PDA

View Full Version : Staking trees

Toatlandscape
12-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Queen palm question. Has any one got any suggestions as to how to stake 10-12 foot Queen Palms? My problem is that the portion at about 5 ft is only about 3" in diameter so 2x4's are too big. I use the 2x4's on larger trees but have never had a problem with the smaller palms. Usually just washing them is fine but with all the rain and wind lately I am having a problem with some leaning. I planted 18 in the last week and have a problem with about 6 of them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Lee

SJH Landscaping
12-15-2002, 09:04 PM
Use Duckbill Earth Anchors, drive the anchor in the ground with a driving rod and then set the anchor with in cable attached to it by putting the cable on the driving rod and pulling up on one side.
Then attach it to the tree.

Look it up at Sherrill.com

Ric
12-15-2002, 09:12 PM
Queen Palm-Arecastrum romanzoffianum, Named after the Royal Russia Family. Formerly known as Coco plumosa and was believed to be related to the coconut tree. This Brazil native grows to an average hieght of 35 ft and is used as a framing tree or background tree. This tree requires large amounts of nitrogen and shows minor element defiency in calcareous soils. Major problems are fungus of which Gama derma there is no cure. Queen Palms are monocotes and grow only from a termial bud. Unlike diocotes they grow to there full gurth and then grow upward. They will never increase there gurth after the termical bud has grown past that point.

If they are 12 ft OA and only 3 inches at 5 ft. Then sent them back to the grower and tell him there is a product called FERTILIZER. He should try some. Spell it F-E-R-T-I-L-I-Z-E-R it is used to grow health Plants not twigs.

Toatlandscape
12-16-2002, 07:22 AM
Ric,

Thank you for your response. Though not very helpful. These trees are quite healthy and have a large base but do taper to the top. I am very confident these will grow to be extremely beautiful and healthy trees. Surely you are not suggesting that every Queen has grey wood at 12 ft as most of those that I have seen are stunted and never grow to their full potential.

Back to the question how to stake smaller trees when necessary. In most cases staking is not necessary but because of weather conditions and soil some of these need it. Duckbills are a choice but they are difficult to keep secured at the top they tend to fall on the smaller trees.

Thank you.