PDA

View Full Version : Just showing off my new side gate!!

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 12:06 AM
Here's pic 1 of 2.

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 12:08 AM
And here's the second one!

Soupy
12-17-2002, 12:13 AM
walker-talker, That's a nice looking gate.

Looks like you might have your Trimmer Trap mounted backwards?

Soupy

TLS
12-17-2002, 12:14 AM
Why doesn't it latch straight 90 degrees? Looks like its leaning out to the side. Look at the latching for most other regular gates, and make it that way. Like a rod inside a pipe. IF its leaning, it will eventually wear and possibly fall down while driving (NOT good). Just a quick observation.

And one other thing. Is that a Trimmer Trap? Don't you have it mounted backwards? Round hand latch should be on the engine side of the trimmer. So that part of the Trimmer Trap should be mounted on the Drivers side (Street Side) of the front of your trailer.

If it isn't a TrimmerTrap, then nevermind.

TLS
12-17-2002, 12:17 AM
We posted at the same time!

The TrimmerTrap mounts look to be TOO close together. I'd seperate them a bit more if I were you.

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 12:49 AM
They are trimmer traps. They are mounted rather close together. The one that you see on the left could of been moved a few inches over, but there is a bracket underneath the trailer holding the wiring, then a over a little furthur is the emergency brake-away controller (also I don't have to reach as far over the tongue to take the trimmers off). They are monted so that I can pull off the trimmers from the outside of the trailer.

As far as the gate leaning a little bit and your suggestion about coping it from the main gate, I did that exactly. I was not sure why the main gate sloped a little bit, but I went ahead and copied it. Look at the pic.

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 12:51 AM
trimmer traps

Wesley's Lawn
12-17-2002, 12:58 AM
Nice looking setup, lol your garage looks just like mine a mess.:blush:

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 01:05 AM
Thanks, but you should see to the right of those trimmer traps.....it's super messy. Not really messy, but just have all my mowers jam-packed together. Tomorrow I plan on getting that trailer out of there so that I can clean up a bit.

MATT

Wesley's Lawn
12-17-2002, 01:08 AM
Lol yeah i know what u mean, im trying to get all my stuff organized and put away before it snows,:blob2: If it wasnt for my 12x20 shead i dont know what i would do. :D

lahanko
12-17-2002, 04:58 AM
Did you brace up the trailer frame?
I believe with this type of trailer, the railing around the bed of the trailer is where all the strength and rigidity comes from.
Pretty good size piece is gone now?

Tony Harrell
12-17-2002, 05:11 AM
Looks like your mesh is running top to bottom instead of side to side. If so, you're gonna bust your you know what getting a mower up that and walking on it when it's wet.

TLS
12-17-2002, 09:43 AM
With the TrimmerTraps!!!

OMG!!! :eek:
How do you get the trimmer out?

The way it looks now, you must lift knob (why its up without spring pressure I don't know?), grab trimmer head, slide trimmer towards other tower, push trimmer in towards trailer, lift trimmer engine and snake out of the other TT towers "J" hooks. Almost impossible with more than one trimmer!

All you need to do it REVERSE your TT towers. And keep the trimmers engine on the DRIVERS side. Spread the towers out a bit as the way you have it, you'll likely bend a trimmer shaft.

The instructions for the TT were VERY clear in how it must be installed. You'll be amazed at how easy they are when theyr'e installed correctly.

I'm not bashing you, but there's no possible way you can be happy with the product the way you have it installed.

Good Luck!

stslawncare
12-17-2002, 10:58 AM
looks good, i take it you did all the work yourself? how long did it take? how much of the green stuff??? also when u clean ur garage can we see a pic? its always interesting seeing shops and that good stuff

SDlawndawg
12-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Nice gate. Tony is right about the mesh. She's gonna be slipperry.

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 12:33 PM
First off, the trailer was designed so that the railing does give any support to the trailer. All 3 side are removable. As fas as the mesh being on wrong, you are probably correct, I didn't even think about that. The expanded metal comes in 4X8 sheets, with the mesh running length ways. I wanted to add a few extra inches to the length of the gate and that is why I turned the mesh the other way. I will see how it goes like it is before any changes will be made. As far as the TT's goes, you are correct that they are a bit close together, but they are the same distance apart as they were on my last trailer and I did not have any problems getting them off. I bought them used, so there were no mounting instructions as to how to mount. When I take the trimmer off I 1) lift the engine with left hand 2) slide trimmer to the left 3) lift engine up to work the other end out of the "J" hook.
Believe me, it works.

