PDA

View Full Version : My scag won't throw grass far enough

little green guy
08-11-2000, 05:27 PM
I have a 52" scag hyrdo w/ a 18hp koler and latly it leaves like a row of grass next to the deck that ihave to go over the lawn with a blower to spread it out. I just put on a new belt today and tried tightening the belts up, ii can't figure out whats wrong, anybody got any sugjestions?

richard2
08-11-2000, 05:35 PM
might be time to sharpen your blades!!!!

KirbysLawn
08-11-2000, 05:38 PM
Either sharpen the blades or try a different type of blade, Gator, high lift or what ever.

eggy
08-11-2000, 06:51 PM
I have a high lift on my turf tiger and it works great..sometimes throws grass to far in small yards...the gator blades.....what do you guys think of them???

Evan528
08-11-2000, 07:06 PM
i have used the scag 52 and noticed it does exactly what you are talking about. I dont think you can do anything about it.... the deck is just porly designed. The side of the deck behind the discharge chute is curved slightly inward so that the grass is getting caught there and not thrown far. A friend of mine has the scag 48 hydro and also complains about that along with the fact that no matter what blades he used the mower always leaves grass uncut..... sell the mower!

Charles
08-11-2000, 07:07 PM
I have used gator and high lift. NOw just using high lift. The gator cut is just not smooth enough due to the low lift. I will go back to them in the fall and use 2 on a spendle. Now you can use the gator magnums. They have a higher lift. But I can't see paying what they cost. Gators do mulch great when they are new. But soon lose the sharp edges on the teethe and are not quite as effective. Then you have a non lifting mess. I am not happy with the high lifts that much either. Damn things could knock a bird out of a tree with the length of grass thrown. They take power from the mower throwing grass 10 ft.

sunrise
08-11-2000, 07:42 PM
I had a scag that did this and we raised the deck and lowered the blades so the blade are closer to the bottom our grass snail trail was gone

DTM65
08-12-2000, 01:24 PM
Instead of using all high lifts, you may try one high lift on the discharge side. I'm using all high lift blades on a Turf Tiger and have absolutely no problems with "windrows".

I bet by playing with combinations of std. lift and high lift blades, you'll find a solution.

D. Tom

SKDCO
08-13-2000, 12:30 PM
sunrise has the right answer. I have 2 Scag 52" hydros with the decks as high as they go and three 1/4" spacers between the blades and the deck. That gives a cut heighth of approx. 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches and I have never had a problem with "windrow" or trails of uncut grass.I know little green guy does'nt have a problem with uncut grass but Evan528 said he did. Evan528, either sharpen your blades or, maybe increase your overlap but these decks are NOT poorly designed. The deck design that Scag has is an industry leader (I know, just an opinion) and many mfg's have copied it

$0.02

Evan528
08-13-2000, 03:19 PM
skco, I do not own a scag! no way! I have only used them before on several ocations and definitly didnt think they handles tall grass to well. Besides the trail of grass they leave they also clupm quite easily. Yes the blades were sharp. Its just my apinion.... but id never buy one.

little green guy
08-13-2000, 05:41 PM
I think i'll try raiseing the deck and lowering the blades. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so i think i'm gonna work onequipment anyway. I gotta shapen the blades to there pretty bad.

Also got another problem, the mower is balanced pretty bad and whenever i go up a hill or even up the ramp om the trailer the deck lifts way up and it's even almost been verticle before. Do you guys think adding wieght in the front would work and if yes how much do you think? Thanks alot guys.

Scraper
08-14-2000, 02:10 PM
LGG: I had similar problems when it was wet. (I have a 52" Scag hydro with the Advantage deck) Since I have put double blades on each spindle the problem is not even near as bad! Careful you don't hit anything though...I backed over a tree stake that was about 6" off the ground on Friday which jammed the blades together. With a breaker bar, something to jam the blade and a few swift kicks the bolt finally came loose and this was after prying the blades apart. One blade down the toilet! I will keep using the double blades though.

Evan528: Try the new Advantage deck! It cuts down TALL grass awesome! I've gone thru stuff over a foot high with one pass!!! :)

Evan528
08-14-2000, 08:02 PM
I beleave the advantage deck is similar to the design on my z master..... if so i bet it works good. I can cut trhough anyone on the first pass because the deck dosnt get over grounded sending already cut clipping through each blade.

Barkleymut
08-14-2000, 08:38 PM
About 15-25 lbs will be plenty of weight on the front of the deck. Just find some scrap metal and paint it the same color as the mower and bolt it on.

CHC
08-14-2000, 09:26 PM
We have used Scags of various types & sizes for the last 8 years. Three items seem to stand out as important for a good cut: 1. Sharp blades, preferably highlift. 2. Clean deck undersides; usually on a daily basis during the spring gooey season. 3. Appropriate groundspeed for the cutting conditions; the bigger Scags decks seem to need a little more time to clear things out and give you a even discharge.

yardsmith
08-14-2000, 09:45 PM
A number of possible solutions here;
1-try high lift blades/sharpen if needed too!
2-replace your blade spindle pulleys with smaller ones & take up belt slack with idler/tension pulleys, or put shorter belt on it- this will increase spindle/blade RPM ( make sure you keep them greased!, & don't do it if you're still under warranty)
3-lower the blades as mentioned above
4-adjust deck hgt./configuration so that the front of your deck is a tad lower than the back, meaning the front of the blades (when spinning) will hit the grass at a slightly lower hgt. than the backs-this means the blades will cut the grass only once per revolution. If it's level or tilted slightly back, the blade will have to "rub" or even cut the same grass twice. this will lessen the working load on the motor & increase production. We're only talking about 1/8 to 1/4" is needed. I tried it at the advice of dealer, & it improved my ground speed while cutting too, thus increasing production & reducing the load on engine!
Hope these help

[Edited by yardsmith on 08-15-2000 at 04:55 AM]

little green guy
08-14-2000, 11:36 PM
I tried lowering the blades and raising the deck, sharpening the blades and i also set up the doube blades too. I put high lift on the bottom, gators on the top exept for the blade next to the discharge i put another high lift. Didn't get to try it out yet though cause it rained today so i'll see if it works better tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Jim Snyder
08-15-2000, 07:41 AM
I had the same problem on my Snapper 48" hydro. I solved it by raising the deck and lowering the blades. I also put on a set of high lift blades to create more air pressure. They are made by Steins and have a titanium insert for the cutting edge. They stay sharp much longer!!! I then decided to try the 2 blades per spindle and used my other set of the same Steins blade. IT WORKS GREAT! THe only problem is that there is a little too much wind resistence from 2 sets of high lift blades and I feel the RPMs are down a little. I can't complain because the clippings are much smaller and the contrast in the stripe is bolder.

Jim

Eric ELM
08-15-2000, 08:09 AM
2 high lift blades will pull the rpm's down a lot. Try using a regular lift blade or a gator blade as the second blade to help keep the rpm's up a bit.

little green guy
08-15-2000, 08:16 PM
It worked! Tried it today, problem solved. Thanks eric, acually i have regular lift on all the bottom and gators on top exept the end is a high lift. Thanks alot guys, Now just gotta solve the wieght problem when i get time.