PDA

View Full Version : How many people on this site are under 18?

Wesley's Lawn
12-17-2002, 12:54 AM
I was just woundering how many people on this site are under the age of 18. Im 17 and been doing this for 5 years, For the people who are how many of you deal with people thinking your out of your mind when u ask for profesional prices and just cause you are younger they think you dont know squat.

wilawns
12-17-2002, 02:35 AM
i was under 18 till this last august but i know exactly what your talking about... people dont really like to hear that your makeing more than they are an hour.

vipermanz
12-17-2002, 05:05 AM
i'm 17, i have had the problem with the "young so your stupid" type situation's before, I was trying to get an account with a man and he seemed to let age be a factor in the deal, so i ended up doing his neighbor's property and he casually strolled over nextdoor about a month later while i was working and asked if i would do his once "his mower broke;) " , Oddly enough he has been a customer for about 4 months now.:)

stslawncare
12-17-2002, 09:01 AM
i to am 17, been doing this for quite a few years. do a search, there was recently a thread with a poll that showed everyones age, there are also many threads that talk about being under 18 and being in this field

mklawnman
12-17-2002, 09:54 AM
Im 19 was that young just a few years ago in high school, now out mowing and going to school. Their are alot of young people on this site who actually know their stuff about the lawn care field but just like me at this age, we are all still in the learning process. :D
But i guess at every age your learning something so :rolleyes:
Matt

Scraper
12-17-2002, 10:01 AM
By looking at some of the questions and responses lately, I would say, more than you think.

odin
12-17-2002, 10:15 AM
I have a 19 year old nephew in our business. Im proud of him he sure has a passion for this business.He's going to school to learn turf management .He's been working with us since he was 13.

FrankenScagMachines
12-17-2002, 10:29 AM
I'm 15 and have been dabbling in it some but going to get serious next year, am buying a business with a 2000 EXmark 48" TTHP, sulky and mulch kit, I'm going to make a bagger and I'm supposed to be getting a 38" John Deere w/b with sulky and mulch kit too soon. I have all the 2 cycle stuff already, Stihl FS80 trimmer, Kawasaki KRB400A BP blower, Echo HCR1500 hedge trimmers, Echo SRM2400SB split boom unit with hedge trimmer head. Have a LawnBoy already as well.
I'm curious what you do with the van Wesley, I could get one for next to nothing from my parents who no longer need it. What is it good for vs. a pickup?
Thanks,
Eric

stslawncare
12-17-2002, 11:05 AM
bushhogboy vans can act like a enclosed trailer but better in some situations!!! also wesley just curious how you got yuour hands on all that good equipment, by no means could i afford a big van like that, especially in addition to a truck and all that other equipment you have

Randy Scott
12-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Mentally or physically?

Going to be a big differrence in totals if you factor in that. Ecspecially if you base it off some of the replies posted by "alleged mature businessmen". :rolleyes:

FrankenScagMachines
12-17-2002, 11:41 AM
ROFLMAO Randy! LOL....
"please join in the hot topics at lawnsite where casual conversation can instantly turn to civil war and rivalry among the ranks....." hehe

STS, Yea it would work fine for that but you get fumes in the driver's seating area if you drive a w/b in it (would have a side ramp mounted at the side doors so trailer can remain hitched) but I see how it would be nice to store stuff in. However, you can't haul debris in it. When I get my first vehicle I really want a 1 ton dump so I can haul mulch and put a leaf box on it. You certainly can't do that with a van! I could have the van for a few thousand and get an older cheaper 1 ton dump (the van looks like new but has 196,000 miles on the V8 however I know it's in mint condition and no one would touch a vehicle with that many miles on it) but why do that when I could just save that money and get a newer nicer 1 ton dump that would be reliable? Well I can think about it. You NEVER see vans being used by LCO's here just scrubs (not saying its a scrubby thing, but you know) and very few enclosed trailers. I'd love an enclosed because I dont' wanna load/unload every nite and don't have any place to put my equipment anyway but it is more restrictive than an open for alot of things. If i had a 1 ton dump that would not be a problem though. I have a 6.5x12 open trailer right now, single axle no brakes. Thanks for your opinions, gives me something to think about.
Eric

mklawnman
12-17-2002, 02:20 PM
BHB
Ive seen a company use Cube vans, old Ryder trucks essentially. They put a big metal ramp on the back and i think they keep the door in too so that when the seasons over with they can close it up or for bad weather times. But when its summer time most of the time you have the windows open up front so you dont have to worry about fumes in the truck, otherwise if their is, its just part of being in the business.
Im in the same seat as you, im looking at buying a 1ton Dumper next year probley later next year and doing payments on it to pay it off.
Randy i dont know if you were refering to what i said but id say we learn at all ages mentally and physically. :cool:
Matt

