PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Kombi tool.......

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-22-2012, 11:30 AM
What tools do you use??

I purchased a 110, and the straight edger to replace my stick edger that was stolen.

I do high end residential sites, and plan purchasing the articulated hedge trimmer, the pole saw, a few extensions, and the cultivator.

My first question, for anyone who has the cultivator attachment, how does it work, compared to a dedicated mantis style tiller??

Do they make an attachment like the Echo bed edger for the Stihl system?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cheffy
04-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I have the pole saw and just bought the straight edger. i do not see a Bed edger in the book . For the kombi.

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-22-2012, 03:32 PM
I have the pole saw and just bought the straight edger. i do not see a Bed edger in the book . For the kombi.

Yeah I didn't see one in the owners manual but thought Id ask if anyone knew of one available.

Anyone know if the echo tool will fit the Stihl power head?
Posted via Mobile Device

Belgium
04-23-2012, 06:22 AM
The cultivator is great for ground that is already loosened up. Only thin i did was swap the "straight blades" with the bent ones from the stihl mm-55 and now it works great. Just don't expect it to replace a rototiller :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
I use my tiller with great results. It gets used for mixing compost and soil while installing plants and to fluff up old mulch. I have the stihl tiller head attached to an old fs56r.
Posted via Mobile Device

lungs414
04-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Works great on fairly loose soil.I also used it to mix my sand/cement/stone mortar mix before adding water. Saved a lot of shoveling.

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys. I've got 11k sq of bed to cultivate. They haven't been done in a while, but even with a hula hoe, its breaking up easy.

Id be stupid not to go buy one to try.

I didn't think of it for fluffing mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device

OakNut
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't have a Kombi, but I have an FS90R that accepts the different gearbox attachments. (not compatible with Kombi attachments)

I have the articulating hedge trimmer attachment and it was worth every penny. (even though it was a lot of pennies)
Buying the trimmer attachment that doesn't adjust to different angles would have been a huge mistake.

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Well, after the first week with it........I'm not really impressed. Its heavy as a stick edger, having to use the high idle start almost every time is a pain. Also my trigger mechanism isn't quite right. It is difficult to turn off, and often won't release the hi idle when trigger is depressed. I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have it fixed.

I've always been a Stihl saw fan, and never really impressed with their lawn tools. I went with the Stihl over Redmax because of tool selection (extension pole mainly as I do a lot of tree work) I'm hoping I don't regret this thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

McFarland_Lawn_Care
04-28-2012, 07:46 AM
I have had one for 2 or 3 years and love it. I use the pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer, power broom and edger. Up here we don't do a LOT of edging so it works great for us. Also nice to keep the hedge attachment in the truck box in case you need to swap it out for a quick trimming. I can see if you did a lot of edging then the Kombi one might get a bit heavy and cumbersome. I also have the 110 and no problems at all, but it has been lightly used overall - I don't trim with it or anything.

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-28-2012, 02:04 PM
I plan on keeping all the attachments on the trailer.

I edge with a trimmer most of the time, but ya gotta touch things up occasionally, and I always do the first edging with an actual edger.

I did just find out today that the string trimmer attachment is only $39, with purchase of the tool and an attachment. So now I gotta ride the dealer (my old boss, his new dealership) to give me the deal for the string head, just for a backup.

They're putting a new trigger handle assembly on it, to fix the faulty one. Hopefully he can have it back in the next few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Hope the trigger was your only problem. I haven't had any issues with the trigger on my KM110R, and only use the "start" position for a cold start, and never had to use more than 3 pulls in the past 5 years.
On a cold start, I prime the bulb until it's full of fuel, set it to "start", set the choke, and pull. 9 times out of 10, if I open the choke within about a second of it catching, I'm good to go. That 10'th time, I'll have to open the choke and pull one more time.

As to the cultivator, I've got to chime in with a negative opinion.
I had the MM55, and took the cultivator head off of that, and tried it on a Kombi shaft (the parts are the same). The difference was night and day, between how well it worked on both machines.

On the MM55, the engine is right over the tines, and keeps them down, in the cut, working for you. On the Kombi, the engine is behind your hands, weighing your hands down, and LIFTING the cultivator head (or if not lifting it, it is providing counterbalance).
This is very bad, and makes it so that you have to push down with your hands to get anything done.

With the MM55, I could comfortable till a 300 sqft garden in an hour or so (I've since sold that, and upgraded to a machine twice the size).
The the SAME cultivator head on the KM110R (which has a much more powerful engine, to boot), there's no way I'd have the physical endurance to turn over the same garden. I'd sooner double dig it with a shovel! No kidding.

On the other hand, I can only give glowing descriptions of the straight shaft edger (it takes a little getting used to, to get the technique where you don't notice the weight).

The pole pruner is excellent (and with it, I have no need to own a dedicated chainsaw), and the blower is plenty capable.

As stated above, the articulating hedge trimmer is MUCH more useful than the straight only version. Well worth the extra expense.

Belgium
05-01-2012, 01:35 PM
The edger is very useful (only have the bent one but would like to know the difference with the straight one). I have all the attachments for the combi except the paddle broom and the blower. I like the cultivator but of course it's not suitable for very compacted soil (i use it for small areas with softer soil and it's excellent for that. For the bigger areas i have a 19hp rototiller). The articulating hedge trimmer works very well (i sometimes have to use it with an extension and that works perfect altough very heavy). The pole saw is also very useful (no more need for a ladder :-) ) If you have a question, you can always ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
05-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I've got the carbon extension, and using it with the hedge trimmer is extremely unbalanced and heavy (it's not so bad with the pole saw). I cannot imagine it with the aluminum extension. I'm sure it would feel like the shaft would bend or break.
Still, it gives incredible reach, and comes in handy too.

Belgium
05-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I have the carbon shaft too and when you use with the hedge trimmer you can indeed see that there is a little flex on the shaft. and yes it is very heavy but when you have to trim a hedge that is standing just next to a ditch it can be very useful :-) Oh yes when you wobble the unit you can really see the hedge trimmer flex so i don't use this combo unless absolutely necessary as i don't think it would be very good for the lifetime of the machine
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
05-02-2012, 08:17 AM
I know exactly what you mean. But still, what else can trim the top of my 12' holly from the ground?
With the hedge trimmer, I'll set it to an angle, and can reach over some really tall stuff to trim the top.
The carbon extension is built quite seriously, and my concern is that the aluminum extension's added weight would probably nix the idea of using such a long hedge trimmer.

At least, with the pole saw, the tool doesn't overhang the end, and with the extension in place, you're using it in a more vertical orientation, so the pole doesn't feel like it's bending uncomfortably.

I believe the aluminum extension was made for the pole pruner, and not really much else (unless you're 14 feet tall, and want to use a string trimmer).
If I can't reach it with this, I grab my Jameson pole saw. There's no way I'd risk the tool with two extensions in line.

One thing that just occurred to me, is that the blower attachment has a tip that can be used with a gutter cleaning kit. I wonder if it would help any, to have the blower on the extension . . .

Outdoors_Unlimited
05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
So, I'm less than satisfied with the dealer. Their response, we couldn't replicate the problem. Even though I showed it happening to the service manager. Definitely the last item I purchase from him. (Had to take my blower in to get the idle turned down after the first job......nice prep job)
Posted via Mobile Device