PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander

jhawk71
12-16-2002, 10:24 PM
I have a question about the wright standers. I was looking at a 36" because thats what i would do the back yards with because almost every customer were I live has a gate. Also the backs arent small! I have heard the productivity on the standers are better than walkbehiinds. Well if i were to buy one i would get it now 20% off!!! But is it really worth the 4000 dollars? Thanx

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
12-16-2002, 10:27 PM
I too am looking at that mower for the same reason.I recomend demoing both,thats what im going to do

grassdaddy
12-16-2002, 10:34 PM
i rode one at the nashville show,i'd rather use a w/b on small lawns i don't think in the 36ers it would be any faster.:cool:

jhawk71
12-16-2002, 10:39 PM
Also i forgat to mention that i was also debating a 48" stander. If i got a 36" i would sell my walkbehind. If i got the 48" i would keep the 36" because of the gate problem. But most of the fronts are small and have little islands in the middle. So i would think it would be easier to manuever a 36" than a 48". But i would probally use the 36" more because like i said i have alot of small front yards.
Thanks
Jhawk71

Shady Brook
12-17-2002, 10:22 AM
Have you considered a Gatemaster, or a Gateway? They will go where the 36 does, and fold down to be a 52. You can have a bigger mower for both front and back, making it faster all the way around. Sounds ideal for your situation.

Jay

captdevo
12-17-2002, 10:39 AM
demo a Great Dane Super Surfer and the Gateway you'll be impressed!!

they offer john deere finance

easy deck height adjustment

20% off should be easy to get from most dealers

hmmmmm......did wright up the prices before offering 20% off????

is this left over stock?

or are they feeling the Great Dane Bite...........

Wright Mfg
12-17-2002, 04:45 PM
No Capt......we're simply offering an extra incentive/discount to buy early. Not to blow out inventory or to play price games but to spread out the buying season which has many advantages in manufacturing a seasonal product.

Certainly demo the GD but be sure to take the Surfer across some hills and test turning ability on flat ground, then compare it to a Stander.

If you demo the Gateway, watch for scalping and hang ups due to the deck being locked down and overhanging past the drive wheels a lot. Also consider the price and what flat back yards you have that are big but have small gates.

JV

cnflawn
12-17-2002, 07:28 PM
20% off should be easy to get from most dealers

:confused: :confused:

how do you figure 20 percent should be easy to get ???

jerald

Flex-Deck
12-17-2002, 10:12 PM
Seems this thread started out about Wright Standers, which by the way the Flex-Deck would work well on, but it got to be a gateway and gatemaster deal, so I guess I need to put in my 2 cents worth about the Flex-Deck on a 36" eXmark -(will fit most WB's) - We only add 2" when folded up, and our deck floats with the terrain to contour mow, and being on the front corner, it can be slide directly sideways between narrow objects -http://36X

Flex-Deck
12-17-2002, 10:14 PM
Mowing unlevel terrainhttp://36X

jhawk71
12-17-2002, 10:18 PM
i thought about a flex deck but it doesnt seem like they will strip nice. Any one know? Got any pics?
jhawk71

Flex-Deck
12-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Jhawk - this pic is on a yard that has some weeds in it, and is no maintainance (neighbor) and I was just trying the mower after I mounted the Flex-Deck, and I guess it shows that both the main deck and flex-deck mow the same - don't think you can tell where one starts and the other stops.

LGF posted a pic a while back of his 52" exmark with a Flex-Deck on it and it showed a nice stripeing patternhttp://36X

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 02:11 AM
The Gateway is $5,899 here. I think that's just too much.

Doc Pete
12-18-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
We only add 2" when folded up, and our deck floats with the terrain to contour mow, and being on the front corner, it can be slide directly sideways between narrow objects -http://36X

Ouch...... I didn't know that.......So, actually, for those truly 36" gates, the Flexdeck and a 36" machine "will not" fit through the opening. Thanks for letting us know.

Grass Master
12-18-2002, 09:52 PM
The Great Dane units are much better than the Wright's. I have been using them for years even back to the old Surfers. Now, with John Deere behind them, Great Dane is really moving forward with even better products. (Demo the new riders, they are awesome!

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 10:24 PM
I posted this before and tought I would post it again incase you didn't see it. You can see the Surfers in action on a video at Great Dane's web-site.

Also Wright Mfg has been in contact with me and very helpful reguarding their products. I believe they both deserve the demo. In closing I'll say Wright is very, very confident in their product versus the Great Dane.

