PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Fabric Labor-hours

devildog
12-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Would like to hear from someone who has recently installed landscape fabric on new construction. We've not installed fabric on a new install in sometime. And frankly, don't trust my job-costing labor-hours element from that job (too old / info vague / different crew). We use fabric on alot of small rehabs / projects. But man-hours are typically inconsistant, due the project types.

Have 11 beds; total 5500sf+ (already have mat. costs w/ Dewitt spun-bound). And not to much overlapping that will need to be done. Have already accounted fot the mat loss on that portion.

Have done a search, but no luck for this info, just the typical yack about the pro's and con's etc.

Look forward to hearing from those who have the labor #'s, per sf, sy or however your calculating the manhours. Thank you. With Regards... devildog

LAWNGODFATHER
12-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Like anything in biz, mistakes are made and esimating time is what you base most of your income off of.

However there is no such tool that would be universal.

How long do you think it will take (employee's work slower than you) and add a fudge factor in for if it takes longer.

imalandscper
12-19-2002, 09:29 PM
i always bill by the hour on somethihng liike that. Also consider nailing in yur weed barrier down in the beds.... is one of my tricks that i do not let often but there is so much advice here and i have learned so much i figure hey....we are all trying to make an honest buck!!!

Good Luck

p.s. i charge by linear foot.....1.50.....plus labor...(includes nails)

Randy Scott
12-19-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by imalandscper
Also consider nailing in yur weed barrier down in the beds.... is one of my tricks that i do not let often but there is so much advice here and i have learned so much i figure hey....we are all trying to make an honest buck!!!

I think alot more people are aware of that than you think. I've yet to come across weed barrier not nailed down.
I see you're not too far away imalandscper, hidee ho neighbor!

imalandscper
12-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Randy,

That really suprises me that you see that all the time...I have never come accross it and when i am doing it clients always ask me why. So how is the market over by you? Mine is very saturated by fly-by-nights.it is getting rediculous. Hard to make a good buck with the cut -throats.

talk at ya later....

Andy

mklawnman
12-21-2002, 11:19 PM
YEah I've heard of that trick too of nailing landscape fabric down, my dad has done it before and so have I. I would probably charge per hour for install, plus materials and mark up on materials.
Hidi Ho Neighbors:cool:, I've met Randy already, hes my next door neighbor :D
imalandscaper-Your just about a 30min drive from here i think.
The market down here seems competative with plenty of work, which is always good :D
Matt

Randy Scott
12-22-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by mklawnman

Hidi Ho Neighbors:cool:, I've met Randy already, hes my next door neighbor :D
imalandscaper-Your just about a 30min drive from here i think.
The market down here seems competative with plenty of work, which is always good :D
Matt

I agree with Matt. I really don't have a problem with the market, yet. I know Matt and I are in the growing stages and numbers are constantly going up as we both build our companies. Matt and I try to work back and forth if we can.
I guess there are the people that may price lower, but we have standards and stick to the prices. Maybe more established larger companies have declining numbers due to many entry level companies. I also believe they are adapting to the issues.
Provide good service and you will obtain that type of client where bottom dollar pricing isn't an issue.

P.S. Are we going to ever get snow or what Matt? :(

mklawnman
12-22-2002, 07:18 PM
Hey Randy, on the long range forcast looking like next sunday through Tuesday snow :D Who knows, we could be working New YEars eve:rolleyes:
Sorry to get off track on the topic.
Matt