PDA

View Full Version : Need some help in picking software to use for my lawn care service

greenngrow
08-11-2000, 09:36 PM
I was wondering if some of you pros could help me out in picking a software package.
I have a spraying service for the past five years and have been just using a spreadsheet to keep my accounts updated.

The business has grown to almost 100 customers and it is getting hard to keep track. I also am looking for some way to schedule routes for me guys.

Looking at getting into mowing this next year.

I have been looking at Quickbooks Pro and Peachtree Accounting.

Looking for good answers.

Thanks

gusbuster
08-12-2000, 09:29 PM
Mark
Depends on how much money you want to spend. There are specific bookkeeping schedualing software for our trade such as "clip" or "Lawn Monkey". Myself, I've been using QuickBooks Pro for the last 9 years. Set in my ways so probally won't use any other software. Once you set up everything, goes like a breeze. Everybody here on the forum has their favorite software.

Ask this question to yourself, Do you intend to file your own taxes, or will you be taking your information to a bookkeeprtax preparer? If you go this route, check out the software they are using, quickbooks or peachtree ect..
Good Luck :D
oh by the way, you can get demos for almost all of the above mentioned software. You might also want to do a search on this subject on this site.
John

gene gls
08-12-2000, 09:43 PM
Lawn Monkey:There is one model that has spraying included. LM offers unlimited amount of customers, free up-dates, super service, easy to use. Test out a free demo...Good Luck

bob
08-12-2000, 10:44 PM
I'm using Quick Books. You could try Lawn Monkey, Gopher or Clips. Look through the trade magazines. There's lots of ads on lawn software.

trimmasters
08-13-2000, 01:59 AM
Just thought I would give my own advice as the co. has been throught every pice of software out there:

Quickbooks pro: Good for accounting, lacks schduling and crew tracking, can be linked to clip. Average price $149

Protrack for lawn: vary good for price has all major features for lawn care, billing, routing, invintory, plus you can add acounting and payroal. only lacking abbility to add difrent taxes for difrent service areas, dos program. price about $349 payroal $149 Accounting $149

Mass 90: the most compleat accounting software byfar, links to clip. cost $1,000+

Lawn Monkey: this was about a joke! vary unstable, not avalable for unix or IBM AIX, not multi user capable. offcourse it could have improved as we tryed it last year

Clip Pro: vary through software. It dose not have a vary clean interface though. it will probley inprove over time, as the curent release is written in windows 3.1 foxpro.
it has multi user ability,plus handheld computers, as of now ther is no option for linking to the server with wireless conectiveity. it is however capable of runing on novell servers cost $1,800 projects, about $900 invoice $800
multi user $300( I think that covers up to 4 more users, but it could be pre seat)

The service solution: Vary compleat with all the features you could dream of, multi user plus unix suport. cost is about $8,000 grand for a five user setup. yes, it is somewhat expensive, but we have been vary happy with it.

John W Bell

greenlawncare
08-13-2000, 09:48 AM
trimmasters: have another look at lawnmonkey. From what I hear the current software is nothing like what it was a year ago - and you can't beat their support. I do hear that service pro is another a good program, though.