PDA

View Full Version : trimming shrubs

Get Some...
04-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I have found that the majority of the work involved in trimming shrubs is the cleanup.

Anyone else use drop cloths or tarps to catch most of the clippings.......then just drag to the next shrub.

Duekster
04-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I have found that the majority of the work involved in trimming shrubs is the cleanup.

Anyone else use drop cloths or tarps to catch most of the clippings.......then just drag to the next shrub.

Good idea if you can get the cloths in there. We rake it out and mulch later in most cases.

VO Landscape Design
04-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Saw somewhere in a Landscaping mag someone made a drop cloth type thing that is circular that fits around the shrub to catch the trimmings but I can't find it now. I use a tarp around the base especially on evergreens. Gets most of it.
VO

BOSS LAWN 2343
04-16-2012, 12:52 AM
I just trim them blow the clippings from the beds and rake onto a large tarp. Into the truck they go.

OakNut
04-16-2012, 01:23 AM
It depends on the job/shrub/surroundings, but yes, in addition to the burlap landscaper tarps, I use canvas drop cloths. The 4'x12' ones from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-12-ft-canvas-dropcloth-38108.html) work well for long stretches and can usually be made to "circle" a shrub depending on size. For less than $6 (after coupon) you can't beat the price.

Coffeecraver
04-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Trim, rake off tops and sides, rake up heavy debris
,put on tarp and load.

If I am going to re-mulch I will not rake up fine clippings I mulch over them.
This adds more organic mater and is better for the plants.
:)

Smallaxe
04-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Trim, rake off tops and sides, rake up heavy debris
,put on tarp and load.

If I am going to re-mulch I will not rake up fine clippings I mulch over them.
This adds more organic mater and is better for the plants.
:)

Reassuring to hear some one say that adding organic matter is better for the plants... :)

charmill26
04-16-2012, 09:49 PM
I have tried using a tarp and in most cases found it easier and faster to not use it and just blow/rake out the clippings. It has its places though

Get Some...
04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
My experiance is that raking/blowing either does not get all the debris or gets alot and removes alot of mulch.