It's time for a Mower shootout!!! :blob3: :blob1: :blob4:

Flex-Deck
12-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Switchless-You may want to look at the pic again - as you see, the flex-deck is forward on the front corner, therefore approach the gate at a slight angle, put the flex-deck thru first then the main mower - we can get thru 36" gates, but thanks for the observation and the information.

Brad

Doc Pete
12-18-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
Switchless-You may want to look at the pic again - as you see, the flex-deck is forward on the front corner, therefore approach the gate at a slight angle, put the flex-deck thru first then the main mower - we can get thru 36" gates, but thanks for the observation and the information.Brad
No problem Brad. I was just taking what you said at face value, which was that it added 2" to the width of the machine. If it's out in front in the machine, and not actually adding width to the side of the machine, than it's not even worth mentioning.
thanks,
Pete

cnflawn
12-20-2002, 07:15 AM
hey capt devo with rpm sales

what gives ??
enlighten us on how we should be able to get 20 % discount at most dealers.
is that just for great dane or all manufactuers.

jerald

captdevo
12-20-2002, 07:29 AM
it's easy, this time of year especially.....

most dealers....like myself don't pay the bills from the showroom floor, but from the service department.

if i could get 'suggested msrp' from my machines, that would be great, but it just doesn't happen.

kinda like buying a car, the customer is gonna price shop.

i guess it mainly depends on you, the consumer, on the deal you get.

most of my repeat customers wait till this time of year to trade in because they know they'll save over 25% with fall closeouts and spring booking.

cnflawn
12-20-2002, 07:38 AM
:confused: :confused:
im confused
if you dont make money on the showroom why have it?
if you only make money in the shop why market your sales department on the net ?
the sales margin in this industry ( outdoor power equipment ) is 20 - 25 % on wholegoods. i cant imagine just breaking even on my services or products. if youre just making money in the shop and losing money on the sales side do your shop customers get tired of paying for you to own a showroom ? you mention car dealerships. all departments in a dealership provide a profit to the store. ive never heard of an entire department being treated as a loss leader. if you can get your shop customers to support your hobby of selling equipment more power to you but it doesnt seem fair to me.

jerald

captdevo
12-20-2002, 08:14 AM
i never said 'loose money' on the showroom!!

the showroom is not the main profit maker.

it is the service dept.........

when it comes to trade-ins, then you're usually able to make a little more profit on new sales, after you move the trade in.

i know when i buy cars or trucks, i pay only hundreds above invoice....most car dealerships rely on volume of sales, not mark up.

my sales advertising on the net offers me the 'Wal-Mart technique' if you will.....make a little bit.......alot of times.

if you can get your shop customers to support your hobby of selling equipment more power to you but it doesnt seem fair to me.

you lost me on this one......

btw.....your sales margins are a little low.....i rely on volume.

the main reason i have a dealership is....i save money on purchases equipment for my service part of the company.

i operate another company Riverside Property Maintenance, we offer complete property maintenance....janitorial services, janitorial supplies, and exterior grounds maintenance.

Roger
12-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Jhawk71: I've had the same question about productivity of a stand-on mower. I too have a 36" w/b (EX hydro), am concerned about the gated back yards, and see other properties where a larger (faster?) mower would help.

In reading all the responses here, I don't think anybody has given any insight into the original question: productivity. Usually these threads are long on the merits of one machine over another, but rarely do I learn about productivty comparisons.

I'm up in years and the walking takes its toll. I have a single-wheeled Velke, but use it sparingly because I don't like the single mark down the middle of the stripe -- therefore I walk. If a stand-on mower (Wright or GD) would improve my productivty, and save me walking, I might consider it. But, no productity gain makes the $$$ too much.

Roger

Doc Pete
12-20-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Roger
I have a single-wheeled Velke, but use it sparingly because I don't like the single mark down the middle of the stripe -- therefore I walk. Roger

The bull rider duel wheel velky is wide enough to run in the same tracks as your mower, and doesn't leave marks. It's also changable from castored to fixed mode by changing a special spacer in just 5 seconds. Either way it works well.
Pete

lawncare3
12-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Can I get 20% off a flexdeck? :D

Flex-Deck
12-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Lawncare - you bet - price this winter - $1099 - shipping included

Thanks, Brad

captdevo
12-21-2002, 07:12 AM
Brad....you're easy!!!
:D