PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if I actually get a Yard of Mulch?

scottf624
04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I am in OHIO and the large chain of MULCH stores, which I'm not going to name, seems as though their bucket is a lot smaller than some of the other guys we buy mulch from. Last year it wasn't a problem, we brought the bucket size up to the manager and he helped us out. I got the manager a new job working somewhere else making 2x the money this large chain was paying him and the new manager isn't a very friendly guy. He insists that his bucket is a yard. Do others of you run into this same issue?

knox gsl
04-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Bucket capacity is often stamped on the back of them. If nothing else get a tape measure and figure it out.

grandview (2006)
04-17-2012, 09:31 PM
I have one place where the guy shakes the bucket till it even. Another place i ask for 3 yrds and gives 6 ,of course I'll never tell him its to much!

Stillwater
04-18-2012, 08:05 AM
This is super easy next time your their jump out of your truck with a tape and measure the inside of the bucket, you will find his bucket he calles a yard to measure 3x3x3 feet.
Posted via Mobile Device

metro36
04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
I had one place where I brought that up. He was using a 3/4 yard bucket and calling it a full yard. Once I said something, he just started heaping it. Then I gave him a tip and started getting an extra bucket full.

I now buy from a different mulch place where I pay for 5 and get about 8. Im not complaining about that though. :)

silverado212
04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Most suppliers I have found around Cincinnati use 2/3 to 3/4 yd buckets. There are a few who use yard buckets. Most have been good about stating what size bucket they use. I can only think of one chain supplier here. We don't use them for reasons of bad experience.

Greenery
04-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Measure your truck bed to determine how much it holds leveled off. That should give you a good idea on how much you're getting when you visually look at how much they put in.
Posted via Mobile Device

calvinslawnservices
04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
I measured my trailer and put marks on the inside for a yard and 2 yards. That's all my trailer holds, so its a little easier to figure out. Going to one or two suppliers for everything also helps and knowing who heaps and who shakes the bucket.

Coffeecraver
04-19-2012, 10:42 PM
This is super easy next time your their jump out of your truck with a tape and measure the inside of the bucket, you will find his bucket he calles a yard to measure 3x3x3 feet.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree when in doubt ! Pull the tape out!

:)

OmegaRed
04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Or call weights and measures...it's no difference than gas meters or a cord of firewood.

quadsport09
05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Just measure it then you know for sure and you dont have to doubt that youre losing money.

Smallaxe
05-05-2012, 08:51 AM
I am in OHIO and the large chain of MULCH stores, which I'm not going to name, ...

That's the problem with this 'victim mentality" culture... everybody whines and complains, but NO ONE is brave enough to name, NAMES and hold the jerks accountable... !!

Orrdc
05-06-2012, 01:31 AM
That's the problem with this 'victim mentality" culture... everybody whines and complains, but NO ONE is brave enough to name, NAMES and hold the jerks accountable... !!

I hope this is a joke :hammerhead: