PDA

View Full Version : Walker Walkbehind

Rodney Johns
12-17-2002, 03:24 PM
Just had to mention one of the coolest things I have seen in the industry in a while. Just tested out the new Walker by Walker at my dealer meeting a while back. WOW! this thing has the easiest operation I have seen in a walk behind to date. Easy to operate and very efficient. It also has the capabilty to interchange decks with the Walker riders which is a neat feature. Plus it still has the tilt up deck use. Check one out if you are in the Walk behind market for sure. This thing is going to be a seller.

rodfather
12-17-2002, 03:32 PM
What, no pics?:cry:

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 04:23 PM
I got to test drive it at the GIE and yes, I was impressed with the controls. I just love the idea of using a switch that controls the forward position. Bob said that right now they only offer it with a 15hp KAW. There is no way that will operate a 52" mulching deck. He said that retail price will be $3800.

MATT

grassdaddy
12-17-2002, 04:47 PM
your right.theres noway 15hp is enough.i'd want at least 19 and preferably a 21 if i was goig to do alot of mulching with a 52.

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Actually, I am side discharging with that deck, but it is running doubles and I still don't think that is enough hp.

MATT

rodfather
12-17-2002, 06:16 PM
15 hp is not enough, especially with a mulching deck. BTW, is this WB a hydro or belt driven?

I like the $3800 price tag.

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 06:31 PM
Hydro. That price tag does not include a deck.

MATT

rodfather
12-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Then, how much for the deck and what size(s) are available?

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 06:43 PM
I paid $1650 for a used, flip up 52" deck. I think the new 42" mulching deck runs about $1200 new, if I am not mistaken.

MATT

rodfather
12-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker
I paid $1650 for a used, flip up 52" deck. I think the new 42" mulching deck runs about $1200 new, if I am not mistaken.

MATT

Excuse me for my ignorance walker-talker, but what is a flip-up deck? Walker mowers are virtually non-existent in these parts of the woods.

Rodney Johns
12-17-2002, 06:52 PM
A new 52" would run you $2000
I sell used ones for $1000 for non tilts sometimes.
This Walker 15 they tell me will handle all decks up to the 54" with no problems. I would agree the mulching kit on the 52" might change performance. Also this is a recoil start engine priced very competative with other Walk behinds out there.

walker-talker
12-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Excuse me for my ignorance walker-talker, but what is a flip-up deck? Walker mowers are virtually non-existent in these parts of the woods.

With a flip up deck, you pull 2 pins then you can pick up the front of the deck and lock it in a full 90 degree position. You can transport the rider with the deck in this position to save on space. The largest benefit allows you to take on and off the blades with ease. Also good for cleaning the underneath of the deck.

MATT

rodfather
12-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Cool...and evidently get more machines on a trailer as well. I like the part about servicing it and changing blades too.

Thanks for the info.

cantoo
12-18-2002, 12:16 AM
rodfather, sounds like you need to get a Walker and be the leader in your area.

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 02:02 AM
I got to test drive it at the GIE and yes, I was impressed with the controls. I just love the idea of using a switch that controls the forward position.

MATT

What is the switch thing all about??? :confused:

Thanks

rodfather
12-18-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by cantoo

Maybe...but i have never even seen one in my area or even know of anyone that's a dealer for Walkers. I do like the part about how the deck flips up to a 90 degree position for changing out blades.

Doc Pete
12-18-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by cantoo

Not for $5,800, and only 15 HP and a 52" deck......... That's just plain silly! What the heck are these guy's thinking. Don't they know what is required by a professional???
Pete

rodfather
12-18-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Not for $5,800, and only 15 HP and a 52" deck......... That's just plain silly! What the heck are these guy's thinking. Don't they know what is required by a professional???
Pete

A 61" Ferris with a 23 hp kawi...right Pete? lol

Doc Pete
12-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
A 61" Ferris with a 23 hp kawi...right Pete? lol

I did drive a Ferris 3 wheeler, with 23 HP.... Nice machine. I thought it was built like Mack Truck..............

walker-talker
12-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
What is the switch thing all about??? :confused:

Thanks

It's a 2-way switch with a neutral position. You press the switch with your right thumb to move the unit forward. The longer you press it, the fast it goes. Once you take your thumb off it stays at that speed until you reverse it back to neutral. It works just like the stick lever on an Exmark walkbehind. It's just a little easier though becasue you don't have to take your hands off the controls to move the unit forward or put it back in the neutral postion.

MATT

Doc Pete
12-18-2002, 12:31 PM
It's a 2-way switch with a neutral position. You press the switch with your right thumb to move the unit forward. The longer you press it, the fast it goes. Once you take your thumb off it stays at that speed until you reverse it back to neutral. It works just like the stick lever on an Exmark walkbehind. It's just a little easier though becasue you don't have to take your hands off the controls to move the unit forward or put it back in the neutral postion.MATT

I'm totally confused. How you steer it?? How do speed up and slow (change speeds) quickly??? Does it "compensate" for going up a hill and down, or do you have to add speed going up the hill, and slow it down, going down???
Pete

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 01:43 PM
MATT,

Thanks! That does sound pretty neat. It wouldn't hurt for Walker to add some horsepower to their units though.