But, I went out and looked to see what would happen if I reversed them and you are absolutely correct, they are backwards and they are easier to get off and on they way you said. Thanks for the advise. I could get by with leaving it like it is, but I want it done right, so back to the drawing board.

stslawncare, I did do the work myself. I got a cheap Chiago Electric mig welder from Harbor Freights for $200, but you can catch them on sale from time-to-time for $159. I have about $85 in materials in the gate. It probably took about a week from start to finish. I would do a little welding and do some painting (which would take 24 hours to dry.), then some more welding and some more painting. To just build the gate and attatch it to the trailer probably would of only taken 12 hours or so, maybe less.

Thanks
MATT

PR0 TURF
12-17-2002, 02:19 PM
??????????????????

Inquiring minds want to know

What exactly is the advantage of a side gate like that. We ran the same kind of set up with 2 walkers & an 18ft open trailer this season...we're going to a 24ft enclosed for 2003. What advantage does the gate give you? If you were to take only one mower off why not just take the one off closest to the back gate? Ive seen these gates around locally...but just never knew the real advantage.

?????????????????? :blob4:

Jimbo
12-17-2002, 02:21 PM
I was thinking about building a side gate as well, but I keep wondering if I will have proper access to unload with the side gate. I know the customer wont want me putting the gate down in their yard (curb side). Thats alot of weight on the lawn with the gate corners pushing in. I still might make one in hopes I can unload on solid ground. This would come in handy by saving trailer space and allowing me to unload the WB without first unloading the ZTR.

I dont think I would like the gate up that high though. I will proabably make the gate hinge (collapsable), so that it is only half as high. I would just have to purchase some extra hinges and one more length of angle iron.

Looks pretty good. Great observation about the mesh...you might want to fix that.

Jim

Jimbo
12-17-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro turf- I think I answered your question (without knowing it).

Jim

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 03:40 PM
Jimbo did answer correctly. I recently purchased a TTHP 36". A side gate will benefit me two ways. 1) save time not having to unload the Walker to get the the WB and 2) save on engine wear having to do that (start and re-starting the Walker). One thing I learned is don't trying loading the WB going forward....lol Before you know it your wrist are on the ground and you think the mower is coming over. You need to back onto the trailer and drive off forward, no big deal. There was some slipping of the tires when loading, but not enough to worry about now. Once it gets wet I can see where this might be a problem. I sure wish I would of caught that before, but it just never crossed my mind. The next few things for the trailer will be 1) a large cage made out of angle and expanded metal, for gas cans, tool box and other stuff 2) a back-pack blower rack and 3) a water cooler rack. I will more than likely mount 2 and 3 onto the side of the cage somewhere. If anyone has pics, I would like to see their set. Oh yeah, and some kind of tool rack for brooms, shovels, rakes.....etc.

If there is any advise on these 3 things BEFORE I build them, I would appreciate it. Some of the things I am considering about the cage is where to mount, at the head of the trailer or on the driver side? I know to build it high enough so that the decks will be able to go underneath. Should it open from the top or side?

Thanks for all the input
MATT

Ryan Lightning
12-17-2002, 04:08 PM
For the doors on the cage, Id have them slide instead of swing open, that way if there a ton of junk in the trailer, you could still open it. And I would have a small area open from the top for small stuff, that you could grab really fast.

wriken
12-17-2002, 05:17 PM
How long and wide did you make the ramp? Did you use 2" angle and 3/16's thick, I'm going to put one on my 20' trailer, I built one for the rear of my single axle trailer last year. It was a tilt trailer, welded it so it will not tilt.

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by wriken
How long and wide did you make the ramp? Did you use 2" angle and 3/16's thick, I'm going to put one on my 20' trailer, I built one for the rear of my single axle trailer last year. It was a tilt trailer, welded it so it will not tilt.

45" wide and 52" long. I did use 3/16" X 2" angle.

Good luck
MATT

Tony Harrell
12-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Don't feel too bad. I bought a trailer with a side gate and it was/is the same as yours. I had the numbnutz that built it extend the rear and change it to the right direction. Then we had a falling out before he could fix the side gate (actually, he was about to fall out but I regained my supreme composure because I realized it's hard to cut grass from jail). If I fix it, it will probably cost a bunch. I was thinking of trying some of that spray in bedliner stuff to add some traction. On a side note, he charged me sales tax too, around $80. I found out that our "use tax" from DMV takes care of the tax issue. I had to call him from the revenue office to get him to pay it back. Soon as he heard the word "auditor" the contest was over and a check was delivered to my mailbox that day. I've made a whole host of changes that are readily apparent and I always wave when I drive by!

