PDA

View Full Version : how late can u do pavers

JML
12-17-2002, 03:34 PM
This is our first real year of doing pavers. I have never done paver work into the winter, and I was just wondering how late can you do the pavers with the ground freezing and all? Thanks

joe

Stonehenge
12-17-2002, 04:12 PM
If the ground isn't frozen, you can install pavers.

Lanelle
12-17-2002, 04:51 PM
The other factor is wet, muddy ground. It needs to be firm enough to be a stable sub-base. In the cold, it takes longer to dry out so covering the site to keep out rain/snow makes sense.

dan deutekom
12-17-2002, 05:09 PM
If you do pavers late into the season tell the client that you might have to be back in spring to relay some areas. With frost going into the ground, wet material and all the other uglyness of working in poor conditions there is a good chance of something not being packed right or other problem. I have found that the client usually is understanding about this. When I do late season jobs I go back in spring and check. I then fix any problem I detect no matter how minor.

Does any one know of a good adhesive that works well in cold, damp conditions without having to use a torch to dry the cap? I find this very time consuming.

paul
12-17-2002, 05:52 PM
Dan there are a number of epoxies that allow use in wet conditions, we have used one that worked under water.

dan deutekom
12-18-2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks Paul

I will look into that

P. Baxter
12-18-2002, 05:13 PM
I installed my patio in the winter no goooooooood. I have watched large LC install all winter only to see the walks all fall apart within a year. If you do install into winter make sure you cover every inch of exposd stone with a cnavis. You never know when it may snow.

General Grounds
12-18-2002, 09:04 PM
:blob3: we do all our major paver jobs in the winter for years with no problems as of yet. tony

dougaustreim
12-19-2002, 08:57 AM
WE are doing a patio today here in SD: Winter capital of the world. Success or failure of a paver job is 90% base prep. If one doesn't get proper compaction, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is. Actually we have our biggest problems during the wet season in the spring. This winter so far is mild and we have been rather dry. We would only lay on a site that was well prepared. One obviously would not use frozen soil to fill with etc. If the underlying ground is solid and you have unfrozen gravel and sand to work with, you should have no problem doing a good job.

Doug Austreim
Austreim Landscaping

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-24-2002, 09:40 AM
what happens if you lay pavers on frozen ground.. Ughhh , your not gonna get good compaction at all and come spring it will be an ugly mess... all your gonna hear are complaints... and waste your time and money repairing or redoing the entire project come spring, not very profitable ...

PAPS
12-24-2002, 05:20 PM
We don't do any paver work during the winter months for a few reasons like others mentioned above. Ground is frozen or too wet, can't get good compaction. Guys crying because its too cold to work, customers callin because the job taking too long due to snow covering all our materials after a storm, those are among some of the many reasons not to do pavers during the winter.