PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants edging/mulching

Honey Do Crew
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Hey guys, I usually just wing these jobs and do my research, but I would like to ask for opinions.

A customer recently asked me to do landscape cleanup, install new edging, and re-mulch. I have some questions.

How do I do this job? I would probably clean up the yard/garden first, remove the old mulch, install the new edging, and then lay the new mulch. Any thoughts?

Also, what is the most efficient way of removing mulch? Do I just do the old fashioned shovel and wheelbarrow, do I park the truck in the grass and just put the mulch straight in the bed, or is there an even easier way?

How do I price this with an employee? I have one guy that helps me. I factor in $45/hr for myself, do I charge them $45/hr for my employee as well or do I drop it to a low price ($35/hr or something like that).

Also, is there more to edging than it seems? I would think I just need to widen the edge and pull out the old edging and put in new edging. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know your input.

Appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks!

TriCountyLawn
04-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Just a few things,

Just mulch over the old stuff unless they are asking for it to be removed. "clean up" to me is blowing the leaves and cutting grasses down etc, I would that then re edge (why are they replacing the edging or do they want new bed edges ?) I dont drive on my customers lawns so thats up to you. And for pricing I included my edging and labor in my per yard price. Hope this helped you. Good luck.

blowerman
04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
We use a Turf Teq power edger for edging and charge by the foot... If not, I know you have a rental place close by, so go get a Brown bed edger. That will take the edging job down to about 15 minutes total.
General clean up of the area and then add new mulch. For the mulch we charge by the yard. For that matter, we'd edge, blow in the mulch and still make you more money than doing yourself.