PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Cut Measurement?

Doogiegh
12-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Ok guys,
I came up with a calculator to determine a quality of cut.

It's nothing too fancy, but figured I'd toy with Excel until I got it right.

You put in your blade tip speed, blade length, forward traveling speed and how many inches of the blade you sharpen (cutting edge length)

After a bunch of calculations along the way, it will tell you how many times a blade of grass will get WACKED when you cut it. Of course it doesn't add anything in about the difficulty of discharging those clippings, mulching kits, length of grass being cut, etc.. Just a straight out calculation of how many times that blade is coming around to wack a particular piece of grass while you pass over it going forward..

Let me know what you think.

bubble boy
12-18-2002, 08:30 PM
interesting...never heard or thought of the concept of a proxy for quality.

definately will be off on judging quality as deck design and type of blade is most important IMO

still interesting. guess we are all finding a bit of spare time eh?:D

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 08:35 PM
OK how do you open that?

walker-talker
12-18-2002, 08:38 PM
Way too much time on your hands......lol

MATT

bubble boy
12-18-2002, 08:38 PM
worked for me-using XP and high speed

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 08:58 PM
It only took a second to save but I couldn't open it. I got the "open with" thing. I'll try it later.

mowerconsultant
12-18-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
It only took a second to save but I couldn't open it. I got the "open with" thing. I'll try it later.

You must have Microsoft Office or the Excel component of Office.
I think you can download a free Excel viewer from the Office website, but you will not be able to do anything other than view the .xls .....

I had a similar formula a few years ago, but lost it when my hard drive went south with out me............

Later
Pj

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 10:16 PM
mowerconsultant,

Thanks for the tip. I'll go download it and try it out. Actually, I'm still running a Windows 98 Second Edition operating system. It was highly recomended by my computer pro that I stay with it for security purposes and such for my other business. I don't mind it either because I'm used to it by now.

vipermanz
12-18-2002, 10:23 PM
that's a really cool setup there, it's even understandable:)

Doogiegh
12-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Well, it was all a matter of thinking just how many times DOES a blade of grass get cut. Surely it's not just one swipe with the blade and done.. And way, 19000 fpm blade tip speed sure is quick. I wonder how many times that thing goes around...

And then I figured well, going forward means you're cutting with the front of the blade, then it goes into the "eye" of the blade like a hurricane where not much happens and then the back side of the blade, but if your deck has any rake to it, it's really only cutting on the front I suspect..

But that was the idea behind it.

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 11:04 PM
Well, I guess it would really depend on both deck design and blade style. The air current and flow would have to play a major role in the way clippings are cycled and the amount of times a clipping is cut after the intial cut.