PDA

View Full Version : barberry problems

mark2
12-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Why did the barberry plants loose there leaves so early. I can't find any pest on them. They are planted under white pines and surrounded by juniper. What pest are they prone to. I hope they come back this spring.

MD Land Management
12-17-2002, 09:14 PM
Barberry Plants In the North East Lose their leaves in about October or Novemember, they keep coming back every year at all my customers houses more beutiful then ever. :p

Turfdude
12-17-2002, 09:35 PM
I concur! Look real close again - you should be able to see next year's buds.

Bob

Lanelle
12-17-2002, 10:29 PM
Haven't you had some very cold weather already? I concur with the others.

devildog
12-18-2002, 03:13 AM
Barberry are decidous, they start the leaf drop after the first freeze. Crimson variety seem to hold on the longest in z8. Leaf on new growth stems hold on the longest, prune in jan/feb. With Regards... devildog

GarPA
12-18-2002, 05:42 AM
Barberries are like thistle...almose impossible to kill...great plants all around...I doubt very much they are dead unless they were planted completley improperly....and I cant imagine how even a moron could not plant a successful barberry...I have many and planted many at clients....all dropped leaves in Nov and all look fine

snowbound
12-23-2002, 02:55 PM
What type are you referring to?

TurfGuyTX
01-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Great plants with nice color.

AGLA
01-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Barberry is on the $%^& list as a non-native invasive species up here. You can still use it, but the hard core environmentalist people go nuts. (no, I'm not one of them)

GarPA
01-16-2005, 07:56 AM
AGLA...man thats weird....you would think the treehuggingsnailkissers would be happy to have a plant that never needs chemical spray, grows almost anywhere with no soil amending, and can be kept under control with a little bit of pruning...go figure

SodKing
01-16-2005, 08:05 AM
AGLA...man thats weird....you would think the treehuggingsnailkissers would be happy to have a plant that never needs chemical spray, grows almost anywhere with no soil amending, and can be kept under control with a little bit of pruning...go figure

The wingnuts in NH placed the Burning bush Euonymus alatus in the invasive species list. I believe we can't even buy them this year.

Lawnchoice
01-16-2005, 08:12 AM
The wingnuts in NH placed the Burning bush Euonymus alatus in the invasive species list. I believe we can't even buy them this year.

Hear that from UNH ?

GarPA
01-16-2005, 08:13 AM
I knew you had some weirdos up your way but I didn't know they were this out of their minds....I wonder if they also plan to ban gas guzzlers that most of them drive to the grocery store to buy some Designer Water?

THese people are soooo transparent

SodKing
01-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Hear that from UNH ?

I believe it came from a flier from the NH dept of AG.

SodKing
01-16-2005, 09:45 AM
I knew you had some weirdos up your way but I didn't know they were this out of their minds....I wonder if they also plan to ban gas guzzlers that most of them drive to the grocery store to buy some Designer Water?

THese people are soooo transparent

Yup, these same people who complain about pesticides and then complain about the price of organic produce. They don't realize that pesticides have allowed us to increase food production worldwide, lead to less disease worldwide, and improve their own health from higher quality produce. You wouldn't be able to eat a quality apple in April if it were not for pesticides and potatoes would be quadruple the price.

AGLA
01-17-2005, 07:55 PM
There is some basis for calling these invasives because they do reseed and spread quite a bit in some areas. But, sometimes these are spreading in some areas, but not others.

Norway Maple is one that is not regulated, but hated by the environmental community. Others include Privet, Burning Bush, Japanese Honey suckle, English Ivy, and Bittersweet. I know that some other regions have problems with Buckthorn and Bradford Pear (although no fruit it is supposed to pollinate others pears and take over).

Many ban Scotch Broom, Russian Olive, and Purple Loosestrife.

Again, in some areas these things are big problems, but in others they may not be so bad. There are a lot of people that read about something in one area and then "educate" people in other areas to believe that the same plants are a problem there without doing the research. It bugs the hell out of me when people here one thing from some agenda oriented group and immediatel latch onto it as fact and deny anything to the contrary.

We should do our part to be careful to know what is a problem in our areas and then be careful not to add to problems. I'm all for that, but there should be credible evidence before the "plant police" step in.

PS, 'how bout that MVP Sodking? Did you go to the Colts game?

SodKing
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
It was a great game. Why does everyone discount the Pats??? Great team, and team is teh operative word. Great coach and staff, a big part of the team. I didn't go to the game, I watched from the comfort of the living room.

AGLA
01-18-2005, 06:02 AM
I did go. It was fun. A lot of fun.