Rodney Johns
12-18-2002, 02:00 PM
It has a small switch style button located right next to the right grip. You can easily use your thumb to push up for faster and down for slower. You squeeze the right grip to turn right and left grip to turn left. It is that easy to control. No tracking levers, joysticks, or other cunfusing crap to get in your way.
You have to test one to really appreciate it.

walker-talker
12-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
MATT,

Thanks! That does sound pretty neat. It wouldn't hurt for Walker to add some horsepower to their units though.

This is a new unti, I am sure they will offer larger engines in the future. Like Rodney said, you really just need to demo on to appreciate them. It really is pretty slick.

MATT

Rhett
12-18-2002, 04:49 PM
$5800? Where is the seat?:confused:

walker-talker
12-18-2002, 05:11 PM
Should you go out and buy this unit and then spend another $2K on a deck....no. I am guessing that it is more aimed to current and future Walker owners that have or are going to have multiple decks.

MATT

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 05:30 PM
Should you go out and buy this unit and then spend another $2K on a deck....no. I am guessing that it is more aimed to current and future Walker owners that have or are going to have multiple decks.

MATT

MATT, That's my guess too.

Rhett, There are other WB's in that price range as well....IMHO that's just too much...where's the seat ;)

Doc Pete
12-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Rodney Johns
It has a small switch style button located right next to the right grip. You can easily use your thumb to push up for faster and down for slower. You squeeze the right grip to turn right and left grip to turn left. It is that easy to control. No tracking levers, joysticks, or other cunfusing crap to get in your way.
You have to test one to really appreciate it.

OK, so how you do stop it "now" from 4 mph? "Squeeze the grip"???? Are you saying it still has Pistol grips?? How do the grips regulate the "turning speed??? How do you go from forward fast to backward fast????
Pete

Rodney Johns
12-18-2002, 06:11 PM
Sqeeze both levers for reverse.
Very similar operation to the Walker rider. Right sqeeze turn right. Left sqeeze turn left. Both squeeze for reverse.
Push bottom of buttton to slow down top to speed up.

Mark
12-18-2002, 06:20 PM
What is the foward speed? Surely it's around 6 to 7, id think Walker would know that the user would most likely use a velke, but still 15hp just don't cut it......Marks Mowing Service

Doc Pete
12-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Mark
What is the foward speed? Surely it's around 6 to 7, id think Walker would know that the user would most likely use a velke, but still 15hp just don't cut it......Marks Mowing Service

I can't see going from 0 to 7 and back with any productivity, using a push button. It's just to slow to use, or you'll end up with carpal tunnel in your thumb. Also, 15 hp ain't gonna pull a velky, 56" deck and mow at 7 mph. Too bad they just didn't dump the 20/23 Kaw (or your choice) on it, from the start. 15 Horse, 7 or 8 mph and a deck too, is laughable...........Doesn't anyone do research before they bring out a new product????
Pete

Richard Martin
12-18-2002, 07:30 PM
Some specs:

3 gallon fuel capacity
5 mph top speed
13,569 foot per minute blade tip speed with 18" blades (36" deck)

Walker starts with a clean slate and goes right back to the same things they have always done.

Doc Pete
12-18-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
Some specs:

3 gallon fuel capacity
5 mph top speed
13,569 foot per minute blade tip speed with 18" blades (36" deck)

Walker starts with a clean slate and goes right back to the same things they have always done.

I thought everyone had at least a 5 gal. tank. Also, what's with the 5 mph?? Hello??? Am I missing something, or is 5 mph a step backwards??? I guess at that tip speed, you'll be lucky to get a good cut even at 4 mph.
Pete

PaulJ
12-19-2002, 12:53 AM
Pete, maybe its been awhile since youve dribven a pistol grip?:D

If I understand this "speed switch " correctly ? You drive the mower just like any pistol grip hydro but you set the maximum forward speed with this Switch instead of having to move a handle that mechanicly limits the forward limit of the grip levers.????

Those that have seen it, Does that make sence??
If so that does sound nice. how do you control tracking like if the machine is pulling to one side??

I know Walker likes to do things there own way, but the need to wake up a bit with the horsepower and speed side of things.

Tony Harrell
12-19-2002, 06:22 AM
You know, this machine could become quite useful if they were to come out with accessories other than decks. I'd like to see some things like a spreader, sprayer, maybe even a version of the aerator they've got for the regular Walker. Basically, it seems to me to be an updated version of the Gravely 2 wheel tractor (with better decks).

Doc Pete
12-19-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by PaulJ
Pete, maybe its been awhile since youve dribven a pistol grip?:D

Thanks Paul, I'm guessing that sounds a bit better for control. I just can't figure manufacturer's out. True I own Hustlers, and they have the best control system, but even they have a few kinks to iron in their system. However, companies must a have a hole in the head if their don't at least follow Hustler's design, and change from any type of lever/pistol grip, or straight "bar type" of steering.
Pete