PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump in Fuel Tank

agrostis
04-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I am curious, how many of you have a fuel pump in the tank ? And how many of you have had to replace it ? I have a '99 F150 and it cost me $400 today to have that fixed.

bigred13
04-19-2012, 10:00 PM
I am pretty sure most modern vehicles have in tank pumps. Last one I had to replace was a 2000 Jeep cherokee. Most shops charge more if you have a lot of gas in the tank as well. Because they have to deal with draining it. I think $400 really isnt that bad of a deal.

agrostis
04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Well, i only had 1/8 of a tank of gas. And the other two place's that quoted that repair were between $600-750 so i'm not complaining too loud about the price. It just blow's me away that the pump is in the tank. But i guess that's normal.

unkownfl
04-20-2012, 09:40 PM
If that was including the parts it was a fair price. It books two hours on a 1997 when I looked it up a few years ago for mine on my dads alldata.

FryDaddy
04-21-2012, 08:02 PM
The $400 for the replacement sounds about right. I had a fuel pump replaced in my 2000 s10 years ago and it was about $200-$300, had to remove the tank. Just a few weeks ago, I replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 83 ford f350 utility truck and it only cost me $26 and a few hours time, glad I didnt have to remove those tanks.

agrostis
04-21-2012, 08:13 PM
The $400 for the replacement sounds about right. I had a fuel pump replaced in my 2000 s10 years ago and it was about $200-$300, had to remove the tank. Just a few weeks ago, I replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 83 ford f350 utility truck and it only cost me $26 and a few hours time, glad I didnt have to remove those tanks.

Yeah, i'm finding out that in-tank fuel pump's are a lot more common than i realized. Almost all the vehicle's i grew up with had the pump under the hood.

dieselss
04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
In tank pumps are the norm across the board. Keeps the pump cool
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
04-23-2012, 08:55 PM
In tank pumps are the norm across the board. Keeps the pump cool
Posted via Mobile Device

An external is cooler than an internal. Most fuel systems have returns so they run consistently at the same volume. This allows the fuel to actually warm up in the tank. A fuel pump can self prime easier if it's mounted in the fuel tank. Lift pumps normally need primed if you run out. It's more expensive to make high pressure, high volume, self priming lift pumps.

dieselss
04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I disagree about the heat. Lift pumps can't handle the psi that intank pumps can. Old external pumps never needed primed
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
If the system is a return style setup like most Fords the fuel in the tank gets way hotter than it is out side so how could it stay cooler than a external one? Both will have fuel that is the same temperature flowing through it but the external will be able to dissipate heat into the air as the internal will be subjected to the heat of the fuel internally and externally. The fuel gets heated as it goes through the engine compartment and under the intake to the fuel regulator where it is sent back and circulated. The advantages of a internal one is that it's quite too. Also, hotter fuel burns cleaner. Why do you think engines run over 200 degrees now compared to older vehicles? They also wear less at higher temps.

dieselss
04-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Ummmmmm Fords run returnless fuel system on cars how hot are you thinking the fuel gets? To run a pump on the rail that can produce the psi that an in tank pump can is way to costly to produce and will overheat to fast. In tank pumps will stay cooler than external, they aren't exposed to the elements, if it hot outside there's no buffer for the pump
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
04-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Ford didn't start running return less until later on. All their fuel injected vehicles had return fuel systems until like 99/00ish. Obviously the fuel gets hot enough to make them run a return less system now. Emissions was why they run return less so not to bleed off the vapors into the air while the fuel is getting hot from being returned back into the tank. I will agree internal is cheaper, quieter, and more consistent temperature wise. An external has the capability to run cooler/hotter dependent on environment.

dieselss
04-23-2012, 10:57 PM
2002-2003 was the start of Fords returnless systems they started that for money reasons and simplicity if it was emission reasons then y don't they do it on all models?
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
04-24-2012, 08:40 PM
They went to it on some models as early as 99. A 99 F150 is a returnless system.

herler
04-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I am curious, how many of you have a fuel pump in the tank ? And how many of you have had to replace it ? I have a '99 F150 and it cost me $400 today to have that fixed.

I've had to replace mine and believe me that $400 is not a bad price, had I known what was coming I would have gladly paid that.