PDA

View Full Version : Which Tiller? Stihl or Cub Cadet?

Northern Woodsman
04-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I need to till/cultivate a few garden beds for a couple of customers and not sure which tiller would be best for my needs.

Occasional in ground that has not been tilled before.
Small sized beds up to 50 sq/ft.

So far I'm thinking about the Stihl mm 55 Yard Boss or the Cub Cadet 9 in. 26 cc Gas 4-Cycle Cultivator.

About a $50 difference in price. I would think the Stihl is the better value but...I want something that will last for small jobs.

Any other brands/models you would recommend for occasional use that will hold up over the years?

Thanks!

rlitman
04-22-2012, 04:29 PM
I had the Yard Boss. I used to use it to till a garden more like 300 sq ft. It was a bit small for that, but plenty capable of doing the job, even in untilled ground, however no tiller that small is going to handle grinding through grass.
I upgraded because I got an awesome deal on a Honda twice the size, but in it's size class, the Stihl is as good as it gets. Don't be afraid that it's just got the "55" size engine. The machine puts the weight on the tool, where it's supposed to be, and not in your hands. It is really well thought out.

Northern Woodsman
04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you for your response. That helps my decision a lot.

How to you suggest to "break" the ground before tilling for a garden?

I used to have a CASE tractor with a plow for large gardens but this small stuff is all new to me.

Thanks!