PDA

View Full Version : Marbain style blades???

TaylorLawn
12-18-2002, 04:12 PM
Has anyone tried the Marbain (I hope Im spelling correctly) style of blades??? Iwas checking out the SCAG website and found these....Apparently they are lighter than the normal factory blades, and made of some composite material or something??? Would these work well in a double bladed situation??? Not as much torque needed to get optimum balde RPM???

bob
12-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Gravely also has these blades available, but I too don't know what they are.

TaylorLawn
12-18-2002, 04:16 PM
If you go to the SCAG website and click on "advantage" you can get a description....still wary though.....

odin
12-18-2002, 04:25 PM
marbain is supposed to be a tougher grade of medal and hold a edge longer.On the scag's we use their oem blades and they all are marbane.

grassdaddy
12-18-2002, 04:36 PM
i bought a new scag last year,the marbain blades stay sharper longer and cut much better than those less expensive ones like those from lesco.i've tried a couple different ones on the scag but the marbain ones are by far the best.

But you' ll pay for em.

Mark
12-18-2002, 04:56 PM
Marbain blades are the best ive ever used, I purchased a new Scag 52 walkbehind back in Febuary and it came with the Marbain's, thats all i purchase anymore. They are made of a harder steel but you have to be careful cause if you hit concreat or some other hard substance they tend to chip, but other wise they are great blades, ive got over 300hrs on 4-sets, I run doubles all the time and they still cut awsome.....Marks Mowing Service

TaylorLawn
12-18-2002, 04:57 PM
Do you purchase them from a dealer?? I use a local tool sharpening service, and Walker dealer, who also sells blades to about every major Lawn Company, and he has been great...The local SCAG dealer has been getting a thumbs down around here for a while, and service has been poor....Do you think they are dealer only?

rodfather
12-18-2002, 05:32 PM
How much are they? I am always interested in trying out new blades with different machines.

odin
12-18-2002, 06:07 PM
rodfather my dealer charges right at 20 bucks per blade for 18inch blades for 52 and 36 inch mowers.dont have a scag 61 or 72 both those would cost even more.

Markus
12-18-2002, 06:13 PM
Taylorlawn i purchase them from my dealer, Its one of the biggest dealers around,and he is a great dealer. rodfather i pay 37.00 a set but there worth it.... Marks Mowing Service ps. I did order some marbain raptor blades from Turf Mag. but they sucked, 15min and they were off, Scags are really good ones.

sdwally
12-19-2002, 09:01 AM
We have them on our Scag's, they have the advantage of staying sharper longer. However if they get bent there is almost no straightening them. If slightly bent, we can get the tip of the blades back to about 1/16" of each other.
We use a shop press to straighten; with bigger bends we've bowed the blade 6" to 8" and stop there with no effect of straightening. We're afraid to go any farther without having the blade snap and go flying.

mklawnman
12-19-2002, 10:08 AM
I have these blades too on my Turf Tiger and the WB, both are advantage decks on them. Yes they do keep a edge longer while cutting everything.
The one thing I remember hearing on this site is that these type of blades that have the "U" shape cutout in them which my blades do, is the reason the Turf Tiger cuts funny at times, leaving a stripe down the middle of the mowing stripe.
On the WB they stripe beautifully, but that is cause i have a velkie on it so my guess is that it knocks down the grass after being cut to act like a roller.
Matt

Oliver1850
12-19-2002, 08:59 PM
The Marbain's are all I run anymore. I tried saving a buck or two with other brands and it wasn't worth it.

They definately keep their edge longer, however, they also are a little more difficult to sharpen due too the hardness.

How many hours do you guys put on your marbains before sharpening? I usually get between 20 and 30 hours.

Jimbo
12-19-2002, 10:58 PM
I have ran them (they came on the mower when new), but I made a switch to regular blades. I think I paid around $14.00 per blade, and I can buy aftermarkets for $7.00 (Gators even).

If you cut perfect lawns they would be a great choice, because they do seem to hold an edge longer. I however cut good and bad lawns plus for sale lots, so I catch some rocks, sticks, and other metal objects often. Those Marbaine blades are so hard they are brittle and one rock will take a chip out the size of a pencil eraser (try grinding that out).

Jim

fatboy5803
01-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Mark

I have a Scagg 36" W/B, been waiting to try double blades. Now I'm learning the different blades out on the market, huh, it'll blow you away of how many different ones. So you double with the Marbain Blades. Which blades ? (mulch, highlift, ?? ).
I'm new in the bussiness, Had a lawn service 20 yrs. ago and it's surely different than before.

Thanks, Lou

TurfGuyTX
01-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by grassdaddy
i bought a new scag last year,the marbain blades stay sharper longer and cut much better than those less expensive ones like those from lesco.i've tried a couple different ones on the scag but the marbain ones are by far the best.

But you' ll pay for em.

My words exactly.

fatboy5803
01-26-2003, 02:09 PM
If the Marbain Blades stay sharper twice as long as aftermarket then it saves time on how often the blades are changed and sharpended ! Does it all work out to be the same ?? Like I said earlier, I'm learning the lawn service all over again...
The more that I read these forums the more I learn from all the replies, Thanks to all.......

Lou

:blob2:

Jimbo
01-26-2003, 02:58 PM
In terms of dollars spent on blades vs sharpening etc. I think it is about even. Meaning the labor of changing/ sharpening cheap blades will be the equivilent of the extra money you spent on the Marbain blades. But do you like changing blades????

Its just like tire sealant. Is it worth the money to put sealant in the tires or would you rather spend time plugging holes??

Like I said the Marbain blades worked great but you better hope you dont hit anything hard!!! I was to a point where I could not afford throwing away those expensive blades just because of one big nick. Thats why I switched back to regular blades.

Also a point about sharpening the Marbain blades. When I first started shaprening blades it was by hand and those Marbain blades are almost impossible to sharpen with a file. A dedicated blade sharpener will have no problem sharpening the Marbain blades.

Jim

P.S. Dont over heat them with a bench or hand grinder because your eliminating the hardness, and you might as well buy standard blades. If the edge has turned blue its too late.