FrankenScagMachines
12-17-2002, 03:21 PM
mklawn, when i see old cube vans in the used auto mags they're usually fairly cheap but abused. Usually alot of miles too. I would have the door close over the ramp so it looks cleaner and is lockable, weatherproof. Windows down would work but don't wanna pass out driving! My truck would be later in the year but I want to pay cash for it.
I think Randy meant some of the adults on here act like kids.. maybe I was wrong. And I'm sure he meant I act like an adult at times :angel: :D :p hehe j/k. Think i'll stick to the dumper and get an eclosed when I need to step up. Depends on what I think at the time I guess.
later,
Eric

f350
12-17-2002, 03:35 PM
way to many, nuff said

Wesley's Lawn
12-17-2002, 04:32 PM
Hey stslawncare to anwser you question, I must say i am very lucky i have gotten most of the stuff like the truck, van, trailer and some other stuf from my dad when he use to do it, other things like some of the trimmers i got from school from engines classes, my bp blower i got from a friend for free. BrushHogBoy i use the van mostly for when i dont need to hual anything like brush or leaves, I like using it more thean the truck just better to drive and i can get 5 people in instaed of three like my truck. I will put my trimmers and blowers and stuff like that in the back so it wont get solen when i working on a property.

FrankenScagMachines
12-17-2002, 04:45 PM
Wesley, our van is the 12 passenger version but you can take out benches. Has the 350 (or 351 if your technical) V8 in it, automatic, plenty of power as it's like a 1 ton truck w/o duals. Hauls the trailer very nicely, it is easy to see out of and drive ( not like a pickup but for what it is. I will use it for until I get a truck but I doubt I'll buy it from them because they use it from time to time (not enough to keep it though) but even though it's high mileage and still in great shape I want a lower mileage vehicle. Plus you can't pickup chics in a van like a truck :D Also if I want to snowplow it is probably not practical for that since it's 2wd. I don't like the sloppy steering on it though... I do like the brake and gas pedal resistance/sensitivity alot.
Could you take a picture of your equipment including the van?
Thanks,
Eric

Wesley's Lawn
12-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Yea i know what u mean about van vs truck like in snowplowing well i cant complain it was free and i like it and you want to talk about HIGH MILAGE the van is a 95 and it has 400,000 miles on it and runs great. It has great brakes on it two stops better than anything i have ever driven. Lol and about the chicks i would have to disagree with you I can get alot of chicks when i drive it to school lol. As for the pixs I dont have a way to get them on the comp here but i might beabel to get them on my cuz or friends comp and send them to mine I kepp you posted.

FrankenScagMachines
12-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Wesley,
That is alot of miles! But I can beleive it on a Ford. Bet you haven't had alot of problems with it huh? I agree can't complain about the brakes on it. Well yes you can get alot of chics in a passenger van but I can't say the van looks better than a truck of same year and make.....
Thanks for working on the pics.
Eric

CMLLawnServices
12-17-2002, 05:23 PM
I`m 15 this is my first year into it fully , bought all the small stuff last year and bought my ZTR this year, i`ve got 3 ball diamonds a park one estate and a few residental. Next year i`m bidding on my school`s contract and my old schools contract. about 10 acres total. I`m thinkin a Kubota 72" f ront mount for next year.

GLS
12-17-2002, 05:26 PM
I'm 16 and I mow with my 18 year old brother (were both still in HS).

The only work I do is by word of mouth. This way, you won't get the type of people that think your too young...I put an add in the paper last spring and got a lot of those (even though it said HS students...I guess they didn't know what that meant).

Anyways, We keep ourselves very busy during leaf cleanup season, and have an adequite amount of mowing accounts too. We also do landscaping work.

I love what I am doing right now. I don't have to get a part-time job at mcdonalds and I make good money.

I just bought a new truck: 95 chevy 3/4 with a 350. It's 4x4 and it has a snowplow for winter and I also have an ez-dumper for it. It might not be as good as a true dump, but it can hold 3,000 lbs and it only costs around $2000.

Ryan

lawnkid
12-17-2002, 05:34 PM
I am 15 currently to.. I started off 2 years ago cutting some lawns here and there for people on my stree and now I have 13 weekly customers,( down from 16 in the beginning of the year due to moving or couldn't afford anymore). Last year i decided to purchase a commercial mower and some commercial equiment so I could finally step up from the little JD 21". I bought a 1996 Scag 52" hydro w/14hp Kawasaki. I thought this engine would be powerful enoguh when I got the mnower but it needs to be replaced and i plan to do so in the spring. Anyway, along the way I've used a Homelite St-275 trimmer, Echo PB-603 bp blower, JD 21" w/b, Stihl HS-454 hedge trimmer, and some other tools. This coming spring I plan to expand with the money I have saved over the last 2 years cutting lawns and working apartment maintenance. Peace

rodfather
12-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 0ryan0
I'm 16 and I mow with my 18 year old brother (were both still in HS).

