lights or turn signals.