Jimbo
01-02-2003, 10:39 AM
I have decided to purchase the metal and make my side gate in the next two months. The areas I am going to work on are keeping the gate out of my rear view by making it fold in half.
The gate will be made so that it raises completely vertical (or within a few degrees of vertical).
The lock pin will extend off the side railing, and will pierce a metal plate located on both the upper and lower ramp to secure both pieces in one maneuver

I will post photos when competed.

Jim

P.S. I hope I dont forget to raise it when I am finished. That could be a whole lot worse than leaving down the rear gate. I shouldnt have said that!! I am having second thoughts now.

Flex-Deck
01-02-2003, 05:36 PM
TLS - the gate leaning backwards like it is will do less wear, as the air flow and gravity will keep the hookup pins tight. Stand a gate up 90 degrees will allow movement back and forth and thus wear.

Thanks, Brad

PS. Nice settup

1grnlwn
01-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Hey a couple of things I know a little about. Dirty garage and side gates. Problem with running exp met (right way) is limitation of 4' in length. "How I did mine." Not long enough, will lengthen this year. Problem is having seam unsupported. My 2x3 angle for bottom will solve this. My big problem was I measured once built twice. Yea it's too small for 48" WB, what a dumb ***. 42' dixon fits but is hard to unload because of short ramp. I wonder if you could insert a 1/2" rod in expanded slots and twist to raise tread in direction for grip. I bought pre-twisted. and installed (right way) even though I must rebuild. My 20' has tube frame back to wheels. Although when I made cut in rail, the rail was attached to heavy 3x2x 5/16" angle which is welded directly to side of tube frame on wheel end. Where rails meet ramp on sides, I put angle cross piece in ramp to distribute compressive load from rail to rail. Then I welded close to zero clerance pads in between rails and gate. It does move because when heavily loaded on front of trailer the gate is real hard to open. I like the idea of bedliner material that might work. Don't forget springs(this winter proj also) Mine is real heavy and inconvient since back gates have been sprung for 5 years now. As far as garage goes look for yourself.

Jimbo
01-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Flex-Deck/ TLS,

Simple solution with a vertical gate is to cut a piece of soft rubber hose or foam to fit over the lock pin. This will eliminate wear and rattling. I already do it on my rear gate and will do the same on the side gate once comleted.

coalburner
01-08-2003, 02:53 AM
1grnlwn

Looks like my shop.

lawncare3
01-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Walker talker,
I think your side gate looks great and don't worry about the trimmer trap, I'm gonna make my own with some 2x4's and hooks. As long as it works that's what counts.;)

turfman59
01-08-2003, 05:31 PM
are those gas can DOT approved ? if not you cant mount them on a trailer, so says the weight master in my state.

Lohr Equipment & Wel
01-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Just a small note of information on the expanded metal,correct size for most landscape trailers is 3/4 #9 raised expanded also it is important to know that those sheets are directional.To get the sheet on in the right direction for travel,lay it on the floor and drag your feet against it in both direction and you will feel the difference in resistance and than put it on accordingly.

Lohr Equipment & Wel
01-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Just so you don't think I'm an idiot when you are dragging your feet on the metal I only ment drag against the grain in both dirrection.

walker-talker
01-08-2003, 08:23 PM
lawncare3, I got my trimer traps mounted correctly now. As far as the expanded metal goes, I havent hand any problems with the way i ran it so far, but if I do, I have some extra I can lay over teh top and tack weld it to the existing layer. This would be easier than taking the old off, plus it would be stronger.

MATT

thfireman
05-06-2003, 03:27 PM
I also have a MIG welder, but I only make light duty products. I would be afraid that my weld would not hold on a large gate like that. So far I have only made a trimmer line reel holder and a water cooler holder as well as some small repairs to the gate and trailer.

My next project is a tongue mounted gas can holder/cage and a trimmer trap for my mower so I can save a trip back to the truck when I am on the back 40! :D

Nice job on the gate!

walker-talker
05-06-2003, 03:33 PM
My mig welder is small and I don't consider myself an expert by no means, but the gate is holding up well. I made 3 passes on each weld to provide a good "bite".

MATT

ULTIMATE LAWN
05-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Side gate with EZ Gate attached.

All my trailers have a front side gate for WB access. Indispensible.