PDA

View Full Version : Need drainage ideas

wildstarblazer
04-14-2012, 02:47 PM
This property area gets a lot of water pooling toward the house and around the curve of the driveway. The problem is the land pitches up so there is no way to lead the water downward cause of the driveway.

Any solutions??

Dr.NewEarth
04-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Use a French Drain

GO CANUCKS GO

Smallaxe
04-15-2012, 09:05 AM
So the driveway and the house come together at the downhill side of the slope?

Is there a way to drain away from the driveway and let it runoff to the left of your pix?

Would a culvert under the driveway headed straight at us from the pix work?

French drains that close to the foundation of a house may be problematic... :)

wildstarblazer
04-15-2012, 10:38 AM
No way to go under the driveway. Too wide. I was thinking of a dry creek design to be creative but I may just be opening another can of worms.

Duekster
04-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Where is the foundation? Looks to be below grade too. I assume that white plate is some sort of insect treatment plate?

Is the slope toward that black fence area and you just have some ponding near the house or as others asked does it slop toward where the drive and garage/house meet?

wildstarblazer
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Actually I don't know what that white plate is. Yea the foundation is low.

The water pools at the curve of the driveway and towards the electric pole.

In my opinion the homeowner is a bit over concerned cause the soil is sandy and drains quick, but he still wants to make sure water stays away from the foundation.

He wants to bring in a load of dirt and birm it away from the house but leaving some area between the house brick and the dirt. Not sure how that would fly.

Another idea I had was to dig some dry wells to help the water drain quicker.

Maybe I can figure a way to french drain up and away somehow.

Thanks for responses..

White Gardens
04-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Actually I don't know what that white plate is. Yea the foundation is low.

The water pools at the curve of the driveway and towards the electric pole.

In my opinion the homeowner is a bit over concerned cause the soil is sandy and drains quick, but he still wants to make sure water stays away from the foundation.

He wants to bring in a load of dirt and birm it away from the house but leaving some area between the house brick and the dirt. Not sure how that would fly.

Another idea I had was to dig some dry wells to help the water drain quicker.

Maybe I can figure a way to french drain up and away somehow.

Thanks for responses..

That is my first thought. Just berm it up and slope it away from the house.

Water intrusion wouldn't be an issue against the house as you would be deflecting the water from getting there in the first place, but still, you would need to either seal the bricks, and/or put some sort of backer board against the bricks on the house.

Then you have the matter of re-positioning the spigot for the hose. I'd take it out completely and have a plumber put in a new one one the back-side of the house.

Duekster
04-15-2012, 11:32 AM
The berm is a bad idea since the foundation is so low already and the house does not have gutters or so it appears.

The dry creekbed is a good idea provided you can grade the slope out toward the black fence area to the upper left of the photo.

You could bore under the drive or saw cut and place a channel.

You really need to know the service route of the electrical service.

I would not do a dry well that close to the house without a pump

wildstarblazer
04-15-2012, 07:15 PM
It does have gutters but they don't always catch all the water in a hard rain.
The electric wires are marked. They run under the drive toward the front of the picture so they won't be a problem.

I'll post when and if we come up with a solution.

Duekster
04-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Where is the down spouts? You could add more and run them into drain fields behind the house and go deep. Hard to tell which way things slope.

LindblomRJ
04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
The other solution would be to regrade to remove the low spot and run the slope to the left of the walk.

You could do a french drain then route the outlet to an area to discharge. Or pipe the catch basin to an area safely away from the house to install a dry well.

wildstarblazer
04-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Where is the down spouts? You could add more and run them into drain fields behind the house and go deep. Hard to tell which way things slope.

The downspouts go toward the front of the house but what seems to be happening according to the homeowner is that when it rains, all the run off from the back yard ends up there. So downspouts are only helping for the roof water.

It is hard to tell from the picture just how the yard slopes. It's not a steep drop but enough to cause a problem.. Builders should really grade better when they build to stop these problems. The whole town has these issues.

Duekster
04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
The downspouts go toward the front of the house but what seems to be happening according to the homeowner is that when it rains, all the run off from the back yard ends up there. So downspouts are only helping for the roof water.

It is hard to tell from the picture just how the yard slopes. It's not a steep drop but enough to cause a problem.. Builders should really grade better when they build to stop these problems. The whole town has these issues.

Normally you would see the down spouts on the corners.

I do not know how old the house is but I do not thing the grade on the foundation is code. I would inquire and if not then assist the homeowner.
I have been paid for consulting in this area before but know it before you say it.

Coffeecraver
04-16-2012, 06:13 AM
It would be good to have a view of the entire front of the house
I have some ideas but need more pics.

Stillwater
04-16-2012, 06:46 AM
I dont think the house has a basement so a dry well should be looked into
Posted via Mobile Device

wildstarblazer
04-16-2012, 08:19 PM
It would be good to have a view of the entire front of the house
I have some ideas but need more pics.

I have these if it helps. I can try to take better pics next time I'm there.

Coffeecraver
04-16-2012, 10:49 PM
A French Drain dug across the end of the driveway
Then another to t-bone that
Run the drain past the back of the house
Dig a 6-8ft diameter at the end of the run about 4ft deep
Then fill with large drainage rock up to 3'
Then add geotech fabric topsoil and seed
This should work.
Add gutters to divert roof water to the drain field (the 6-8'diameter drain)

:)

Smallaxe
04-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Better pix... If indeed the slope is coming from the road towards the house and the slope continues to the back of the house,,, then the lawn was contoured around the house incorrectly... the contour of the lawn should channel the water coming down the slope around the house, not into it...

Fix it correctly, and permanently... :)

wildstarblazer
04-17-2012, 07:58 PM
A French Drain dug across the end of the driveway
Then another to t-bone that
Run the drain past the back of the house
Dig a 6-8ft diameter at the end of the run about 4ft deep
Then fill with large drainage rock up to 3'
Then add geotech fabric topsoil and seed
This should work.
Add gutters to divert roof water to the drain field (the 6-8'diameter drain)

Good idea but a lot of work for me.

Coffeecraver
04-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I charge 14.00 a ft for this type of drainage not including stone.
I also dig by hand when possible to cut equipment cost.

The money adds up fast and for me it is worth it

Stillwater
04-17-2012, 11:46 PM
14 a foot ?
Posted via Mobile Device

fmzip
04-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I used this stuff at my house, it works extremely well.

http://www.multi-flow.com/Menu/residential_app.html