PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Fert. Organic vs. Chemical

Eirik
12-18-2002, 09:33 PM
I'm sure it has been a thread in the past....I was curious what your thoughts were on the subject. I live in Oregon, and have some accounts on an "organic program." Is it realistic in your neck of the woods?

Acorn
12-18-2002, 10:07 PM
It's getting to be a bigger thing here in New Brunswick, Canada. Only a small percentage of companies actually offering it. More and more are asking for it. A lot o fpeople post the little sign on their lawns saying they are chemical free etc

fblandscape
12-19-2002, 12:37 AM
I will do a "quick" comparison of the 3 for you.

Pro's Con's

Salts Cheap high burn potential
high N content more apps needed
quick response surge growth can occur
high leaching potential

Synthetic lower burn potential more expensive
Organics less apps required medium burn potential
(IBDU / PCU medium leaching potential
SCU / PSCU...)

Nat Orgs Politically correct expensive
less apps required more material to move
bio stimulation unpleasant odor
no burn / leach low N content
potential
environmentally friendly
lowers pesticide residues
decreases requirements for disease and insect control
decreases pesticide costs
increases disease resistance.

I have this and other stuff written down somewhere. If you want... I can e-mail it to you.

Randy J
12-19-2002, 11:43 AM
Hey fblandscape, if you could email me a copy of it, I'd appreciate it.

Randy
rdj@gvtc.com

mojo
12-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Glad to see your on the ball. I was involed in the chemical end for 10 years and I packed it in 5 years ago, now only offering safe alternatives. Business has grown over 300%. It's the trend now be non-toxic.

Mojo

www.safelawncare.com

SWD
12-22-2002, 10:50 AM
There is definately a market for organics vs synthetic material use. You have to be knowledgable in both and aware, as mentioned, for the desirable/non desirable effects.
I will use organics, typically upon request.
The reason is due to the lack of knowledgable maintenance practices in use in my area by other lco's. Essentially all they do is mow and blow, very little or no attention is paid to the soil environment at all.
I use synthetics to trigger a response and to quickly effect some edaphic concerns relative to the property I am correcting.
Once I have started to gain a more favorable growth habit, I recommend organics. This is where I am at now.
However, in my expierence, organics are more costly initially and some of my clients have been nuked by the stock market implosion and don't want to spend the money unless they have too. And truthfully, I do not completely trust all organic methods or materials. Once I have empirical data which supports claims of a product's performance, I will feel more comfortable recommending organics.