PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ran into this before?

TaylorLawn
12-15-2002, 07:07 PM
A fellow LCO called me a few weeks ago and explained to me that he had to go out of town on an emergency, and asked for my help, which I obliged. He is a retired military officer and has about twenty accounts to keep himself busy, I have done this before with about two weeks notice, this was an unexpected thing. I remebered most of them, but wrote the addresses down anyhow and proceeded to service his customers. Low and behold I lost the list, I mowed most of them, but could not get to two of them, I did not know how to reach him out of town. I passed him on the road today and realized he was back in town. I feel extremly bad about losing the list, and I hope it did not reflect negatively on him. He usually pays me in one lump some, no matter what he charges, he asks me to charge him what I feel is fair. I dont even feel like charging him anything since I faltered on two of his accounts. Should I initiate contact with him regarding the yards serviced, or wait for him to contact me.....I am leaning toward calling it even steven, but I dont know......after all, I did use my equipment and personnel for the remainder...???? any thoughts?

saktate
12-15-2002, 07:16 PM
I'm not a lawn care professional but I could easily be one of the two property owners you missed. As a property owner I would accept your explanation without another thought. Sounds very plausible. Consequently, I believe your entitled to payment for the accounts you serviced. Just my point of view.

grassdaddy
12-15-2002, 07:23 PM
Call him now !! I wish i had a buddie to help me out like you did for him.What man hasn't lost a list or two ? You did your best,he'll understand and be grateful.:cool:

Envy Lawn Service
12-15-2002, 07:28 PM
If I were you, this is what I would do...and why...

I'd put together a bill for what I did get done. Then I would contact him to let him know about things. You want to be the bearer of bad news, not a customer who calls and complains.

Make the contact in person. Most ex-military (like myself) and older individuals like face to face conversation when talking business.

I'd explain the situation, hand him the bill and tell him to deduct what he thinks is fair for any damage/extra work you may have caused him. This way, he can dock you what he feels is fair if it takes a lot longer to get those accounts in shape.

Surely he'll respect that, treat you fair and call on you again if he needs you.

Tvov
12-15-2002, 07:58 PM
Contact him soon, the longer you wait will just cause bad feelings.

TaylorLawn
12-15-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks, you guys are right about me being the first one to inform him.......he has often said that when he decides to retire completely that he was going to recommend my business to his clients.........I do not want to discourage that!.......Ill call now, ET

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-15-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by saktate
I'm not a lawn care professional but I could easily be one of the two property owners you missed. As a property owner I would accept your explanation without another thought. Sounds very plausible. Consequently, I believe your entitled to payment for the accounts you serviced. Just my point of view.
Welcome to LS Saktate. Nice to get a different perspective, from the eyes of the homeowner.

Gravely_Man
12-16-2002, 04:04 PM
It is a very good idea on calling him before the customers do. That was very nice of you to help him out. Just because you lost the list doesn't mean that you shouldn't be paid for the work done. Explain what happened and how badly you feel.

Gravely_Man

Lawn Dog2001
12-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Call him now and explain the situation to him. You are doing him the favor after all. So he should be understanding. If he has 20 lawns, and you only missed 2 lawns. Thats 18 lawns you serviced properly. Cows will fly south for the winter before I cut 18 lawns for free, for any reason.

Just my 2 cents

bob
12-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Definately call him right away. Explain what happened. Chances are that he'll understand. And the 2 customers will also understand. As for payment, you are entitled to the 18 lawns that you cut. Remember, you bailed him out!

kutnkru
12-16-2002, 11:54 PM
Well the bad news as said before - It Happens -LOL!!!

The good news is that to err is human, If it makes you feel any better about the missed clientel heres a brief story for you.

"Got new client. Transposed address. Cut neighbors lawn. New client watched. Wrong address watched too. Everyone laffed in the end. Still mowing new client. Even cut transposed account when they go on vacation during the fall.

The End."

The most important thing at this point is not to leave the LMO in the dark so he can properly address any questions that may arise if they haven't already.

I too would bill for what you are entitled to. If your workmanship is good, and its an honest mistake that you handle professionally, I would call upon your services again if need be.

bobbygedd
12-17-2002, 05:45 PM
call now and explain it the same way u did here. if u dont call he will think u r avoiding him. u still should get paid for the lawns u cut. maybe offer to go over to the ones u missed and cut them since they may be high at this point

Envy Lawn Service
12-17-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
maybe offer to go over to the ones u missed and cut them since they may be high at this point

That's better than my idea if you have the time.

AztlanLC
12-17-2002, 07:51 PM
If for some reason I have an emergency and a friend helps me to mow my properties I would be very thankfull and if he tells me he lost the list and didn't get to two out of 20 I'd say, don't worry and thank you very much for the favor send me the bill as soon as posible (maybe I'd take him to dinner)
Don't feel guilty just tell him what happaned as soon as you can so he can call his customers and expalin to them the situation, get paid for the 18 properties you did.

Lawn Dog2001
12-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by AztlanLC
If for some reason I have an emergency and a friend helps me to mow my properties I would be very thankfull and if he tells me he lost the list and didn't get to two out of 20 I'd say, don't worry and thank you very much for the favor send me the bill as soon as posible (maybe I'd take him to dinner)
Don't feel guilty just tell him what happaned as soon as you can so he can call his customers and expalin to them the situation, get paid for the 18 properties you did.

Yeah. Imagine if you had said " Hey I lost the list, so I decided not to do any of them." You did your best. If he makes that big of a deal out of it, I would think twice about working for him again. let us know how things work out.

TaylorLawn
12-18-2002, 08:16 AM
I called and all is well, as a matter of fact he was looking for my number right around the same time I called to inform him...He said, and I quote..."no big deal, Im sending you a check for the rest, and come over friday for some oysters and beer if you want to".......Thanks for your input.....Eric

bubble boy
12-18-2002, 08:53 AM
oysters?:eek: :D

TaylorLawn
12-18-2002, 02:31 PM
I live on the coast, we have oyster roasts, similar to a clam bake I guess......ET