PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a deep landscape bed

cutman2000
04-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Some guys swear to using only a regular string trimmer weed eater. How do you guys make your tree rings, bed rings, mulch rings? Do I have to use an edger? I do use my string trimmer for side walk edging, and it works fine for that. But never tried it for edging a flower bed, mulch bed-and it'll have to be deep(2"-3" deep) to look good.

93Chevy
04-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Edging weekly as in grass cutting? Or cutting a new edge to prep for mulch?

Every week, or sometimes every other, we edge all the beds with a string trimmer to keep the edge crisp from the grass growing over.

As far as prepping for mulch, you're not going to get an edge with a trimmer. A walk behind edger is your best bet, but they're expensive. You can get a dang good edge with an edging spade, but it takes a little longer.

Patriot Services
04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Establish with an edging spade (looks like a half moon) and maintain it with the trimmer.:usflag:

Landgreen
04-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Some guys swear to using only a regular string trimmer weed eater. How do you guys make your tree rings, bed rings, mulch rings? Do I have to use an edger? I do use my string trimmer for side walk edging, and it works fine for that. But never tried it for edging a flower bed, mulch bed-and it'll have to be deep(2"-3" deep) to look good.

This is what you need. http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Bed-Redefiners/BRD-280/Feature

We have used ours for the past few years and it works great. Very handy tool that makes short work of bed edging.

Dont bother with a spade unless you only have a limited amount of this type of work.

Patriot Services
04-21-2012, 05:08 PM
This is what you need. http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Bed-Redefiners/BRD-280/Feature

We have used ours for the past few years and it works great. Very handy tool that makes short work of bed edging.

Dont bother with a spade unless you only have a limited amount of this type of work.

Don't forget the 600 dollar price tag. I didn't buy one until it became part of the PAS system.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMan19
04-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Don't forget the 600 dollar price tag. I didn't buy one until it became part of the PAS system.
Posted via Mobile Device

It is part of the PAS system, but you need the PAS-280.:)

93Chevy
04-21-2012, 08:42 PM

I hate those BRD 280s. They don't leave a good edge, they lack power, they don't do anything if the soil is the slightest bit wet, and they fling material 200 feet.

Smallaxe
04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
The trim mower , maintains all the beds I go around... The edge has to be set up for the wheel of the trim mower... if not, make it so... works for me... :)

Landgreen
04-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I hate those BRD 280s. They don't leave a good edge, they lack power, they don't do anything if the soil is the slightest bit wet, and they fling material 200 feet.

Have fun with your shovel. Try edging 230 trees in one day with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-21-2012, 10:31 PM

What I use is my Turf Teq bed groomer blade Every spring define the beds tree rings Then about mid summer I'll do it again then early fall in between the grooming I'll use a stick edger But the turf teq really gets down deep the stick edger helps keep the hang over cut back

Turf Teq does cost high but it saves so much time
Sample use to groom one customer by hand about 3 hr job then bought a Brown bed groomer and same job took 2 hrs Then bought the Turf Teq The job was 45mins to 1 hr
This about 10-15 mins to run the groomer rest of time is cleaning
Clean up crew use wait on me Now I wait on the crew to clean up lot times I'll pitch in to clean up before use to get done about same time I hardly had to help on cleanup part

93Chevy
04-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Have fun with your shovel. Try edging 230 trees in one day with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd rather do that than have my edges look like crap and use a terrible piece of equipment.

Get real edger, not a glorified string trimmer.

You should be able to bang out a tree ever 1-2 minutes with a walk behind edger and 90%-100% of walk behind edgers have a lot better edge than the BRD280.

weeze
04-21-2012, 11:44 PM
just put borders around the tree rings and beds then you can just trim around them.

Patriot Services
04-22-2012, 07:38 AM
It is part of the PAS system, but you need the PAS-280.:)

Yes and no. You can buy the dedicated BRD280. You can also buy ths PAS280 system and get the definer attatchment. i have a PAS280 and PAS265 system. The 265 runs the BRD fine in sandy soil. I only use it on old overgrown edges. A weekly pass witha standard stick edger keeps them sharp. I also have a Brown for cutting brand new beds out. If you don't do a lot of beds it's tough to justify the cash outlay. Not to mention the BRD does not work well in clay at all.:usflag:

Landgreen
04-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I'd rather do that than have my edges look like crap and use a terrible piece of equipment.

Get real edger, not a glorified string trimmer.

You should be able to bang out a tree ever 1-2 minutes with a walk behind edger and 90%-100% of walk behind edgers have a lot better edge than the BRD280.

The OP was looking for a tool to keep the beds edged and not create them I assume. A brown bed edger or other walk behind creates a deeper trench which works great for new installs. But the BRD can keep the edge looking good and do it far quicker, easier, and cheaper. And a WB bed edger sucks on hills.

If you were shooting debris out 200' you were not using it properly.

I have never used it in clay but can imagine it would not have the power. There is no clay in my area so not a problem for me.

$600 for the BRD has been one of the best investments we made. Because of its usefullness, I have sold many edging jobs where the beds and trees need to be redefined. My price was lower than others since we can do the work in half the time rather than using a shovel.