PDA

View Full Version : adding milorganite to lawn care program

mac43rn
12-17-2002, 12:40 AM
I am going to add milorganite to my lawn program, but I am going to experiment with my own lawn. I am going to stick with a four step program and then add the milorganite to add some organic matter. It looks like it would be a great addition in the summer months (I have an irrigation system). Can anyone who has had experience with milorganite give me any suggestions on when to apply. I do not want to go 100% organic, but would like to add some organic to the program. Any suggesitons would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

mowing king
12-17-2002, 08:16 PM
I have found it works well as an early spring app. at the 20lbs. per k rate. you can cut your spring and early summer rate of fert waydown.
it really won't do much in the summer, you'll see the results in the fall. you can do the app in august without burning and the lawns greens-up nice wiht the fall rains.

A nice summer app is seaweed. you can really see the improvement. one app b4 7-4 and one app 8-15. we have used it for years.

Harmony has gran products with seaweed and other goodies for summer apps.

Green Pastures
12-18-2002, 11:03 AM
What is it and what is it good for.

Ric
12-18-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Green Pastures
What is it and what is it good for.

Milwaukee Wi. Is known for many things. Beer being the most well known. Polish Immigrates being another. Milwaukee has always been a progressive town. Near the turn of the century they recycled by burned their garbage and sent steam heat thru pipes to heat homes. To this day they still recycle. Only they recycle their sewage. Mil (Milwaukee) organite (organic) Fertilizer. Or to its friends good old Pole-Lock PooP. Great stuff for horticulture, DON'T use it in your garden. You won't like the taste of your tomatoes.

gkell88
12-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Handling the bulk of Milorganite can be a pain. Be careful incorporating too many apps in your business. It takes a lot of room in the truck to do a day of Milorg. apps

A strong back wont hurt either.;)

fblandscape
12-19-2002, 12:41 PM
Any natural organic fertilizer will involve a lot more material being applied as the most N content you can really hope for is about 12:?:? There are however some "spiked" fertilizers which are natural organics which have synthetic organics, or salts put in there so that you don't have to put down as much.

morturf
12-19-2002, 06:34 PM
We have used Milorganite for over 50 yrs. It is without a doubt the best fertilizer there is. It has drawbacks, bulk being the worst. I have used over 100 tons a year for the last 25 yrs. I would say that while it time consuming and labor intensive it will reward you with grass like none you have ever seen. Good luck with your decision.
mike

mac43rn
12-19-2002, 08:56 PM
sent you an email.

thanks

Tony Harrell
12-20-2002, 05:46 AM
Are there any side effects of using this such as fungus?

devildog
12-20-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by fblandscape
...........There are however some "spiked" fertilizers which are natural organics which have synthetic organics, or salts put in.........

Would you elaborate on the synthetic & salts please, thank you. With Regards.... devildog

Gene $immons
12-27-2002, 08:25 AM
I used milorganite on my own lawn last year, as a test to see what it would do. My lawn was SO green, everyone had to ask about it. It looked excellent.

mac43rn
12-27-2002, 08:45 AM
did you add it to a synthetic program or did you only use milorganite? How much did you apply?

thanks

nelbuts
12-29-2002, 10:31 PM
I use it on turf in spring down here. It has a lot of iron which promotes green. Also, will promote rapid growth of turf. It is fantastic for starting landscaping and annuals. The only down side I see is the flash growth that could happen in summer. Down here some of our grasses grow about 6" a week. It is always wet as it rains about an inch daily from mid June till mid October. You don't want to put anything down here that promotes alot of growth. Some shrubs need pruned weekly so we are careful with them.

fblandscape
12-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Natural organic fertilizers are derived from things that were once living... seaweed, kelp, soy, feather meal, blood meal, etc. These things have very low N contect as compared to Synthetic organics which are not derived from once living things. Synthetic organics are things like SCU, MU, IBDU, PCU, etc. They are basically WIN which are not derived from once living things. Salts are forms of elements which are readily available once applied. These are compounds such as DAP, and urea. Even though urea is a Natural organic, it functions like a salt, so therefore it is a salt.

By spiking Nat Org fertilizers with Salts and Synthetic Organics, you are decreasing the amount of material you have to apply, because you are increasing the N content of the fertilizer. It still gives you the benefits of Nat Orgs, but with the additional benefit of having less material to apply. If you see a Nat Org fertilizer advertising any more N content than 12% it is spiked. 12% is a high ratio for Nat Orgs. I know that that number is derived from some soy product and is rather costly.

KenH
01-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Have any of your customers ever complained about the odor?? I have heard it also works as a deer repellant.

dougaustreim
01-01-2003, 12:06 PM
There is definately an odor that is sensed by wildlife. While it may repel deer, it also can be an attractant. We had to quite using it on some golf greens some years ago, because the raccoons would dig up the greens trying to find the source of the odor.

Doug Austreim
Austreim Landscaping