PDA

View Full Version : New trailer paint....wtf

RedSox4Life
04-13-2012, 05:01 PM
I bought a new dump trailer last June. I went to spray everything underneath today with fluid film.

I know its been showing a little rust here and there, but today I really start looking and I cant believe how much surface rust has already started.

The leaf springs, axles, crossmembers, wherever the dump bin meeta the frame, the ramps (stores underneath the bin), even on the front of the trailer directly behind the rear truck wheels.

And this is after less than a year having it. And really, I would generally only use the thing one day per week, save the fall season when it gets used every day for leaves.

But I couldnt believe it, Im now thinking I should paint it all before spraying the FF. Is it really that hard for trailer manufacturers to use some decent paint?

grandview (2006)
04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Stone chips the paint. Not that big of a deal.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
04-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Use some hammerite on it before you spray it with ff. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

agrostis
04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Man, i sure am glad i don't live in a road salt area.

Dano50
04-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Fluid Film will actually work better on bare metal than on a painted surface. It gives it something to really soak into.

grandview (2006)
04-16-2012, 04:59 PM
What took you so long Dano?

RedSox4Life
04-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Fluid Film will actually work better on bare metal than on a painted surface. It gives it something to really soak into.

Im glad to hear that. This is what I ended up doing. Will be interesting to see what it looks like next year.