PDA

View Full Version : bluestone vs. pavers

Henry
12-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Is there a big difference in the amount of time to lay pattern bluestone compared to pavers? I know they're larger (heavier) pieces but they also cover more ground per piece.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-17-2002, 08:39 PM
The bluestone will take alot more time to lay , cause of varying thicknesses, so the sand will have to be adjusted for each piece and the pieces need to be fit together, like a puzzel , so it takes some planning to get it all together.especially if irregular. You have to chisel them by hand or do it with a saw and then redo the edges with chiesl to make it look natural. I have heard that some suppliers of the stone will actually lay them out and # them for you with a plan supplied so you just do a lay by #'s type thing.. So that would save alot of time. I did it once just by getting a bunch of pieces of square cut bluestone to do a porch and had to lay it out and measure it and custom cut and fit each piece.. It's alot easier to just lay a pattern of pavers and zip the ends with a saw.....

mowing king
12-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Don't use sand to lay the Bluestone in. Use 3/8" stone. You can make the adjustments much quicker. I used to hate doing bluestone until a friend showed me the 3/8" base way. we can do about 300 ft of bluestone a day or 100 ft per guy. and the blue cost me $4.5 a ft. the paver cost. $1.35 to $2.25 a ft depending on the paver.

Turfdude
12-17-2002, 10:37 PM
You could also use a base of DGA with a fine 3/4" layer of stone dust to set the bluestone.

Bob