PDA

View Full Version : how long will they last

voglernut
12-17-2002, 06:29 PM
i know everyone has had different experiences with different brands, but what's your opinions on how many hours a well kept ztr will produce.

65hoss
12-17-2002, 06:30 PM
Several thousand.

rodfather
12-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Several thousand.

I agree with 65hoss...but there are some considerations that need to be taken in account too...job conditions, preventive maintenance, and the person operating the machine.

For the most part, "employers/owners" take better care of equiment than do "employees/operators".

Green King
12-21-2002, 06:44 PM
I have been looking for some new machines and I have been learning some things about why some will last longer than others. As mentioned maintenance is a key factor, but I have also learned that the simple no thrills design seems to be a better way to go. At first I thought I wanted all the fancy electric clutches and buzzards and stuff, but when it was explained to me that a machine that does not have all of this stuff on it just effecienct design there is less things to go wrong with it. I do agree that I do want the coolers and donaldson filters and stuff that will increase engine and hydro life but some of the other things that some companies do sounds good but can be expensive when it breaks.

I have a schweiss mower with 2300hrs on it.

grassdaddy
12-21-2002, 07:53 PM
our grasshopper dealer, has been selling hops for 15yrs.he also sells exmarks and wright.he told me in 15yrs he rebuilt many engines but NEVER a kubota gas or diesel,only in class.so he could'nt tell me how many hours to expect .:blob4:

Flex-Deck
12-21-2002, 08:23 PM
I have 5000 hrs on a 322 JD Tractor - Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel and it purrs like a kitten - should go at least 10,000.

crazygator
12-21-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Green King
At first I thought I wanted all the fancy electric clutches and buzzards and stuff, but when it was explained to me that a machine that does not have all of this stuff on it just effecienct design there is less things to go wrong with it.

And who was it that explained it all to you? The guy selling the one that did not have any of that stuff on it? Hmmmm sounds like a sales pitch. Think about this, if (lets say) the electric clutches were such a problem, why are so many MFG's using them and were is the threads on here telling us of all the clutches going out? Plus if you are referring to DC, you had better look at their web site. They are putting a new machine out with an electric clutch. So if its bad why are they using one?

Just wondering!

Tony Harrell
12-21-2002, 09:35 PM
Actually, I've had a certified master mechanic tell me that they are troublesome and unneccesary. How did we ever get by without them? Why does a 15 hp engine need an electric clutch?

crazygator
12-21-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Tony Harrell
Why does a 15 hp engine need an electric clutch?

My 15HP 36" TTHP does not have one!

Detailed LawnService
12-21-2002, 10:56 PM
3000-5000 if taken care of oil,filters,grease.....

FrankenScagMachines
12-21-2002, 11:08 PM
Gator - no but my 14hp Deere does...38" deck no need for a electric clutch. I don't think there is ever a need for it IMO. I have seen wheel horses with the manual clutches go forever and ever but have seen countless electric clutches fried at least $150 each often alot more. Belt clutches like Dixie's and w/b's have are foolproof as well. Electric's work fine if you take care of them but the point is that most people dont' take care of them and that is what tears them up. Like driving into the grass, let the deck down to mow position and run engine upto 3,800rpms and then hitting the switch already under load expecting 3 20" blades to instantly hit that speed under load. You can abuse a manual clutch all you want and I guarantee you they will outlast at least 2 electric clutches before they have any problems and 99% of the time they're cheaper. Simpler, cheaper, better, why not? Oh gator don't take this personally it's aimed at anyone. Only the first sentence was for you. LOL. Personally I think mowers should come standard with manual clutches and have electric's optional. I think the electrics were made for dealers because it's extra work for them to do LOL.
Eric

tjg
12-22-2002, 12:25 AM
I agree manual over electric, I have replaced them on the Hoppers but the belts on the Walker are is going. I like to know the blades are going to start when I pull on the handle.I also agree the electric ones just cost time and money, time replacing and babing them when they decide to go out and need to get a few yards finished.

David Haggerty
12-22-2002, 04:56 AM
Electric clutches are fine if you get a good brand like Ogura or Wagner.
The trouble is some manufacturers use cheapies with aluminum windings to save a couple of bucks. (and sell you a new one)

Mechanical clutches are fine if they can get the linkage right.
But the set up can cost you more than an electric, and it really limits them on design.

The air conditioners on cars all have 12 volt electric clutches, and they cycle constantly without failure.

One mower parts catalog even sells clutches with the Ogura name. I thought it was J Thomas.

If you're having repeated failing of electric clutches, it's probably the engagement switch. They get corroded and won't send full voltage to the electric clutch. The circuit overheats and burns up the coil in the clutch.

After replacing one of my clutches, I went to an auto parts store and bought a 12 volt circuit breaker. Now if the circuit heats up for any reason (bad battery or failure of the charging system, or god forbid another bad switch) the circuit breaker opens saving the clutch. I got the auto reset kind. I think it was $4
It saved the clutch a couple of times after that.
You just have to get one with the amp rating of your electric clutch.

Dave

Russ
12-22-2002, 12:18 PM
In my experience, 4K on gas. Diesal is just breaking in at 4K. Thats on DC's

Brickman
12-22-2002, 12:40 PM
For a long time Walker had a lot of problems with their air filtering system and the engines would need replace/overhaul at 1000. This was the 16 HP Kohlers mainly. Now with the use of the Donaldson system and the 3 air filters before the air reaches the engine those engines are reaching in excess of 3K hours and beyond with proper maint.

WREBELMACHINE
12-22-2002, 09:46 PM
If maintained right you should get lots of hours out of any commercial machine. I have several thousand on my dixie's and I am going to try for 10,000 on my diesel bladerunners! As far as the electric clutches I had a lazer and some ferris i/s machines that gave me a lot of headaches with the electric clutch. Never a problem on the dixie, and so far no problem on the bladerunner it also has a manual clutch. I have been told that the newer generation of electric clutches are better than the old ones of a year or two ago.

little green guy
12-23-2002, 01:04 AM
If your a one man show the equipment will last a LONG time usually

If you have a crew but are out working with your guys the equipment will last but not as long as a one man show.

If you have a crew/crews out cutting the equipment won't last neary as long either of the other two.

As for electric clutchs, i havn't had one go yet on any of my machines, I don' t see a problem with them and even if they do go there like 150.00, thats not that bad. I kinda like them because they stop the blades quicker than manual cluches.