The only work I do is by word of mouth. This way, you won't get the type of people that think your too young...I put an add in the paper last spring and got a lot of those (even though it said HS students...I guess they didn't know what that meant).

Anyways, We keep ourselves very busy during leaf cleanup season, and have an adequite amount of mowing accounts too. We also do landscaping work.

I love what I am doing right now. I don't have to get a part-time job at mcdonalds and I make good money.

I just bought a new truck: 95 chevy 3/4 with a 350. It's 4x4 and it has a snowplow for winter and I also have an ez-dumper for it. It might not be as good as a true dump, but it can hold 3,000 lbs and it only costs around $2000.

For a '95, that's a pretty nice looking truck. Looks clean, too.

Ryan

mklawnman
12-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Hey oryan
Nice truck, even though im a FORD man, for your age to get that nice looking of a truck with plow NICE :) Yeah most of my work has been word of mouth, and also nice to have parents that own apartments so i can get into doing apartment complexes, which is good money.
How many of us teens do fertilizing?? I can't touch the stuff till i get certified which will be in a few years which i know their is good money in that. Right now i got enough stuff going on for my business to keep me busy while go to school.
Yeah brothers are nice to work with, someone to bounce ideas off of, he doesnt complain, gives me advice and is a very hard working person like me :D
Matt

LAWNGODFATHER
12-18-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Wesley's Lawn
I was just woundering how many people on this site are under the age of 18. Im 17 and been doing this for 5 years, For the people who are how many of you deal with people thinking your out of your mind when u ask for profesional prices and just cause you are younger they think you dont know squat.

The trick is on how you conduct your self when discissing projects with customers.

Act like 17 and they will treat you like you are 10.

Be firm and confident, and don't let em try to make you budge and they will treat you like you are 25.

stslawncare
12-18-2002, 09:43 AM
lgf i couldnt agree with you anymore, they try to take advantage of you if you act your age, act older then you are and you get more respect. rodfather is there suppose to be text in your post? all i see is the quote.

mklawnman
12-18-2002, 10:17 AM
I will agree 100% with lgf, if you act mature when talking with customers they will treat you with respect and maturity. I just wonder sometimes what people think when i talk with potential customers on the phone and meet them at their place that they might be expecting some 30yr old person to show up at their door, but instead get a 19yr person. I guess its the quality of work that shows how mature you are in the business along with speaking to customers, if your knowledgable some in the field and talk like an adult they will treat you like adults.
Matt

stslawncare
12-18-2002, 10:20 AM
i agree mklawnman, i have very good communications skills, especially when on the phone, it helps great with sales, and i also agree your matureness also shows greatly when in the field. if you act mature, have good communications skills, and do great work you should be in great shape.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-18-2002, 02:10 PM
I'm 32, look like I am about 18-19, don't think this is just something you youngens get.

Evan528
12-18-2002, 03:38 PM
I do not think age has anything to do with success. Im sorry. Im 18 now and started in the business at the ripe old age of 9 pushing a mower to neighorhood lawns. Throughout the years I have never once advertised and many of my accounts were formerly done by large established companys. I have always acted in a professional manor and never even felt a need to tell a client my age. My work sold itself...not my age. I now have 2 full time employees a shop full of machines and just bought my first home. I do not think my age has set me back at all!!! Stop pretneding age holds all of you back from running a sucessful business and do what you need to do! I have been told I look older then I am....I think think that accounts for what I have acomplished though! ;)

mklawnman
12-18-2002, 03:50 PM
I will keep on repeating what i said earlier, it is the work that you do that shows how mature your business is and the quality of work that you do. not age.
18yrs old and YOUR OWN HOME :eek: Wow id say that some success right there, keep it up maybe someday you will have a huge company and you will be able to retire early. :p
Retirement what am i talking about im only 19 ;)
Matt

lawncare3
12-18-2002, 07:10 PM
I'm 15 and started at the age of 10. I use to have about 10-11 customers but, htey moved. Now i only have 1 full time payer that's not cheap. Next year I am putting out 3,000 flyers I agree with all of you! Do any of you get those cheap customers that are like 40 year single with a $300,000 house but they are really penny pinchers and want quality for $10. I back down from the customers if they don't wanna pay it. I figure if they want it bad enough they can pay. If not then I don't take it.
BTW: Westly's my dogg.:D Good luck ya'll

sbvfd592
12-19-2002, 07:03 PM
IM 16 I have mowed since I was 9 years old all with the B&D push reel mower. I have a Landscapers supply 36" with the 14hp sthil trimmers and blowers. Yep I have many opportunities to expand next year. Soon some ford truck 250 or 350 I don't know yet depends on what I am going to do in the spring, I Have full ride to SUNY for "crew" rowing and can take the Landscape and Hort. classes but I don't know yet. I allso got my PSAT scores today and its a 1070 on them so its all good for SUNY.:D :blob2: it just made my day so much better if any of the "kids" teens whana im me to chat its JGgearhead @aol.com

danlawnser
12-19-2002, 09:40 PM
I am 17. Guys keep up the hard work. I have about 30 accounts and ain't taking any more work. SCHOOL IS STILL FIRST AND GOT TO MAKE THOSE A's

