PDA

View Full Version : doing a Local lawn care survey

Ground Master
12-16-2002, 05:10 PM
I've always wanted to run a local lawn care survey for the area I live in. I thought about sending out questionaires to every local company that advertises in the phone book. If they mailed back a response ( anonymously, of course ), I'd mail them back the results that were compiled from all respondents.

I'd include basic questions about price structure and fees.

What do you all think? What other questions should I ask?

walker-talker
12-16-2002, 05:16 PM
If I recieved a questionaire from a local lawn company in my area asking what my price structures and fees, it would go straight in the trash and then I would have a good chuckle. Sure I want to know my competitors, but I don't want them to know me. If you really want to know what they charge for different services, have them come and give you an estimate on your own lawns. Your price structure should depend on what YOUR cost are and nothing else. But, I understand where you are coming from.

Good luck
MATT

Ground Master
12-16-2002, 06:02 PM
walker-talker, it would all be done anonmously...............that being said, I understand your position..........

JimLewis
12-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Yah, I am not sure I'd want my competition knowing what I charged. And I bet of those who would turn it back in, a good percentage would lie about what they charge.

Envy Lawn Service
12-16-2002, 09:06 PM
Pick a basic area and purchase a mailing list. Do a direct mail campaign to the home/business owners. That's the best way to find out and get some truth in the matter. I think that's the only way a survey would get much return and truth.

roscioli
12-16-2002, 09:34 PM
collusion????????

walker-talker
12-16-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Pick a basic area and purchase a mailing list. Do a direct mail campaign to the home/business owners. That's the best way to find out and get some truth in the matter. I think that's the only way a survey would get much return and truth.

What he said!

MATT

Ground Master
12-17-2002, 11:02 AM
Collusion?.....now theres an intelligent comment......the dictionary defines collusion as a secret agreement between two or more persons for a deceitful or fraudulent purpose......

Many posts on this website could also be construed as collusion.......if you also believe that a lawn care survey could be.

GroundKprs
12-17-2002, 12:00 PM
Hmmmm... If it's an anonymous survey, how do you know who to mail results to?

Better to talk directly to peers at local or regional meetings, if they wish to share pricing. Or read trade mags; they do national surveys every few years, and break results down by general geographic areas.

roscioli
12-19-2002, 03:05 PM
Collusion would be setting prices in COLLUSION with other local companies. You cannot get together and decide to raise prices, its considered similar to a monopoly. I was simply raising the question that this might be considered collusion by the powers that be.