PDA

View Full Version : First ZTR

turfproinc
12-16-2002, 06:45 PM
I'm getting a ztr as my main mower. What is a good size and make for a first-time owner? I'd like something that would be good on an acre or less residential as my primary clients fall in that category. I also want a make that I have a chance of maintaining without having to take a shop course. Any thoughts?

rkbrown
12-16-2002, 06:53 PM
If I were going to buy one this year (which I am not), would have to look pretty hard at the 52". Particularly the exmark hp. Lots of good reviews from this site. The 52 seems very versitile...able to get into tight areas.

wriken
12-16-2002, 06:59 PM
I'd go with the 52" to 60", you might have more deck hanging out on a 60" making for less trimming. Lots of good machines out there, demo as many as you can. I have a 60" ztr and I can almost put that in the same places as my 48" w/b

Envy Lawn Service
12-16-2002, 09:11 PM
ZTR's with less than a 52" deck have very little to no trim side, meaning the outside rear track with is as wide as the deck.

eXmark Lazer Z HP's are nice machines.

I say buy all the deck you can afford up to say 60"

longviewlawncare
12-16-2002, 09:55 PM
i bought a 54" and right away wish i would have gotten the 60 b/c of deck overhang. sometimes b/c i have t trun tighter around tree it tends to tear the turf more. get the 60 if it will fit on your properties and you will not be dissapointed

Envy Lawn Service
12-16-2002, 10:17 PM
I noticed that on the new Deeres when I finally got to see some. I understand they try to keep them as wide back there as possible. But dang!

This is where I commend Hustler & Lesco. They are the only companies to publish rear track width as a spec. It's nice to be able to check the literature to refresh your mind or be able to get an idea about trim on units that were not in stock.

mklawnman
12-16-2002, 11:45 PM
Does this new ZTR have to be a rider?? Because if your looking for something that can fit in small backyards but also do some fairly large lawns you could look at a 48inch or 52inch WB with say a velkie.
Otherwise if you are in the market for a rider look at a 52inch or if you are daring enough to take on bigger accounts look at a 61inch. I have a 52inch Turf Tiger, its a bit more pricey than the smaller 52inch or 48inch Tiger Cub which ive heard has good reviews on.
Good Luck with your choice
Matt

syncom2
12-16-2002, 11:55 PM
If it'd not be too far of a drive to your dealer, I'd strongly suggest you give the Super Mini Hustler a good once over… or two. It has that narrower wheelbase to give you that trimability that you need with a 52" deck, which I'd think would be more of what would better suit your needs as far as deck size goes. They, too, like Exmark, are sponsor's for LawnSite. Exmark products will keep you grinnin' down the mown' path as well… so pick your swath and see what gives.
mb

Richard Martin
12-17-2002, 06:19 AM
In regards to deck trimming abilities Dixie Chopper has the X-2303-60. It's the 60" deck on the 50" frame and it has a ton of trimming overhang.

IBGreen
12-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Hey turf I know of a good mower for you, e-mail me!

CMLLawnServices
12-17-2002, 07:20 PM
If u do alot of residental accounts, a 60 inch mite be abit too big, my first one was a 48" and it worked good for what little residental accounts i had, I`ve gone all commercal accounts now