Barker's Lawn Care
12-19-2002, 09:40 PM
Im 13 goin on 14 in January. I love this biz. and will be in here till collage, if not during collage. I was mowing our (still) HUGE lawn with a 21'' MURRY! push mower at 9 years old. Now, I have 9 accounts and work very hard and poor quality does not exhist in my biz. There have been VERY few complaints and thats the way it will stay. I've been taught "do it right the first time, so you don't have to do it again" Next year I hope to get a median contract running through a high-end neighborhood(avg $500,000+ a house) As said before age doesn't matter, it is only physical; maturity and quality earn biz. As for me, age has never been a problem. Thanks to all the (physicaly) ADULTS who support younger people. As for the ones who don't, the thread topis is "HOW MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE ARE UNDER 18?''

Thanks,

Jeremy Barker

sbvfd592
12-28-2002, 05:05 PM
what age sis you all start at it was 9 for me mowing the persons next door i still mow them for 10$ a week for always being there

Sooners
01-01-2003, 12:07 AM
After looking at some of the profiles I was shocked to see how many on this site are between 15 and 30 yrs old. Now I know why so many use WB's instead of ZTR's. You've got more energy! I thought the average age would be much older.

However, I applaud you teenagers that do this work on a more professional level. It takes a lot for a young person to spend 2 or 3 thousand $ on a mower instead of a new rims for your car. I wouldn't have thought most kids would go for more than a 21" push mower, a $70 weedeater and set of hand trimmers. If you make a major investment in your equipment, you will be more contientious in your work. You guys are learning some good lessons. I started doing yard work for 50 cents/hr back in the 60's and eventually paid my way through college. You learn more when you work at an early age instead of waiting for handouts from your parents. Good Luck.

challenger55
02-05-2003, 09:19 PM
i am 14 years old and am planning on getting a 36" w/b. i have 5 accounts and am likely to get 10 more this spring. its a little harder to get lawns at this age but people spread the word that i do a good job thats always help. i will knock on people door and give them a flyier and its pretty hard to get accounts that way.

Weedburner
02-05-2003, 10:35 PM
I may have to change my name to "Old Man" I'm glad to see you young guys out learning to run a business. The concept of getting accounts, taking care of customers, keeping records and collecting money will be the same 20 years from now running a million dollar business. I work for a large company and have had a lot of employees report tp me. It's always great to get a fellow that I'm not the first one that asked him to work. As I look back I found that the lawn business was kind of fun. A good change of pace. Learn and have fun.

lawnboyil
02-05-2003, 10:40 PM
i am 17 going to U of I this fall and because of the quality of work that my dad me and his buddy do i have the oppertunity to bid on a 10000 comerical mowing contract just because our rep precdeces us enought that the DM is willing to sign with a 17 year old.

so hey if you know your **** and work hard anything is possible but the grey hair makes being believe alot easier

mklawnman
02-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Hey lawnboyil
What are you going for at the U of I??? Cause my uncle is a professor there in the horticulture department, e-mail me sometime when you find out who your teacher is.
Matt

lawnranger44
02-06-2003, 10:15 AM
I am 17 and i've been in this biz for 2 years with my bro. Actually, we've been taking alot of @#%# from a client lately, and we've recently decided to drop her like third period french!
all our other clients treat us very respectably and we're happy with them.

mower17
02-07-2003, 04:55 PM
I am 17, but not in the lawn biz. I am training to be a diesel mechanic. But I still enjoy troubleshooting lawn mowers.:D

captdevo
02-07-2003, 05:00 PM
my wife says i am, or at least act like it, (toys, toys, toys) but the mirror reminds me i'm 37.....lol

if only i could...and knew....naaaaa

only dreamin'

good luck guys, i wish i had a resource like lawnsite.com to learn from!!

bob
02-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Wow! There are a lot more than I thought. My hats off to you guys! (no I'm over 18)

FrankenScagMachines
02-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks to all the older guys. Encouragement is good and most of us younger guys love it and work just as hard at the biz as you guys and I think most of us are not lowballers or scrubs either, or are trying not to be anyway.
Thanks for the support & help & advice. Glad I have this place. I just looked the other day and I've been here since Nov. '00! That's over 2 years. Feels like one big family almost.
Thanks
Eric