PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Upgrade

C.J.
04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
I have a few trailers I pull but am thinking about taking the biggest one and adding some mounts to hold my edgeger/weed eater, a tool box, and maybe some other stuff, any ideas?

MTenterprises
04-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Many brands to choose from, but trimmer trap is good for any rack you can dream of. I would build or buy an actual mesh landscape basket for the front if you can. A nice lockable landscape cage looks good and serves purpose. Make sure it is at least 2ft x 2 ft and however wide trailer is and has lockable hinged door. :usflag:

C.J.
04-24-2012, 09:24 AM
I bet I can make mounts for the trimmer and edger for pretty cheap, anyone done that before?

edensgate7
04-24-2012, 10:49 PM
I bet I can make mounts for the trimmer and edger for pretty cheap, anyone done that before?

Yes I have made some really affordable mounts for my blowers with some scrap metal I had laying around and some chain and pins. What type of blowers do you have?

edensgate7
04-24-2012, 10:51 PM
add "too" after blowers.....should be "for my blowers too"

C.J.
04-24-2012, 11:32 PM
I have an echo and about to by a stihl, anyone have any pics of racks they made?

edensgate7
04-25-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't have time to do the whole pic thing but for the echo I just took a piece of 1/4 in thick by 3 in C channel about 3 ft long and bolted it to one of the uprights for the trailer railing. Then I welded (you can drill and bolt if you can't weld) a "fork" on made from the same c-channel but with the center of the "C" cut out a little way to go through the handle on top of the blower frame like you would carry it with your hand. Then you just simply chain a lockable pin to the 3 ft c-channel that goes through some holes in the ends of the "fork" and its done. Lockable, quick, and simple. To keep the tube for the blower from blowing around it slides into a piece of 6 in PVC I have on the top of the trailer railing.

For the stihl I have, the handle on top wasn't sturdy enough to handle the full weight of the blower being bounced around going down the road so I did the same base of c-channel and instead of the fork (the frame is different on the stihl than the echo)I used a 1/2 inch bolt by 4 in long with a hole drilled through the threaded end and bolted it through a hole I drilled in the top of the c-channel. This bolt goes through a hole in the top of the blower frame in the middle and gets a lock or pin through the drilled hole in the threaded end. Then I made a crossbar where the bottom of the blower frame hangs and put two "J" hooks on the ends of the crossbar (buy em or make em out of some flat 1/4 in by 2 in bar stock) that the frame of the blower hooks into to hold the majority of the weight. The tube goes in the same piece of PVC as the other one.

For the trimmer rack I basically did the same c-channel uprights and made some curved where you slip the one end of the weedeater into a tight offset "J" hook on one upright that you slide the shaft of the weedeater into at a low angle and raise up to parallel and then hook the trigger handle into a lockable fork and pin on the other upright.

So evereything is lockable, one pin on and off, and done. Material isn't expensive (found mine at scrap yard for less than 30 bucks) and not much time or specialized tools involved.

edensgate7
04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
edit ("offset "J" hook") to be "J" hook with a bolt beside it but mounted slightly above and to the right or left of the top of the "j" hook....... (trying to be more descriptive with this part)

C.J.
05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I found a trailer box for $150, trying to get it for $100, anything else I can add to this trailer?

PlantscapeSolutions
05-07-2012, 11:51 PM
I've had Trimmer Trap and Extreme Series Racks for string trimmers and the Extreme make the Trimmer Trap look like a POS.