PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a striping kit?

burninbill
12-16-2002, 12:47 PM
I have a 52in. scag walkbehind and was wondering if I really need a striping kit? Here is a pic of an account we have that I believe is striped well and we have no kit. Will the stripe be any better with a kit?

Mykster
12-16-2002, 02:33 PM
Very nice. Do you get that nice of a stripe on all your properties or just that one?

Scraper
12-16-2002, 02:38 PM
Throw a Pro-Slide on that WB and you will be ecstatic. The stripes will be even more defined.

FrankenScagMachines
12-16-2002, 02:41 PM
I don't think it would help you much on that lawn. Never a bad idea though! What kind would you get for it (chain, flap, roller)? A roller, if available, is the best IMO because it acts as an antiscalp roller and works better on weedy yards and all kinds of grass. In my experience, chains and flaps don't do as well on weedy lawns and some types of grass but with the roller the deck's weight is on it to help press it. Once you get a good pattern going they usually work better too. Is that a SW, SWZ or SWZU? If it's a floating deck mower I would say try to make or adapt a roller. Even with a fixed deck mower it might work ok as long as you give it enough clearance for bumps. They also press down mole tunnels usually :D
Good luck, and keep up the good work! That lawn looks nice!
Eric

odin
12-16-2002, 02:57 PM
Those are great stripes but a roller would give them even more definition.

Runner
12-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Quite simply, the answer is no. You do not NEED a stripe kit. While it does helps enhance some lawns, as long as you have the method down of how it's done, (as I see you do, here) you can make great stripes without it. Like your's for example. made by utilizing the same directions on that particular give week. THIS is what makes the majority of the difference. Sure you can make your own, but that would be the only way to go for something like this. Where they really shine, is first cuts, making them look more like established stripes rather than brand new first time stripes. As far as purchasing, I just couldn't see the benefit for someone like you with already decent stripes. Just straighten those babies out, and get rid of the bows, and you'll be doing even better! I have the York striper for my Lazer, and if I was going to do it all over again, I would probably just make a chain dragger, and save me the 200 and whatever bucks. Keep up the good work!;)

rodfather
12-16-2002, 05:28 PM
Looks fine to me...though you might want to straighten a couple of those lines out a little better...especially up near the front of the house.

lawnkid
12-16-2002, 06:05 PM
I agree with Rodfather, straightern those lines up a litlle but otherwise they look just like mine. :D Now who was tht guy that said 52" Scags couldn't stripe and he wanted to sell???? Think again :D

mklawnman
12-16-2002, 11:50 PM
Nope dont need a stripe kit for those Scag WB's, i have the same Scag as you do burninbill, with a two weeled velkie, stripes are incredible just like yours picture, although mine are straighter;)
You can make a stripe kit thats inexpensive, just enhances the look some but from what it looks like those stripes stand out awsome, keep it up.
Matt

burninbill
12-17-2002, 12:31 PM
How about this account, the stripes are little straighter. How do you guys keep um straight when the terrain is not so flat. The first post I sent, yard is quite bumpy and can not seem to straighten them out at the top.

Thanks
Jon

rodfather
12-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GraZZmaZter
12-17-2002, 01:17 PM
Nice looking pics! Dont worry about trying to straighten out your stripes all at once. Typically, only a fellow LCO is going to notice those little boo boo's. Just work at them a little each week, and they will eventually be as straight as an arrow!

mklawnman
12-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Those stripes need to be straighten even more :p j/k j/k he he
WOW those stripes look incredible :cool:
Id say for the first pic of that house, just work at it week by week straightening the lines up, find a fixed point infront of you and as you drive forward stare at it and keep driving to that point, usually if your good at it the line will be straight, if not straighten it out some. Usually homeowners wont know its bent stripe, only the other LCO's around may notice but you are producing some very nice looking stripes, so keep it up.
Matt

grassdaddy
12-17-2002, 05:02 PM
awesome dude !

rodfather
12-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Burninbill...are you using the same Scag 52" WB on both properties?

burninbill
12-17-2002, 06:54 PM
Yes, we have one 52" wb-advantage deck & 2-61" turftigers. Do you think that a striping kit would help the ztr's? I have noticed that it does take a couple of weeks on a new account to get a good stripe out of the riders but the 52" put it down after a double cut(we double cut small properties when we first get them to try and show a big difference after the first visit).

Jon

rodfather
12-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by burninbill
Yes, we have one 52" wb-advantage deck & 2-61" turftigers. Do you think that a striping kit would help the ztr's? I have noticed that it does take a couple of weeks on a new account to get a good stripe out of the riders but the 52" put it down after a double cut(we double cut small properties when we first get them to try and show a big difference after the first visit).

Jon

Nah, save your money. Those stripes will start showing up soon enough.